GDT: 2/15/21 - 7:00PM EDT - Florida vs Tampa Bay

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Leafs are gonna steamroll that division overall though. And it will leave us with no idea if they're actually good or not.
I don't know, I think I have a pretty good idea right now. They had questions (again) leaving the playoffs last year and from a roster stand point, they did nothing to address that. And while we made a change to our game in September - December of 2019, I haven't seen them do that or been tested like that either. They'll be once again unprepared for what playoff hockey is.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Remember when coop would play Faberge bishop all season including the meaningless last couple of games before the playoffs and cost us at least one cup?
The images of Bishop clearly playing hurt in the finals and struggling to even to get back up from his knees still haunt me. I mean not at much as they did 6 months ago but still.

Reactions: DFC

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Bring Anders back
vault.jpg

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
I don't know, I think I have a pretty good idea right now. They had questions (again) leaving the playoffs last year and from a roster stand point, they did nothing to address that. And while we made a change to our game in September - December of 2019, I haven't seen them do that or been tested like that either. They'll be once again unprepared for what playoff hockey is.
Look at the division they're in though... None of them know what playoff hockey is. Leafs should easily make their way to round 3 if they ever want people to take them seriously.

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
Mcbackup sucked but the Panthers had several scoring chances and odd man rushes. Sloppy D.

Florida lit this team up. Definitely a wake up call as the Lightning play the upper half of the division. Let’s see what happens.

Reactions: Stammertime91

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Look at the division they're in though... None of them know what playoff hockey is. Leafs should easily make their way to round 3 if they ever want people to take them seriously.
I don't know if they'll make it that far. Until they actually win a series and prove us wrong, I won't believe it until I see it. Some teams will flip a switch when the playoffs come. Toronto has yet to find a way to do it.

Last edited:

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
Meh, wouldn't take much away from this other than the Panthers are a solid team this year and probably someone we play in the playoffs. Glad to see Volkov come alive. He's going to be a great player when Killorn or Johnson aren't here.

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
Also, credit to Joseph for learning each game and working on his flaws. He's showing he's more than just speed. Great addition this year.

Lastly, nice to see Johnson score again. May not be that game breaker he was years ago but I'm glad he's getting in there again.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Rutta doesn't deserve to be in the lineup every game, time to start rotating the D, Rutta, Schenn and Foote take their turns cause no one up front deserves to be pulled out right now.

UseYourHedman

Hold my beer for a sec
Mar 17, 2018
PNW
Picked the wrong night to give Vasi a break. I'm not sure he lets ANY of those goals through. Oh well. At least the young guys are getting some experience and confidence.

Reactions: NatoGhost

copperlion

Aug 6, 2019
Big brain move by Coop playing Rutta over Foote...guy is 8 years older than him and not noticeably better at anything

bov

Nov 13, 2010
Sucks to lose but love seeing Volkov get on the board with a couple, Johnson as well. I didn't see this one but sounds like it was Vasy's game off no matter what. Normally we find a way to squeeze a point or two out of games like that but not tonight I guess.

VinikToWinIt

Number 1 Bull****
Jun 15, 2014
South Florida
That's fine - someone needs to play other than Vasi.

Winning the Presidents trophy is not the goal.
The bigger concern I have with McElhinney playing poorly is that Cooper may make the mistake of overplaying Vasy as a result.

I don't care if we lose a few games with him in net, as long as we're playing him.

Reactions: ultra63

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
The bigger concern I have with McElhinney playing poorly is that Cooper may make the mistake of overplaying Vasy as a result.

I don't care if we lose a few games with him in net, as long as we're playing him.

I don't think you can play Vasi enough. As long as he's healthy and doesn't get peppered with shots on a nightly basis, I don't think he needs a lot of games off in a shortened season with fewer travelling. Certainly makes no sense to play your backup in any games crucial for the division lead. Against Carolina and Florida, maybe even Chicago and Dallas, Vasi should be the default starter if healthy. I don't get the thought process there, really. You can play your backup once the standings are set but to throw such an important game away just because you wanna play your backup is just stupid.

Also, that may leave Vasi with no game for well over a week should the two games in Dallas get postponed. One way or the other, that wasn't the game to rest Vasi.

BoltsOfAnarchy

May 12, 2018
Largo
Imagine falling in a coma before Covid and when you wake up you hear Dave Randorf saying "these teams won't meet again till March" on February 15th after they've played 3 games in a row against each other.

yeah... I’m sure that would be the weird part

I would think waking up to society of mandatory masks, 6ft distance rules, no fans in the stands for sporting events, Lightning winning Stanley cup, & Tom Brady leading the Bucs to a super bowl win at home might be a bigger surprise to someone just out of coma lol.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
yeah... I’m sure that would be the weird part

I would think waking up to society of mandatory masks, 6ft distance rules, no fans in the stands for sporting events, Lightning winning Stanley cup, & Tom Brady leading the Bucs to a super bowl win at home might be a bigger surprise to someone just out of coma lol.
I disagree. Randorf's commentary would 100% be the weirdest thing. Not even close.

Reactions: VinikToWinIt

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Honestly ok with these games. Not because of how they played but I feel like some adversity is good for a team that hasn't had all that much lately. Games like this gets your attention to fix some things. They will play better than this too. Not overly worried. Maybe we finally have a playoff series against the stinking panthers though. We have been waiting for that for a while now.

Reactions: Lightning1995

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad