GDT: 2/22/15 - 7:00PM EDT - Tampa Bay @ Colorado

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I just meant in the last minute, where TKO had just come off the ice. Maybe they were fatigued a bit and that's why Coop kept them on the bench. I don't really know. If at all possible I'd have preferred them out there.

Possibly, just sucks seeing that they get 3mins~ less per game than Stamkos does considering Johnson and Palat play the PK too.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Not trying to be a jerk here just trying to have a conversation and trying to joke around to soften this loss. I was only poking fun at FoY, but whatever. Think we all need to cool off a little. Sorry if I was out of line.

I think he was poking fun in kind of the same way. ;)

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Come on. :shakehead Stammer is arguably the best goal scorer in the league. You'd be crazy to not have him out there in that situation.

I would love to hear the argument for Stammer over Ovechkin for the past 3 years, hard to "argue" against 1st, 1st, and currently 1st in goals over that span.

Brie

bearer of bad news
Jul 5, 2014
On another note, we've passed the 200 goal mark (have now scored 203 goals total), that's not bad with the terrible PP we have.

Glide5

Apr 16, 2012
Tampa Bay
Well this was a weird game. Guess we can see that Vasi is human after all, and that this team was gassed. 5 games in 8 days will do that. Despite this bad game, still happy with the road trip, and this month. I really expected it to be a lot worse. We just have to stick it to Chicago to really set the temp for the TDL and the end of the year push.

Really don't get all the Stamkos hate right now, but I guess it comes with the territory. Should he be the Captain? Prolly not, hes still young and not ready for the role I feel. Is he still the face of the franchise? Yes, and that isnt going to change because he's having a bad season by his standards. We are lucky to have TKO, without them our season is done for, but this team is still scoring at an insane clip. Try to be happy about what we have, which is a fun team to watch... besides when we are on the PP, which makes us all want to drink until we forget the misery of watching the PP.

CarpeNoctem

Chilling w The Chief
Oct 29, 2013
In The Night
The truth was that 5 bad minutes at the start of the 2nd period killed us, that was surely the biggest factor. BUT there were several little things that hurt a lot in the aggregate... 1)Bad PP again, this has to get remedied. 2)Trouble passing out of our zone was bad all game and has been an issue in several others this month as well 3)Lack of a good net-front presence in the offensive zone. We're lacking that Malone/2010 presence. The big guy who was nearly impossible to shove out from under the other goalie and had skilled hands to boot. Cally's not big/strong enough to be that guy.

They expected Morrow would be able to do that but he hasn't. I think Connolly might be able to do this in the future, and Pacquette can kind of do it occasionally but we lack it overall.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
The truth was that 5 bad minutes at the start of the 2nd period killed us, that was surely the biggest factor. BUT there were several little things that hurt a lot in the aggregate... 1)Bad PP again, this has to get remedied. 2)Trouble passing out of our zone was bad all game and has been an issue in several others this month as well 3)Lack of a good net-front presence in the offensive zone. We're lacking that Malone/2010 presence. The big guy who was nearly impossible to shove out from under the other goalie and had skilled hands to boot. Cally's not big/strong enough to be that guy.

They expected Morrow would be able to do that but he hasn't. I think Connolly might be able to do this in the future, and Pacquette can kind of do it occasionally but we lack it overall.

I doubt there were any offensive expectations on Morrow this year. It looked more like he was signed because Steve Yzerman realized his oldest forward was something like 29 at the time of the signing.

But yeah, if Connolly can do that, I'll come all the way off the fence and be in favor of keeping him.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
How many times lately does it seem like Connolly is the guy who just isn't fazed by being down in a game? It's like he always scores a goal when the team needs to get back into it.

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
Are we seriously turning into the old run n gun Caps team that just hopes that Ovi and Bäckström scores more goals than the rest of the team lets in? At least they have improved with a new coach and career years for their dmen but yeah....

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Are we seriously turning into the old run n gun Caps team that just hopes that Ovi and Bäckström scores more goals than the rest of the team lets in? At least they have improved with a new coach and career years for their dmen but yeah....

That was Stamkos and St.louis 2009-2013. If anything we're more like the powerhouse 2010 Caps team with ridiculous offense, questionable defense and unproven goaltending.

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
That was Stamkos and St.louis 2009-2013. If anything we're more like the powerhouse 2010 Caps team with ridiculous offense, questionable defense and unproven goaltending.

True, but doesn't sound much better. :laugh:

xteesy

Jun 19, 2014
Tampa

In what way is that argument better? :help: haha

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
None, I'm saying I don't see us going very far with the current defense and a questionable Bishop.

I think we have all agreed since way earlier this season that other fans are way overrating us. I think we'd have a really tough time even grabbing a wild card spot if we were in Central.

Either way, playoffs will be tough, I don't expect much if defence isn't sorted by then but hopefully it'll be at least patched up slightly with a rental or something (if even that helps us). I just hope we don't end up with a 0-4 first round series again.

Maelmoor

Apr 20, 2004
Stockholm, Sweden
Way too much negativity here, we have done a great road trip and are almost done with our toughest month schedule wise, it's a young team and they are growing all the time.

I am not expecting us to win the cup this year and there are for sure things we need to improve on but we are in such a good position, look at the team, the young players emerging, the prospect depth, we have a great ownwer, top-notch infrastructure, great GM and coach etc

Sometimes I cannot understand how spoiled fans can be :shakehead

AlphaCatalyst

Elite Fan
Jun 27, 2007
Calgary
We all knew this month was going to be tough and we came out a little lower in the standings than we could/should have. We have ample opportunity next month to make up for that in a direct way as we face several divisional opponents, many multiple times.

Florida x2
Buffalo
Toronto x2
Montreal x3
Boston x2
Detroit x2

All in one months time.
I feel more confidant that the team will have a better w% next month than they have this one (so far )

The Lightnings fate is in their own hands.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Some of you guys are looking back at Vinny with rose colored lenses as far as him being more passionate and whatnot. I love the guy but he definitely coasted through games and was pretty quiet as captain compared to Stamkos.

I think people were referring to our 2011 playoff run when Vinny stepped up big time. A thing Stammer has yet to do. Then again, it's not really fair to compare a then 30-year old former Stanley Cup winner (Vinny) to a young Stammer on one and a half legs in 2014.

Edit: I've moved several posts to the general Steven Stamkos discussion thread since we've been discussing 'Ovi vs. Stamkos', his next contract and all kinds of topics related to Stammer rather than the Avs game.

Last edited:

ArmaHedman

Nov 30, 2006
Sarasota, FL
I was not on here last night, but watched the game. I was pretty disappointed and frustrated like most (all) of you.

Vasy was revealed as human and a rookie with 10 games under his belt.

PP failed to score and continues to look like we have a plan sometimes and other times like they just throw them out there and say have fun!

Stammer continues to try and push through. He needs to realize he cannot do it all himself. This is the 4 or 5 time he tries to carry the puck end to end all by himself and gets robbed of the puck and it ends up in our net.

And I confess I turned it off when Colorado scored that 5th goal.

But it was the 5th game in 8 nights and they were playing at elevation. Before the road trip we were worried they might not get a point and they held their own out there against some tough teams.

There are 92 games + playoffs, you have to have a short memory good or bad and be onto the next one. :yo:

Lets Go Bolts!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad