Game Analysis: #2 - 10/7/13 | New York Rangers @ Los Angeles Kings | Analysis

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Tonight, in comparison to the first game, we will try something a little bit different.

The GDT will be open during the game and between periods. After the third period horn sounds, it will be closed and replaced with the PGT. The analysis thread will be closed during the game but open between periods and after the game. We'll see how this goes and decide whether it's worth continuing.

Please note that this is not an open invitation to act like an idiot in the GDT/PGT.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
We look way better tonight in this game than against Phoenix.

I still think we're too scrambly in our own zone, but time and the continuous learning of AV's system will certainly help.

Hopefully Pyatt can come back out for the second as to not fatigue our guys for this game, and tomorrow night, too.

Richie looks great. Callahan looks good too considering.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Well that was a pretty good period. Main thing I'm noticing is that, for the first time this year, the defensemen look comfortable in their own zone. Not perfect, but comfortable. We're still getting lots of possession, but I'd like to see some more in the offensive zone and some more chances on goal. Overall though, they're playing pretty well.

Placid

Feb 17, 2010
Well, that was an intense first period :)

Very energetic period by the whole team, hopefully they can keep it up.

Loff

Lafdaddy
Dec 7, 2007
Soft euro
Terrific period. Nice to see some consistent physical play. Keep throwing pucks at Quick. wutwut

SixGoalieSystem

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2011
Trondheim
Can't complain after that period. The transition game is just completely changed from last year.

2nd line the only weak spot thus far. Being outmatched out there.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
the Moore-Boyle-Callahan line stood out to me, wow it's great to have Cally back. Very good road period in a very difficult building to play in. Keep it up boys.

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
the Moore-Boyle-Callahan line stood out to me, wow it's great to have Cally back. Very good road period in a very difficult building to play in. Keep it up boys.

I liked that trio too. I also thought Stepan looked way sharper and more aware. Nice to see the intensity from the guys. It lulled about 10 minutes in, but the goal gave us a pick up. Need to come out in the second with more of the same.

Kokoschka

May 13, 2012
Can't complain after that period. The transition game is just completely changed from last year.

2nd line the only weak spot thus far. Being outmatched out there.

That's why I'd move Callahan to the 2nd line. Make it more stable defensively. Move Zucc to the Boyle line to spread the creativity.

Also, kinda unnoticed, but after reviewing some of the scenes of period 1, Nash really did a good job defensively. Got the puck out under pressure, back-checked hard, defended the blue line late in the period. Good job.

NYRSchrute217

Oct 28, 2008
Team looks good. Its gonna take a while to perfect the system but they look good and have had long extended shifts in the offensive zone. Keep it up.

16 To Stanley*

Pyatt had two good shifts in a row. The first two shifts for the Pyatt-Boyle-Cally line was great.

Good period. Still sloppy in our own zone. Henrik looks shaky.

Richards looks like a new player. Hope he can keep it up

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
That's why I'd move Callahan to the 2nd line. Make it more stable defensively. Move Zucc to the Boyle line to spread the creativity.

Also, kinda unnoticed, but after reviewing some of the scenes of period 1, Nash really did a good job defensively. Got the puck out under pressure, back-checked hard, defended the blue line late in the period. Good job.

It's not a bad idea. You always knew that Callahan playing a "limited role" would only last so long. That never works with a guy like him. Might as well slot him where he's going to end up anyway.

SixGoalieSystem

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2011
Trondheim
Aside from Moore doubling up, I didn't notice it any other time. Makes sense I guess.

Boyle-Brass-Callahan had a shift together too, and I also think I saw Stepan have a shift with the fourth line.

Could be AV wanted to do something about that 2nd line, though. Zucc struggling along the boards.

trilobyte

Regulated User
Dec 9, 2008
Calgary, Alberta
Duguay pointing out that checking, and finishing your check is not just a cliche, but something that helps any team (some may think that is a no brainer, but it did not happen last game whatsoever). Callahan did that right away. That's the kind of on-ice statement a captain makes.

16 To Stanley*

He looks fine. That Brown shot was an absolute ****ing laser beam.

He had a couple of rebounds he should have controlled.

I'm the biggest Henrik defender, but he hasn't looked fantastic.

Thought he was better in the 2nd, though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad