GDT: 2/26/13 - 7:30PM EDT - Buffalo VS Tampa Bay

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
It's not dirty it's showing the "pack mentality". All Conacher did was put his arm around Kaleta and try to take him away from Stamkos. He wasn't about to take a penalty but at least he was letting him know this wasn't acceptable. All of the four other players should have been there as well.
The vast majority of great teams are exactly that "teams". All in it together and if you cheap shot one of us, you cheap shot us all. Do you think Chara needed help with Conacher ? I don't think so but two other players were there immediately !! The rest of the Bolts were heading for the bench. THIS IS NOT A TEAM !!!!

Not saying it is, but someone could interpret nastiness as doing ***** moves like slew footing or turtling. That's just being a *****.

I agree with you though.

Last edited:

jg39

SFY is great
Aug 16, 2007
NC
Lee is not responsible for no one backing up Conacher when he's constantly beaten up b/c he is 5'8. Lee is not responsible for 0/6 on the PP. Lee is not responsible for excessive cute plays, no look passing, and lack of traffic in front of the net. There's just about nothing he can do to please some of you, so we get it...you don't like Lee. Any mistake he makes is amplified because you don't want him on this team...got it. The guy shows effort, and doesn't float out there. He makes mistakes, but you can see in his play that he's trying to fix them or recover after the mistake. That's not something I always see with Carle.

As for Boucher, I feel like some fans just want him to thrash his team in the media..."Lee is awful, our team is soft, we have to stop playing like ****." That's not Boucher. He sends the message to the media that all negative comments or areas for improvement stay within the team and its coaches, and that's a good thing. Players don't need to read in the media how their coach feels when he tells them directly what they need to fix. Trust me, he does that, but in a way that is designed to improve the player and eliminate his mistakes. He's not someone that is going to cater to the fans with a Tortorella-esque tongue lashing of his roster.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Lee is not responsible for no one backing up Conacher when he's constantly beaten up b/c he is 5'8. Lee is not responsible for 0/6 on the PP. Lee is not responsible for excessive cute plays, no look passing, and lack of traffic in front of the net. There's just about nothing he can do to please some of you, so we get it...you don't like Lee. Any mistake he makes is amplified because you don't want him on this team...got it. The guy shows effort, and doesn't float out there. He makes mistakes, but you can see in his play that he's trying to fix them or recover after the mistake. That's not something I always see with Carle.

As for Boucher, I feel like some fans just want him to thrash his team in the media..."Lee is awful, our team is soft, we have to stop playing like ****." That's not Boucher. He sends the message to the media that all negative comments or areas for improvement stay within the team and its coaches, and that's a good thing. Players don't need to read in the media how their coach feels when he tells them directly what they need to fix. Trust me, he does that, but in a way that is designed to improve the player and eliminate his mistakes. He's not someone that is going to cater to the fans with a Tortorella-esque tongue lashing of his roster.

I also agree with this.

As long as Boucher isn't saying these things in the room, whatevs. It's just that we don't know what's being said there so we have to go off what's said to the media.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL

If he was doing that and the players aren't responding, that means he's lost the team, no? Or the other alternative is that he isn't doing that. So...either way I see it as time for Boucher to move on.

bov

Nov 13, 2010
I agree. No one answers the bell. It's what we brought Labrie in for, but he never did anything. I saw Angelidis in TWO fights against Albany, in ONE game! That was awesome. He's not afraid to stick up for his teammates and show the other team what's what. That's why he's the captain. Bring him up, he won't be afraid. Bring Gudas up, he won't be afraid to throw the body or fight either. We need toughness, this team is too soft. We can't have opposing teams bouncing our players around with no repercussion. That being said, Labrie is going to be back from his conditioning assignment tomorrow. Hopefully if the Rangers play a little rough, we can give it right back.

Crombeen was supposed to patrol and keep guys honest, but I feel his fights have no effect on the team, or just take energy away. Fights I think only energize teams if people are swinging away with reckless abandon or it's totally one-sided. Crombeen has only had one of these fights, and I don't remember who it was against. Both were swinging away.

I don't think it's fair to criticize Labrie since he has played so sparingly. He always sticks up for teammates in Syracuse and I'm sure he'll eventually get the chance to show that he's willing to do the same thing for for us.

If we played with half the toughness and character that Syracuse does, I'd be happy.

jg39

SFY is great
Aug 16, 2007
NC
If he was doing that and the players aren't responding, that means he's lost the team, no? Or the other alternative is that he isn't doing that. So...either way I see it as time for Boucher to move on.

He has not lost the team, and I think it is a serious exaggeration to think so. As for the other point, do you really think he's not trying to improve the team? Listen to just about every thing MSL says, because he often acknowledges the players need to do more. Don't forget that it is a tall order to make sure a team does not get complacent after winning 5 of the first 6, and I think some players are putting in equal effort as the beginning of the season, and expecting equal results. I know for damn sure GB is asking more of his players.

Those are not the only two possibilites, and don't dismiss Boucher as not doing anything. You have to acknowledge that whether or not you like his style, it's Boucher's way of doing things. He keeps his hand close to the vest, and is not someone who lets the world know what he's doing and how he's doing it.

Does the PP need help? Absolutely. However, the process is ongoing, and there is not going to be one speech or one coaching note that GB delivers, and causes the team to win 10 straight.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
He has not lost the team, and I think it is a serious exaggeration to think so. As for the other point, do you really think he's not trying to improve the team? Listen to just about every thing MSL says, because he often acknowledges the players need to do more. Don't forget that it is a tall order to make sure a team does not get complacent after winning 5 of the first 6, and I think some players are putting in equal effort as the beginning of the season, and expecting equal results. I know for damn sure GB is asking more of his players.

Those are not the only two possibilites, and don't dismiss Boucher as not doing anything. You have to acknowledge that whether or not you like his style, it's Boucher's way of doing things. He keeps his hand close to the vest, and is not someone who lets the world know what he's doing and how he's doing it.

Does the PP need help? Absolutely. However, the process is ongoing, and there is not going to be one speech or one coaching note that GB delivers, and causes the team to win 10 straight.

I'm not necessarily saying that he's lost the team, I just don't think he's a good coach. I personally think that Fleming was the key to that coaching staff, and now that he's gone they are being exposed for how weak they are. Whether you agree or not, that's my opinion. And no one can tell me that we've been as good as we were since Wayne had to leave. By the way, those really are the only two possibilities, 1) he's preaching and the team isn't listening (for one reason or another) or 2) he's not preaching. Because if he was preaching and the players were listening and working at it, we'd be seeing results. I'm ok with process, but not when we get progressively worse every year despite the roster getting stronger. Also, one other thing, we're gonna regret it if Cooper gets a job that isn't within this organization (which could happen as early as next year).

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
I don't think it's fair to criticize Labrie since he has played so sparingly. He always sticks up for teammates in Syracuse and I'm sure he'll eventually get the chance to show that he's willing to do the same thing for for us.

If we played with half the toughness and character that Syracuse does, I'd be happy.

I agree Labrie hasn't really had a proper chance to show what he can do.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Miller won this game for them. This Lightning team is frustrating. They are good enough to be one of the top teams in the league but are fighting for a playoff spot and probably will until the end. Seems like they cant be consistent with anything. They score goals but then shut it off when the defense and goaltending starts to play well and then vice versa. It could be lack of practice but nobody has practiced. They need to start getting it done. Its getting close to the end already.

jg39

SFY is great
Aug 16, 2007
NC
I'm not necessarily saying that he's lost the team, I just don't think he's a good coach. I personally think that Fleming was the key to that coaching staff, and now that he's gone they are being exposed for how weak they are. Whether you agree or not, that's my opinion. And no one can tell me that we've been as good as we were since Wayne had to leave. By the way, those really are the only two possibilities, 1) he's preaching and the team isn't listening (for one reason or another) or 2) he's not preaching. Because if he was preaching and the players were listening and working at it, we'd be seeing results. I'm ok with process, but not when we get progressively worse every year despite the roster getting stronger. Also, one other thing, we're gonna regret it if Cooper gets a job that isn't within this organization (which could happen as early as next year).

For the record, I don't want you to think I discount or don't appreciate an opinion that goes against mine. At the end of the day, we both want Lightning wins!

I can agree with some of this. I think Fleming was a bigger loss than many were aware of, and something that, in many ways, TB/GB still hasn't replaced. I also agree that there is a disconnect between coaching and the players in terms of on ice results. I don't think all its 100% Boucher, I think a lot of it is in the assistants and the goalie coach. However, Boucher is ultimately responsible as the head coach. For me though, I prefer Boucher at the helm right now.

If we were to replace him, I think it would have to be Cooper that replaced him. Cooper has a lot of potential. I just don't think Boucher's record of 93-70-20 (as of today) over < 2.5 seasons has been bad enough to can him, and I think it would be a stretch to do so. I think assistant coaches are more of a needed fix as opposed to a head coach replacement, but that's my opinion.

jg39

SFY is great
Aug 16, 2007
NC
Doesn't seem to be a problem for the Black Hawks does it?

Neither does goaltending, power play, scoring, or a sub .500 road record.

Chicago is also not putting in the same effort level they did at the beginning of the season...they have turned it up and grinded out some serious performances.

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
As the biggest critic of Lee, he had a couple "that was Lee?" moments last night, still does his giveaways, but he isnt to blame on any goal, and he sure as hell isnt the problem with our team going 0/6 on the powerplay.

This team still hasnt woken up. Disappointing.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
For the record, I don't want you to think I discount or don't appreciate an opinion that goes against mine. At the end of the day, we both want Lightning wins!

I can agree with some of this. I think Fleming was a bigger loss than many were aware of, and something that, in many ways, TB/GB still hasn't replaced. I also agree that there is a disconnect between coaching and the players in terms of on ice results. I don't think all its 100% Boucher, I think a lot of it is in the assistants and the goalie coach. However, Boucher is ultimately responsible as the head coach. For me though, I prefer Boucher at the helm right now.

If we were to replace him, I think it would have to be Cooper that replaced him. Cooper has a lot of potential. I just don't think Boucher's record of 93-70-20 (as of today) over < 2.5 seasons has been bad enough to can him, and I think it would be a stretch to do so. I think assistant coaches are more of a needed fix as opposed to a head coach replacement, but that's my opinion.

Oh, I absolutely agree that it's not just Boucher that's the problem. The entire coaching staff needs to go in my opinion. Boucher, Lacroix, Raymond and Frantz all need a kick out the door because they just aren't showing results in spite of an improved roster and greater depth from the minors as Cooper keeps making these kids into quality players. Again, only my opinion, but that's all I can offer.

dbieon12

Vinik-Brisebois-Cooper
Jul 22, 2010
The problem with the team is simple: Gary Bettman.

Gary Bettman allows Jeff Vinik to be the owner of our Tampa Bay Lightning.
Jeff Vinik allows Steve Yzerman to be the GM.
Steve Yzerman allows Guy Boucher to by the coach.
Guy Boucher allows the players to play poorly without any consequence.
The players, without reason to improve, play like **it.

If we get rid of Gary Bettman, we might have a chance to win the cup this year.

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
The problem with the team is simple: Gary Bettman.

Gary Bettman allows Jeff Vinik to be the owner of our Tampa Bay Lightning.
Jeff Vinik allows Steve Yzerman to be the GM.
Steve Yzerman allows Guy Boucher to by the coach.
Guy Boucher allows the players to play poorly without any consequence.
The players, without reason to improve, play like **it.

If we get rid of Gary Bettman, we might have a chance to win the cup this year.

You may be right I forgot everything was Bettman's fault :nod:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad