GDT: 2/18/16 - 7:30PM EDT - Winnipeg VS Tampa Bay

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
we all know Carle is poised for one of the great playoff runs this year just to completely mind **** all of us.

FinnLightning26

Death and no taxes
Sep 16, 2007
Lapland
Mixed bag. We weren't playing badly before the epic collapse. We were giving up shots, but not huge chance. Our own chances were higher quality. ...Then the collapse. One of the worst moments in a season full of bad moments.

Was it just me, or was this one of Stamkos's best games, shift-for-shift, of the year? He seemed to be making things happen a lot more than we're used to. There was one play where he simply jumped up and used an explosive first step to force a turnover. Reminded me of vintage Stamkos. Great to see him get the winner.

Just a weird, weird game.

Oh. And if there were a Hall of Fame for diving, they'd likely waive the waiting period to induct Ryan Callahan.

He actually drove to the net on that goal he scored. He needs to do a lot more of that.

AlphaCatalyst

Elite Fan
Jun 27, 2007
Calgary
Based on some of the posts from the main boards, you can forget about the Broadstreet Bullies because the Channelside Cheaters have arrived.

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
I hope when Vladdy comes back they put him back on the first line. Would like to see:

Vladdy / Stammer / Callahan
Palat / Johnson / Kuch
Killorn / Filp / March
Paquette / Boyle / Brown

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Unfortunate situation regarding Little, but Jets fans' reactions are pretty funny.

TheDeuce

Halak, Ryder, and a second.
Feb 22, 2009
Hey Gents,

I usually steer clear of the enemy GDT but yesterday felt like some kind of shared transcendental experience so I'm popping my head in to ask something.

I was on the road and had to listen to the game on XM radio which featured the Tampa radio broadcast feed. Your colour commentator was interesting in a number of ways.

Who is that guy? How do you like him?

All the Best,

m.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Unless he couldn't do the game, normally it's Phil Esposito doing color on the radio for home games. The Lightning are his baby (as close to literal as it can get since he helped secure the team and was its first GM) so if he was particularly biased on the call I hope that's understandable. But yeah he's quite a character and we love him. :)

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
Unfortunate situation regarding Little, but Jets fans' reactions are pretty funny.

Things like this are why I try extra hard to read the rules and be unbiased when it's my own guy being hit. I think the most heated I've ever gotten on HF was when Kulikov destroyed Seguin's knee and ruined his chances for the Art Ross and Richard last year and even then I was like "This is clipping and here is why it is suspendable even though he has no history and Seguin was puck watching(with his knee ?? Apparently.)." Sometimes unfortunate hits happen but not every ugly hit is illegal. I find that the best arguments involve the actual rules instead of blind emotional ranting on either side. But I can understand why emotions are high when it's a valuable player like Little

Sometimes I read something that just makes me want to smash my head repeatedly against my keyboard though lol

AlphaCatalyst

Elite Fan
Jun 27, 2007
Calgary
Hey Gents,

I usually steer clear of the enemy GDT but yesterday felt like some kind of shared transcendental experience so I'm popping my head in to ask something.

I was on the road and had to listen to the game on XM radio which featured the Tampa radio broadcast feed. Your colour commentator was interesting in a number of ways.

Who is that guy? How do you like him?

All the Best,

m.

Usually it's the play by play guy Dave Mishkin people find "Interesting" for the radio broadcasts.

But as Hoek said Color is done by the Legend Phil Esposito.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Things like this are why I try extra hard to read the rules and be unbiased when it's my own guy being hit. I think the most heated I've ever gotten on HF was when Kulikov destroyed Seguin's knee and ruined his chances for the Art Ross and Richard last year and even then I was like "This is clipping and here is why it is suspendable even though he has no history and Seguin was puck watching(with his knee ?? Apparently.)." Sometimes unfortunate hits happen but not every ugly hit is illegal. I find that the best arguments involve the actual rules instead of blind emotional ranting on either side. But I can understand why emotions are high when it's a valuable player like Little

Sometimes I read something that just makes me want to smash my head repeatedly against my keyboard though lol

I've definitely sided against the Lightning in cases before. I was shocked when Kronwall got a game last year. (That's not to say I wasn't happy about it.) I thought Gudas was going to get games for the Upshall hit too. I was wrong. And there was a Kucherov hit last year (?) that definitely had me nervous.

I really wasn't even nervous about this one. Looked pretty clear cut. Unfortunate incident, but not predatory in the least.

TheDeuce

Halak, Ryder, and a second.
Feb 22, 2009
Usually it's the play by play guy Dave Mishkin people find "Interesting" for the radio broadcasts.

But as Hoek said Color is done by the Legend Phil Esposito.

The play by play guy was pure homer and that's a good thing on a regional broadcast. The colour commentator reminded me of a cross between Maester Pycelle and Grandpa Simpson. There's a lot of wisdom in there but it comes out in some odd ways.

m.

dechire

Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
I've definitely sided against the Lightning in cases before. I was shocked when Kronwall got a game last year. (That's not to say I wasn't happy about it.) I thought Gudas was going to get games for the Upshall hit too. I was wrong. And there was a Kucherov hit last year (?) that definitely had me nervous.

I really wasn't even nervous about this one. Looked pretty clear cut. Unfortunate incident, but not predatory in the least.

Lol yeah that Kronwall hit. I mean nobody here was crying but even now I'm not sure why that got suspended instead of any of the dozen other borderline things from that 1st round. And Nesterov's suspension earlier this year was the right call. I don't really remember anyone here trying to defend it because it was obviously bad.

In this case I felt really confident because the Gudas hit last week was quite similar and received nothing and I'd brushed up on the rules again after it. So I wasn't worried about a suspension but that doesn't mean that I think it was a smart hit or that Jets fans shouldn't be upset.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
unfortunately i watched this travesty of a game a second time ohhh the headache

anywho giving up on man rushes turnovers blind passes from behind net that dont get out etc..

its the laziness of guys that is still a problem callahan seems back big sign filpulla tries but is out of place a ton so could use someone on a line to help him also to be honest and fair

this one was really on the players and seeing the last games few of them odd rushes etc.. its just got to be tightened down we went full old mode back and forth with them and we paid a price and almost lost two points

we got to get back to the team and 10 game streak quickly hopefully they wake up now and start playing like they can

i am not too worried on all the road games we put together a run in playoffs on road when had to all of us saw the team in the 10 game thing and that team done daily can beat everyone they just got to buckle up buckle down and do their jobs no cheap passes was way to cute last night trying to play the middle not skating at all and getting it deep in third and retrieving pucks hopefully they get the message

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
unfortunately i watched this travesty of a game a second time ohhh the headache

anywho giving up on man rushes turnovers blind passes from behind net that dont get out etc..

its the laziness of guys that is still a problem callahan seems back big sign filpulla tries but is out of place a ton so could use someone on a line to help him also to be honest and fair

this one was really on the players and seeing the last games few of them odd rushes etc.. its just got to be tightened down we went full old mode back and forth with them and we paid a price and almost lost two points

we got to get back to the team and 10 game streak quickly hopefully they wake up now and start playing like they can

i am not too worried on all the road games we put together a run in playoffs on road when had to all of us saw the team in the 10 game thing and that team done daily can beat everyone they just got to buckle up buckle down and do their jobs no cheap passes was way to cute last night trying to play the middle not skating at all and getting it deep in third and retrieving pucks hopefully they get the message
it could have been worse I was in the stands watching it. Can not believe how lazy they got in the 3rd period!

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
The play by play guy was pure homer and that's a good thing on a regional broadcast. The colour commentator reminded me of a cross between Maester Pycelle and Grandpa Simpson. There's a lot of wisdom in there but it comes out in some odd ways.

m.

Espo definitely said something hilariously homer that I can't remember now. Was it a shot at Winnipeg or the referees?

Glide5

Apr 16, 2012
Tampa Bay
Unless he couldn't do the game, normally it's Phil Esposito doing color on the radio for home games. The Lightning are his baby (as close to literal as it can get since he helped secure the team and was its first GM) so if he was particularly biased on the call I hope that's understandable. But yeah he's quite a character and we love him. :)

Some gems from last night.

"Drouin could do damn well to learn from Marchessault"

"Just put your stick up near his face and let him run into it once. He won't come back."

"No, No, No! What the Hell was Stralman thinking throwing the puck out there! (mutters) Lazy, simple Lazy."

Phil is the best. He is why I love the radio broadcasts. Dave is also a hell of a playcaller to boot.

Kramerica Industries

Mar 21, 2013
Tampa, FL
Speaking of Stralman - late in the OT, Stralman, for g-d knows whatever the hell reason, had all day to clear the zone from the right corner, and never got around to it, giving Winnipeg more zone time and a chance to win? Because I have no clue what he was doing in that moment.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
Well Espo did say that the hit on Little was a "good clean hit". Is that what you're thinking of? :sarcasm:

m.

No, I actually hadn't tuned at that point, but Glide5 caught it. He was saying that one of the Bolts (I can't remember who) shouldn't start jawing with a guy coming after him (Ladd?), just smile, and "when he comes at you, put your stick right in his teeth." :laugh:

Obviously

Dec 4, 2013
Speaking of Stralman - late in the OT, Stralman, for g-d knows whatever the hell reason, had all day to clear the zone from the right corner, and never got around to it, giving Winnipeg more zone time and a chance to win? Because I have no clue what he was doing in that moment.

I specifically remember that. Very weird sequence, he just turned the puck over and watched from the corner boards

dechire

Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
I saw the Stralman thing too. I thought maybe the whistle had blown and I hadn't heard it but then everyone else kept playing so idk what he was doing

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011

I noticed that too and was going to ***** about it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad