GDT: 2/26/13 "Is The Pen Mightier?" - Penguins VS Panthers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erick*

Don't watch much Panthers games but always they've always been one of my second or third favorite teams. What's going on with Weiss? Is he playing good and not getting points or is he just struggling? Thanks

He's not playing well at all.

Erick*

I like Kulikov being paired with Gubranson tonight. Kulikov played almost 25 minutes tonight, Guds played 17. I guess all the PP time we had makes up for some of that. Both looked good.

Seems like they've been together for a handful of games now, I think.
I like the pairing.

Kulikov had one of his better games tonight, imo. Nice to see Campbell play like himself tonight again, as well. He was more active, especially on the powerplay. Made a difference in the game. Last time he was this good was the first game of the season, imo.

Gizmo Tkachuk

Registered Loser
Sep 23, 2009
Florida
Seems like they've been together for a handful of games now, I think.
I like the pairing.

Kulikov had one of his better games tonight, imo. Nice to see Campbell play like himself tonight again, as well. He was more active, especially on the powerplay. Made a difference in the game. Last time he was this good was the first game of the season, imo.

Yeah he was finally shooting the puck.

p9ers

May 11, 2011
Toronto

Even if there was four goals allowed, the defense played really well. Tonight I liked everyone that was paired with Gud. Robak on the PP was nice to see also.

ProjectPanthers

Podcast discussing the Florida Panthers
Mar 6, 2002
Towanna
linktr.ee
Just finished watching the replay of the game.

This team man, I swear they will be the death of me. Our powerplay saved our ass today big time. Theo played horribly. He didn't let in one goal that should have gone in (maybe the 4th since it was a bit of a fluke but good position stops that 9/10). All the shots were from a distance and he should have stopped them all. Clemmer made almost as many saves in the 3rd period alone. Gotta keep riding Clemmer as he is clearly the better goaltender right now between the two.

It was nice to see Shore's line NOT carry the offense for a change. Love seeing Kopecky have such a great season. Guy gives it his all and tonight showed that. I also loved the spark from the guys after T-Vo punched Kopy. That full-line scrum was fun to watch. Little bit of passion in these games for a change.

I made sure to watch Timmins and Robak closely today and I was pleased with both. Timmins shows great hustle and, although he's never going to be a big time player, I see him as a serviceable call-up that could very well play on our 4th line later on down there road. He's got a spark about him that he definitely didn't have 2 seasons ago when he played 19 games with us.

Robak is incredibly poised with the puck. I know our Rampage guy said he's not NHL-ready because he makes a lot of defensive mistakes, I haven't seen much of those from him yet. Although I do trust him so I'm sure we'll see our fair share of Colby's mistakes down the road. I like his skating and as I said his patience with the puck is nice to see. He's already better on the offensive side than Guds (but that is kind of expected).

Flash played well today. Nice to see him pot one and get some points.

Campbell played well too. I think some of his concerns to start the season were with the fact that he had to play with Kuba. Soupy's a smart d-man. He realizes if his partner's not up to snuff on the defensive side, he can't rush up ice as much as he used to. Compare his offensive rushes last season to this. He barely does it anymore. I think he trusted Garrison more, which resulted in his confidence to rush up the ice without having to worry about our end. Hopefully he develops a trust with Weaver and can start up his offensive game again.

We're still a very bad team though. We gave up a 3 goal lead which is unacceptable. Nice to see us hold onto the win for a change instead of giving up yet another last minute goal only to lose in overtime 20 seconds in.

Drugs Delaney

Peace be with you.
Jan 31, 2013
Colorado
Just finished watching the replay of the game.

This team man, I swear they will be the death of me. Our powerplay saved our ass today big time. Theo played horribly. He didn't let in one goal that should have gone in (maybe the 4th since it was a bit of a fluke but good position stops that 9/10). All the shots were from a distance and he should have stopped them all. Clemmer made almost as many saves in the 3rd period alone. Gotta keep riding Clemmer as he is clearly the better goaltender right now between the two.

It was nice to see Shore's line NOT carry the offense for a change. Love seeing Kopecky have such a great season. Guy gives it his all and tonight showed that. I also loved the spark from the guys after T-Vo punched Kopy. That full-line scrum was fun to watch. Little bit of passion in these games for a change.

I made sure to watch Timmins and Robak closely today and I was pleased with both. Timmins shows great hustle and, although he's never going to be a big time player, I see him as a serviceable call-up that could very well play on our 4th line later on down there road. He's got a spark about him that he definitely didn't have 2 seasons ago when he played 19 games with us.

Robak is incredibly poised with the puck. I know our Rampage guy said he's not NHL-ready because he makes a lot of defensive mistakes, I haven't seen much of those from him yet. Although I do trust him so I'm sure we'll see our fair share of Colby's mistakes down the road. I like his skating and as I said his patience with the puck is nice to see. He's already better on the offensive side than Guds (but that is kind of expected).

Flash played well today. Nice to see him pot one and get some points.

Campbell played well too. I think some of his concerns to start the season were with the fact that he had to play with Kuba. Soupy's a smart d-man. He realizes if his partner's not up to snuff on the defensive side, he can't rush up ice as much as he used to. Compare his offensive rushes last season to this. He barely does it anymore. I think he trusted Garrison more, which resulted in his confidence to rush up the ice without having to worry about our end. Hopefully he develops a trust with Weaver and can start up his offensive game again.

We're still a very bad team though. We gave up a 3 goal lead which is unacceptable. Nice to see us hold onto the win for a change instead of giving up yet another last minute goal only to lose in overtime 20 seconds in.

The entire division is bad again which is in the Panthers favor. If they can put it together a little bit they could be back in the payoff picture. It's very likely we'll have meaningful games up until the very end of the season which makes me feel better.

I'm not even counting on good goal tending anymore. I'd like to see them go away from the defensive game and open the throttle. I think that's this team's best bet for success this year.

Vilam

#Catlantic
Feb 8, 2012
San Francisco
Seriously, screw the Pens. That was some dirty **** tonight. Adams, Vokoun, Orpik... all of them, piss right off. So glad Kopecky got a hat trick on those ****s.

Goaltending was terrifying as usual, but Jose getting benched did give me a chance to grab this...

xIDko4t.jpg

Anyone know what hat this is? I've only ever seen Jose wear it, and I've never seen it for sale. Would love to find it!

floridada

Jan 31, 2009
Florida
Campbell chirping on twitter lol.

Brian Campbell ‏@bcampbell_51
@drew_shore15 @jonnyhuby11 u 2 go to bed. Passed ur bed time. #kids

“@JonnyHuby11: @bcampbell_51 @drew_shore15 good night grandpa” hahaha. Huby I'm now a Shore fan. Pick him up in the morning.

adam graves

Panther 20 yr sth
Feb 24, 2010
south florida
Campbell chirping on twitter lol.

Brian Campbell ‏@bcampbell_51
@drew_shore15 @jonnyhuby11 u 2 go to bed. Passed ur bed time. #kids

“@JonnyHuby11: @bcampbell_51 @drew_shore15 good night grandpa†hahaha. Huby I'm now a Shore fan. Pick him up in the morning.

These guys are hysterical.

So sad Markstrom nots with them he fits perfectly. Plus we would have won 5-1 last night. No question.

Coach Nate

Angry Rampage Expat
Aug 17, 2008
San Antonio

He is pretty strong with the puck. Makes a few boneheaded passes, but most d-men do at times.

His lapses occur off the puck. Taking a bad angle, untimely pinches, turning the wrong way when backtracking.

That said, he has been better lately, so his good play in Florida doesn't surprise me. It wouldn't surprise me if he is keeping it simple and taking far less chances as the #6 there then he would as the #1 here.

Jacob Roberts

Jan 27, 2011
Jinju, S Korea

I think its a skating thing. He really doesnt have much of a burst anymore. Still very smart and skilled, but I just dont see any explosive skating from him.

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
Where would be if we had solid goaltending this season, well, or at least closer to last season's? Yeah we've had some scoring issues, but in those 5 goal games we should have won.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Seriously, screw the Pens. That was some dirty **** tonight. Adams, Vokoun, Orpik... all of them, piss right off. So glad Kopecky got a hat trick on those ****s.

Goaltending was terrifying as usual, but Jose getting benched did give me a chance to grab this...

xIDko4t.jpg

Anyone know what hat this is? I've only ever seen Jose wear it, and I've never seen it for sale. Would love to find it!
They might get them custom made. Upshall had a really sweet hat I spent hours looking for and then tweeted the trainers made it for him.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
With our terrible division, it is quite possible to know if we have a legitimate chance of winning the division by March 8th. I'd like to see Markstrom called up for our upcoming stretch. I don't know what happened to Theo.

We play Buffalo, Carolina, Carolina, Winnipeg, Washington, Winnipeg for our next 6 games. Then Montreal on the 10th and Tampa on the 12th.

Despite our joke of a season so far, with all those division games we might be able to make a move. Knowing us, we'll split those games.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Where would be if we had solid goaltending this season, well, or at least closer to last season's? Yeah we've had some scoring issues, but in those 5 goal games we should have won.

A couple more wins for sure and with that some confidence because we didn't blow leads which would translate to first in the division because our division is a joke.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
I think its a skating thing. He really doesnt have much of a burst anymore. Still very smart and skilled, but I just dont see any explosive skating from him.

This might be a lack of off-season training not having a training camp and pre-season.

Boothinator

@MrBoothinator
Sep 19, 2009
What an entertaining wild game!!! Nice win but there were some bad breakdowns as usual. At least not the bad defensive plays we have seen before..

Theodore was god awful. All goals didnt look really good especially the first two..

A game without a lazy Weiss. Terrific. I dont think we will need him at all. We got Kopecky..

Fleischmann was hustling all game! Even if you dont score but dont be lazy and Weiss clearly dragged that line down.

So I still hope Tallon will ship both Weiss & Theo out. We dont need them anymore.

And how about Clemmensen. He has been great the past two games. Now he deserves the next few start.

adam graves

Panther 20 yr sth
Feb 24, 2010
south florida
We won last night without:

Kris Versteeg, RW - $4.4 million
Ed Jovanovski, D - $4.125 million
Filip Kuba, D - $4 million
Scottie Upshall, LW - $3.5 million
Stephen Weiss, C $3.1 million
Sean Bergenheim, RW - $2.75 million

Personally, only versteeg and Bergy mean wins or losses for me from these.

Love the kids here. And bring up the 6'6" one. And lets roll.

Lundell4Prez

Yandle = Bad
Jul 5, 2008

xIDko4t.jpg

In Pantherland... My brother got one a couple weeks ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad