GDT: 2/21/15 - 8:00PM EDT - Tampa Bay @ Arizona

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Honest assessment of Stamkos' play this season?

Has he been our best player? Lolno.

Has he been our best forward? Hell no - that goes to Johnson.

Has he been our second best forward? Nope, that goes to either Palat or Kucherov.

Has he been our fourth best forward? Eh............ maybe. But considering the opportunities, I would even say a guy like Killorn or Boyle have done more with their opportunities when you consider everything they bring to the table.

So we have him at best our fourth best forward, and possibly even sixth on the list. That's not even factoring in the fact that Garrison and Stralman have been better than him when factoring in defenders.

CarpeNoctem

Chilling w The Chief
Oct 29, 2013
In The Night
I hate to say this, but it's getting to the point where I'm not sure I want us to re-sign him at $8+m. If we could get a strong return for his rights, I'd want us to do it.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Not sure I would get on Stamkos case for not passing to Palat, him giving the puck away again and it leading to an opponent goal, that is something to get on his case.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
I can't believe Stamkos is getting all this hate because he scored an empty netter. This is getting ridiculous now.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
It's not just because of the empty netter.....

This. The lack of accountability people want to put on the captain of the team is pathetic. He has not been good this year, and his dumb ass play directly led to a goal against today, while contributing none (short of the empty netter).

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
It's not just because of the empty netter.....

This. The lack of accountability people want to put on the captain of the team is pathetic. He has not been good this year, and his dumb ass play directly led to a goal against today, while contributing none (short of the empty netter).

So then what is it about? His two mistakes (I admit, they were huge gaffes that directly resulted in goals against)? They were very bad errors, but he has been playing very well besides those. To only look at the two errors and not credit him for how he's played the rest of the last 5 or 6 games is unfair. He has been flying lately and his line has looked dangerous every shift. They have had stretches lately where they looked like TKO back in it's heyday.

NatoGhost

Jun 27, 2013

There is no questioning Stamkos has made a bunch of horrible decisions this year which have lead to breakaways, odd man rushes, and goals on numerous occasions.

We have bargains on our hands with Palat, Johnson, Kucherov and others, and we're lucky for that. If we give Stamkos 10m+ though, what are we going to do when they need new contracts?

Stamkos is a great goal scorer but not necessarily a great player right now IMO. In the past he has been great for stretches when he was playing a decent to good 2 way game and scoring a ton and not making TERRIBLE giveaways...He's always had some mistakes with passes and stuff because he pushes the limits but these giveaways need to stop.

VinikToWinIt

Number 1 Bull****
Jun 15, 2014
South Florida
Come on guys. Every player out there has had a bad year, and not all of them have to deal with coming back from a broken leg. I'm not too worried, he'll work his way out of his slump one way or another. The guy is having a rough patch, but he works his *** off and always has the right attitude. Some of you are putting him under a microscope and getting frustrated. 10 mil/year or less and I'm happy.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
So then what is it about? His two mistakes (I admit, they were huge gaffes that directly resulted in goals against)? They were very bad errors, but he has been playing very well besides those. To only look at the two errors and not credit him for how he's played the rest of the last 5 or 6 games is unfair. He has been flying lately and his line has looked dangerous every shift. They have had stretches lately where they looked like TKO back in it's heyday.

His line has looked dangerous every shift - yet he still is only a PPG (with one of those points being the empty netter, and the other the wide open shot set up by Killorn). And that's just over the last 5 games.

Stop making excuses for his **** play. The only difference between now and the first two thirds of the season is he has been less ****** - he's still not outplaying/outperforming TKO, a bunch of sophomores in the league, and he's not even been the best guy on his line.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
His line has looked dangerous every shift - yet he still is only a PPG (with one of those points being the empty netter, and the other the wide open shot set up by Killorn). And that's just over the last 5 games.

Stop making excuses for his **** play. The only difference between now and the first two thirds of the season is he has been less ****** - he's still not outplaying/outperforming TKO, a bunch of sophomores in the league, and he's not even been the best guy on his line.

It's quite clear that you are zealously against Stamkos at this point. I look forward to seeing your posts when he gets his game back on track.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
It's quite clear that you are zealously against Stamkos at this point. I look forward to seeing your posts when he gets his game back on track.

Excellent job refuting a single thing I said.

I would ****ing love if he stopped being an anchor and was a net positive on the ice. Fact is that's not the case - he's ****.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
Excellent job refuting a single thing I said.

I would ****ing love if he stopped being an anchor and was a net positive on the ice. Fact is that's not the case - he's ****.

Yes, he's been quite the anchor with a 54% CF% (good for 4th on the team, 2nd among regulars) and 52.2 FF% (good for 6th, 3rd among regulars) since February 8th. The past 6 games he has been very good. I'm the first to admit he has been bad most of the year, but now that he is finally looking dangerous people are really going to flame him for two mistakes?

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
very sorry came back lol

anyway I call like I see it I have mentioned this on board starting over a year ago stamkos is not a good decision maker or even a great center

BUT is flat out one of the best players and most dangerous players in the game top five and that is with this SHIOT TKO stupidity a lot of you are spouting.

Drouin is coming kucherov might be playing with him at some point it will be fine he is wayyyyyyyyyyyyy better then ovie. GET A CLUE PEOPLE

he is doing nothing he has not done for years he makes bad choices and passes but he is truly a danger to other teams to score every minute he is on ice.

His stats will go back to 50 goals shoot he might get there this year but I understand for some of you that is not good enough

:help:clueless

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
Yes, he's been quite the anchor with a 54% CF% (good for 4th on the team, 2nd among regulars) and 52.2 FF% (good for 6th, 3rd among regulars) since February 8th. The past 6 games he has been very good. I'm the first to admit he has been bad most of the year, but now that he is finally looking dangerous people are really going to flame him for two mistakes?

When those mistakes end up in the back of the net and are totally indefensible as hockey plays?

Yeah.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
When those mistakes end up in the back of the net and are totally indefensible as hockey plays?

Yeah.

It's completely fair to say a player sucks because he plays very well 95% of the time but makes two mistakes that result in two goals. Fact is that he has 7 points in his last 7 games. 4 goals scored during that time while being responsible for two goals against.

Again, I admit those mistakes can't be a regular occurrence, but all this hate is unwarranted. He is committing mistakes of commission. He is trying too hard to make things happen. Perhaps we forget the days of our beloved Vinny dogging it for 90% of the year, yet we worship him. Stamkos is trying too hard and he now sucks.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
It's completely fair to say a player sucks because he plays very well 95% of the time but makes two mistakes that result in two goals. Fact is that he has 7 points in his last 7 games. 4 goals scored during that time while being responsible for two goals against.

Again, I admit those mistakes can't be a regular occurrence, but all this hate is unwarranted. He is committing mistakes of commission. He is trying too hard to make things happen. Perhaps we forget the days of our beloved Vinny dogging it for 90% of the year, yet we worship him. Stamkos is trying too hard and he now sucks.

They are and it is. 61 games on going now.

Obviously

Dec 4, 2013
A season and a half of good hockey and it got to your guys head. The lightning would take a huge step backward losing Stamkos

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
This is absolutely absurd. I can't believe we're talking about trading Stamkos right now. Tampa Bay Leafs board is not a place I'd like to be.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
They are and it is. 61 games on going now.

Has Stamkos really made these mistakes all season? Name one other time besides the one against LA and the one tonight that a Stamkos turnover has directly resulted in a goal against. Also show me one other time where Stamkos has looked this dangerous for a stretch of games at a time. He seems to be getting his mojo back, be careful how much you rip him or you may end up eating crow.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad