Game Analysis: #2 - 10/7/13 | New York Rangers @ Los Angeles Kings | Analysis

Maineice11

Dec 7, 2006
Maine
powerplay wasn't great, I credit that more to the king's very aggressive pk. I think the coaching staff will talk about the pp during the intermission and make a couple tweaks and if the Rangers get another pp in the third itll look better.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Colossal **** up from McD, G, and Pyatt on the Kings goal. Aside from that one shift though, all three of those guys are playing a great game.

Are the refs even watching this game? Honestly, horrible both ways. I like that they're letting the boys play for the most part, but some of the things they're not calling, again BOTH ways... wow :shakehead

Brian Boyle - power play black hole.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Keep it goin, let's see a complete game here for the first time in a long time. The Brassard line has to start burying their chances, this game could have been put to bed already.

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
It's all about keeping up the intensity, being aggressive on the forecheck, pressuring the puck carrier and not letting adversity destroy your momentum. We're executing all of that, and the result is big opportunities off of turnovers and an overall game style that fosters momentum and keeps everyone flying because they build off of each other's energy. Great second period.

Our PP is still an eyesore.

GFiP*

Dead thread is dead. LA goes into the 3rd with all the momentum. Flower play is still flowery.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Good to see that the hard work mentality of the team hasn't disappeared. Great period, except for a couple of gaffes here and there (I don't think Joe or Sam should be allowed to comment on the defense of the team anymore).

The powerplay still looks bad. Yes, the Kings are doing a great job PKing, but if a team is being aggressive with you, you need to move the puck quickly.

Pouliot, Zuccarello and Brassard better break through soon, or we're going to have to start calling them snake bitten.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
very pleased with that period, I like that they were driving the Kings mad the entire period with their hard work. Love the fight and bite in their game.

trilobyte

Regulated User
Dec 9, 2008
Calgary, Alberta
I think the powerplay deserves some patience.
The reason I say that is because I don't see the love for endless cycling on the boards any longer. That alone is a huge treat for the eyes.

SixGoalieSystem

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2011
Trondheim
Tonight, in comparison to the first game, we will try something a little bit different.

The GDT will be open during the game and between periods. After the third period horn sounds, it will be closed and replaced with the PGT. The analysis thread will be closed during the game but open between periods and after the game. We'll see how this goes and decide whether it's worth continuing.

Maybe you should tell all the mods :laugh:

Liked that period. Too bad about the series of brain farts on the goal,but of they keep this up they'll be fine. 2nd line looked much better that period, able to sustain some pressure.

Hopefully Cally can come back for the third.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
powerplay wasn't great, I credit that more to the king's very aggressive pk. I think the coaching staff will talk about the pp during the intermission and make a couple tweaks and if the Rangers get another pp in the third itll look better.

Very good point. I understand AV's logic with using Boyle on the PP, which is net presence... Unfortunately, although strong, he is not a stable skater, and that is definitely dragging the PP down.

Pyatt actually playing REALLY well... I did NOT expect such plays from him... I also understand AV's logic with him, as he is realistically the only player he knows his style of play, and therefore he's directly more insertable on every shift/line

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
also, consider this, has Hank really had to make many big saves? Not really, maybe 1 or 2. Quick on the other hand is being very much tested. I credit that to Girardi, aside from that first goal he's had a great game. McDonagh............eh. What's with him.... he looks out of sorts.

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
Great first half of the second period, but we waned towards the end.

First line still struggles to establish possession, but they are lethal on the turnovers which is good.

Second line struggles with finish, but creates chances. Still not as good possession-wise as I thought they would be. Maybe it isn't as golden of a combo as we thought.

Pyatt and Boyle with another strong game.

Fourth line struggles again, but it is not as bad as it was versus Phoenix.

Girardi was replaced by Strålman on that last PP. Temporary, or has AV figured something out?

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
The reason I say that is because I don't see the love for endless cycling on the boards any longer. That alone is a huge treat for the eyes.

Both deserves some patience and needs some patience. Players releasing into the setup too early when they haven't made sure the team is controlling the puck. For example, Boyle and (I think) Brassard moving to the front of the net and the high slot, respectively, when the pointman needed to chip it back into the corner. Right idea, wrong timing. I think it'll get there, but they aren't on the same page yet.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012

Del Zotto needs to stop shooting into peoples shin guards.

Holocene

Mar 10, 2011
Toms River, NJ
Stepan seems to have shaken the rust off.

I understand Boyle is our best face off guy but he does not belong on the PP he just kills the offensive flow.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Hoping Callahan comes back. Rangers have blown a lot of chances--some of it is Quick but they've been right in on him a number of times. Kings are really sloppy tonight in their own end. Rangers have turned over a lot of pucks in their zone and in the neutral zone when they try to break out. Richards again is playing very well. Actually everyone has played pretty well.

On the Stralman penalty--right after a bad icing call by the linesman--didn't like that. Good fight by Asham.

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
We do need to keep ourselves from letting the intensity drop and surrendering our own turnovers after the midway point in the period. First and second period, we did lull about 10 minutes in. Not badly, but gotta keep it going all the way through.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
This has been a great game. We very rarely looked like this under Torts. Even looked better defensively than usually under Torts.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Hoping Callahan comes back. Rangers have blown a lot of chances--some of it is Quick but they've been right in on him a number of times. Kings are really sloppy tonight in their own end. Rangers have turned over a lot of pucks in their zone and in the neutral zone when they try to break out. Richards again is playing very well. Actually everyone has played pretty well.

On the Stralman penalty--right after a bad icing call by the linesman--didn't like that. Good fight by Asham.

Something that needs to be mentioned about hybrid icing. Tie goes to the defenseman. In that light, I didn't see them make a bad icing call.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
Question for the mods:

Will we be able to have a say about whether or not we like this format? Perhaps we have a vote?

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
Del Zotto needs to stop shooting into peoples shin guards.

Please, Del Zotto is a talented player, but that is probably NEVER going to stop. If you look up a Del Zotto scouting report it probably says something like "Good skater with a strong offensive skill set whose not afraid to engage physically. Best in his draft class at hitting defender's shins with his shot".

vladmyir111

Mar 27, 2007
Why close the game thread at all? Maybe some people don't watch the games with the laptop in hand and just come in between periods to ask if there's any news on Cally, since they haven't mentioned it at all on the LA feed (it wasn't even a high stick based on their view).

trilobyte

Regulated User
Dec 9, 2008
Calgary, Alberta
Both deserves some patience and needs some patience. Players releasing into the setup too early when they haven't made sure the team is controlling the puck. For example, Boyle and (I think) Brassard moving to the front of the net and the high slot, respectively, when the pointman needed to chip it back into the corner. Right idea, wrong timing. I think it'll get there, but they aren't on the same page yet.

Yeah, I know what you mean. The encouraging thing is that the idea of being aggressive and getting into that magical slot area is there, but they just aren't clicking on it. It can be discouraging seeing all the 'almost' plays.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Why close the game thread at all? Maybe some people don't watch the games with the laptop in hand and just come in between periods to ask if there's any news on Cally, since they haven't mentioned it at all on the LA feed (it wasn't even a high stick based on their view).

You can ask that here too.

Answer (unless they said something on the intermission report) is that he's having dental work done and is going to try to come back, but might not be able to.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad