GDT: 2/23/24 Jets @ Hawks 7:30pm NBC sports Chicago

Status
Not open for further replies.

Backyard Hockey

Dealing With It
Feb 13, 2015
Kurashev and Korch were bad tonite. Bedard did not have a good game

Richardson is the worst coach in the NHL by a country mile

I inadvertently put on the ‘hawkscast’ and kept with it. John Scott was absolutely flabbergasted that Bedard wasn’t on the ice in OT. And he called out the coaching on the pp

Reactions: Pez68

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
Yea I don't think 98 needs the opposing teams defenseman to be tired for him to do his thing. That was just simply a dumb decision. He's still learning as a coach, I get it. But you put your best players on the ice for OT. If the Hawks lost the game with Bedard (and/or Kurashev) on the ice, this wouldn't be talked about.

Wally1112pac

Three Year Rebuild lol
Jul 10, 2019

I like to think the hockey gods are real, and this was their way of telling Luke that he’s hilariously stupid.

Foligno is a 4th liner/13th forward with below average speed.

He shouldn't see the ice in OT.

I'm sure the Jets eyes lit up when they saw him.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Yep. He's just a terrible coach. Perfect for what should be their last tank season, but I really don't want to see this clown behind the bench next season.
I dont think this should be the last tank season, I don't know why people have wanted that so quickly. But nobody, nobody hard tear downs and can step up that quickly. And the aim is to build a contender with talent and 4-5 elite talents (spread around in roles) they have 1, a couple maybes, you can eventually trade/Ufa 1. But ideally they get another top 5 pick besides this year

shakes the clown

Jan 11, 2010
Chicago
I inadvertently put on the ‘hawkscast’ and kept with it. John Scott was absolutely flabbergasted that Bedard wasn’t on the ice in OT. And he called out the coaching on the pp

SCott's an idiot. Putting Bedard out for the first shift of OT would be a terrible decision. He can't win a draw so putting him out there for the startr of OT pretty much guarantees he will spend his entire first shift just chasing the puck as the Jets play keep away till Bedard's shift is over.

I've been saying for weeks that the proper deployment for Bedard in OT is to wait till we have possession and then bring him over the boards.

Which brings me to my actual criticism of Richardson. The OT plan actually worked because the Hawks actually won the opening draw in OT. BUT, the problem is that even though we won the draw, Richardson made no effort to get Bedard on the ice! The plan should've been to have the players come off the ice as soon as they got control of possession so we could get our best offensive player out there.

Instead Richardson just left the guys out there which resulted in a poor entry into the zone, a turnover and the puck in our net 10 seconds later.

In summary, not starting Bedard in OT = SMART. Not immediately changing the players and getting him out there 5 seconds into OT once we won the opening draw = STUPID

HeisenBaez

Nov 3, 2008
Heart of Dixie
Did Conner get lippy in the lockerroom or something? Otherwise 98 should had been on the ice to start OT. I would have more respect for Richardson, if he came out and admitted his mistake instead of trying to justify the decision.

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
The guy is a lame duck coach on a team that has lost 43 of 58 games, I can’t get too upset at anything he does right now. He blows, but whatever. This team has the worst roster in the NHL, maybe one of the worst in all of sports. Yawn………

Reactions: ClydeLee

Kurtosis

GHG
May 26, 2010
The Village Within the City
The guy is a lame duck coach on a team that has lost 43 of 58 games, I can’t get too upset at anything he does right now. He blows, but whatever. This team has the worst roster in the NHL, maybe one of the worst in all of sports. Yawn………
Pretty much where I’m at. He’s not doing a good job of cultivating the young talent though which is the more damning indictment.

EddieTheEagle

Sep 17, 2006
Pretty much where I’m at. He’s not doing a good job of cultivating the young talent though which is the more damning indictment.
Honestly, I have no idea if he is doing a good job of it or not. Obviously, we all expected Reichel to have a much better campaign than he has but realistically, who is having a good campaign on the Hawks aside from Vlasic, Bedsy, and maaaybe Dicky? While people bag on Lt. Luke for Lukas and KK's development, is he not also doing fine with Vlasic or is that entirely the player?

This isn't a roster or environment where it is easy to judge what is working and what isn't.

Let's be patient with things, build the roster properly, get a stronger group of players and then see where we are at.

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
Honestly, I have no idea if he is doing a good job of it or not. Obviously, we all expected Reichel to have a much better campaign than he has but realistically, who is having a good campaign on the Hawks aside from Vlasic, Bedsy, and maaaybe Dicky? While people bag on Lt. Luke for Lukas and KK's development, is he not also doing fine with Vlasic or is that entirely the player?

This isn't a roster or environment where it is easy to judge what is working and what isn't.

Let's be patient with things, build the roster properly, get a stronger group of players and then see where we are at.
I think Korch has been fine. Defensively he’s been pretty solid, despite a poor game last night. Sure he could be more physical, but he’s a lanky 19 year old, he’s still a few years away from filling into his frame.

As for the offense, it’s not on him. He moves the puck well, but the forwards can’t hold onto it because they all suck. He’ll start putting up points when the team has forwards who are able to hold onto the puck and actually make plays. I am happy with his season so far, and the people who are disappointed wanted to see Cale Makar, which was never going to happen.

shakes the clown

Jan 11, 2010
Chicago
Did Conner get lippy in the lockerroom or something? Otherwise 98 should had been on the ice to start OT. I would have more respect for Richardson, if he came out and admitted his mistake instead of trying to justify the decision.
See my post above. He should NOT have been on the ice to start OT. The coaching error was not immediately subbing and getting him on the ice as soon as we won the opening draw and gained possession.

Reactions: ClydeLee

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
See my post above. He should NOT have been on the ice to start OT. The coaching error was not immediately subbing and getting him on the ice as soon as we won the opening draw and gained possession.

There's really no reason you can't have him start OT with Foligno or Dickinson... You just want someone on the ice to win the draw. Same way Hawks deployed Kane in OT.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
There's really no reason you can't have him start OT with Foligno or Dickinson... You just want someone on the ice to win the draw. Same way Hawks deployed Kane in OT.
Kane didn't always start ots, plenty times you had Toews or other to be a face off guy like Kampf, Kruger, or whoever

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
May as well have Bedard out there taking the draw considering we don't have anyone particularly good at it. Quick stat check and the best guys with the most faceoffs taken this year are Dickinson and Foligno both around 49%.

HeisenBaez

Nov 3, 2008
Heart of Dixie
I read your post and I don't agree with it. This is the time to let play him in all situations. How else is he supposed to know what to work on if he doesn't play in certain situations? 98 should have played.

Paul Allen

Oct 24, 2011
Los Angeles
I read your post and I don't agree with it. This is the time to let play him in all situations. How else is he supposed to know what to work on if he doesn't play in certain situations? 98 should have played.
Right. I’d rather them lose 25 seconds in with 98 out to start verse the way they did.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
Putting this game on NHL network makes my blood boil.
Should be on nbc sports Chicago
IMG_7914.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad