GDT: 2/11/21 - 7:00PM EDT - Tampa Bay @ Florida

Stelio Kontos

Nov 6, 2011
So far Volkov is reminding me of Panik and Erne. Hopefully the light turns on for him but he’s really just not good at anything right now

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Well the problem is his scoring and much of his play making seems to have been lost somehow. He still works but yes the problem is he's compared to what he once was and his salary is way higher than his play warrants at this point.

An undersized scoring forward who now cant really score isn't a commodity. It sucks. I have his jersey. He was my favorite player at one point. Its unfortunate he has declined so much.

He never really got his hands back after the broken wrist. I think that's the ugly truth.

Reactions: NatoGhost

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
He never really got his hands back after the broken wrist. I think that's the ugly truth.

He still managed a couple 20+ goal seasons after that, I think it's less physical more mental. No creativity, can't get in the right spot, his timing over the ice is just off, can't do much to fix that, just need to get your head on straight.

Is he continues his pace, it will be the 5th consecutive year of declining production, I thought we'd caught a break by being able to keep him for another year but he's not exactly netting positive right now. If he has a career low then it'll cost even more to move him.

His ice time and roster spot could be used for development.

bov

Nov 13, 2010
Well the problem is his scoring and much of his play making seems to have been lost somehow. He still works but yes the problem is he's compared to what he once was and his salary is way higher than his play warrants at this point.

An undersized scoring forward who now cant really score isn't a commodity. It sucks. I have his jersey. He was my favorite player at one point. Its unfortunate he has declined so much.

I see what you're saying, don't really disagree with above. It's just the excessive negativity flooding every GDT when he misses a scoring chance or botches a pass. Shockingly, some of the same people disparaging Johnson the most now are ones who were vocal about how bad Palat sucked/should be scratched during his down seasons, a short-sighted notion with zero chance of ever happening because guess what, he doesn't f'ing suck.

I'll stop derailing after this post, I know Johnson is a different story. I can be as critical as anyone but the guy still competes, can win battles, faceoffs, be responsible defensively etc. plus has made an effort to be more versatile. The circumstances are not ideal but he can still freaking play. I'd love nothing more than for him to get a fresh start, but have zero problems with him in the lineup as of now.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
He still managed a couple 20+ goal seasons after that, I think it's less physical more mental. No creativity, can't get in the right spot, his timing over the ice is just off, can't do much to fix that, just need to get your head on straight.

Is he continues his pace, it will be the 5th consecutive year of declining production, I thought we'd caught a break by being able to keep him for another year but he's not exactly netting positive right now. If he has a career low then it'll cost even more to move him.

His ice time and roster spot could be used for development.
He can still shoot, I think. It's the "soft hands" that he's lost. He hasn't beaten a defender one on one in three or four years, unless he's blowing by, and he's lost a bit of speed too. I think he could still score 20+ in a good situation, like the year he played with Kucherov and Point, but the finesse side of his game is dead.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
I was holding out some hope but the fact he keeps losing the puck whenever it gets to him makes him a detriment even in the most favorable circumstances. I don't know what his deal is. The puck is a grenade to him now.

Peacefool

Nov 15, 2019
So far Volkov is reminding me of Panik and Erne. Hopefully the light turns on for him but he’s really just not good at anything right now
as someone here said, he seems to not feel the NHL speed,but i think and I hope that if he scores as soon as possible hes game will change and he will be better,he desperate need to score.
Just watched the game. I liked it. No, we sucked like half of it but game was fast and fun with moments and it was enjoyable to watch. And i liked that we suffered half of the game cuz all games before that was way to easy for us,we managed to do all we anted on ice,and this game showed that we cant afford to play chill,we need to fight for the puck along boards along all areas,thats why I think this loss is better for us than win,cuz we can learn something and become even better team in the future)

Reactions: UseYourHedman

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
We looked good in the 3rd, but man Florida killed us in the first and really set the tone. Obviously missing Stamkos (and Kucherov) hurts but they wrecked us at times.

Point and Hedman tried to carry us the best they could

Also, TJ is beyond useless

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad