Game Analysis: #2 - 10/7/13 | New York Rangers @ Los Angeles Kings | Analysis

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
LA iced the puck in the first period with their big line on the ice. AV left his defensive players on the ice for the offensive zone draw. Then LA made the change and so did the Rangers. No zone matching there. LA didn't look good against the Wild and Jets. They looked better in preseason.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
good road win against a quality opponent. la is just a better team than we are up and down the lineup. (right now anyway)

dont underestimate that win. few days off to bond and talk hockey makes a difference with a bunch of new guys. no where better to do that than socal.

2 things.

compete level was way up. they took it to la and they had jump. first 5 minutes they took the body and finished checks. sets tone. they came out prepared.

secondly, and this is a biggie. richey played well and i still say that hes a very, very important part of this team. if this guy gets his confidence and his energy level back, hes going top make a huge difference. hes a true 1c- even tho he was playing some wing, and we need him to drive this team both 5on5 and on the pp. step is good but hes not that guy yet.

if beev can keep his play at a high level, this team can compete.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
good road win against a quality opponent. la is just a better team than we are up and down the lineup. (right now anyway)

dont underestimate that win. few days off to bond and talk hockey makes a difference with a bunch of new guys. no where better to do that than socal.

2 things.

compete level was way up. they took it to la and they had jump. first 5 minutes they took the body and finished checks. sets tone. they came out prepared.

secondly, and this is a biggie. richey played well and i still say that hes a very, very important part of this team. if this guy gets his confidence and his energy level back, hes going top make a huge difference. hes a true 1c- even tho he was playing some wing, and we need him to drive this team both 5on5 and on the pp. step is good but hes not that guy yet.

if beev can keep his play at a high level, this team can compete.

If Richards can get back to 60-70 point form this team will be in good shape.

Idlerlee

Apr 19, 2013
Honestly think this is one of better Rangers games I've seen in a long time. Whats uplifting is that the team is able to play well even when we have to start Tortsing the lines around since our players like to involve their faces more than normal.

1st line was awesome, and I'm not exactly sure how Richie managed to poke that 1-0 in, but well done. 2nd goal was a bit lucky, but deserved nonetheless.. and third goal is going to be a youtube favorite for a long time :p

Still waiting for the chemistry line to produce, but its been a very close call two games now, so hoping for production in the third. Brass seem to have chilled down a bit from his PO performance.. while Zucc has taken leaps and bounds.. Manages not to be neutralized vs a team of Boyle sized players is simply great.

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
But if you watched the game you saw McD and Girardi thwarting Kopitar's line all night. Much of that took place in the neutral zone and at the offensive points. To say they played below expectations (i.e., poorly) is ridiculous and pokes a huge hole in the way you determine success on the ice. Outside of the giveway that Girardi and Pyatt combined to commit which led to the Kings' goal in a 4 on 4 situation that pair was stellar. The stats don't tell that story therefore they are not of much use.

And I agree with the other poster who said D. Moore was good. Dorsett was also very good last night creating havoc all over the ice. Please just watch the games and form an opinion from that instead of inundating us with advanced stats. For fans all advanced stats do is give you an objective argument on a board built for subjectivity. That is the fun of this after all.

And it appears that the objectivity you are looking to interject is not broad enough to jive with the reality of the contest. Can't we just disagree on the games based on our biases without "stats" getting in the way?

I watched the game, what are you on about?

I saw them getting themselves into trouble by not moving the puck out fast enough and letting the LA forecheck pin them in the zone. They managed to contain the opposition but did this mostly in their own zone which carries risk. Not only can we not score during that time, a stray wrister can take a funny bounce and go into the net. That's (partly) what happened versus Vancouver in the pre-season.

I'm not content with that type of defence, especially since I know we have the capacity to play another way. If it was the only option like in 10-11 it would be another matter, but we actually have a talented team for once - let's play like it.

Abooch68

Aug 31, 2008
Great game by the team, but in all honesty, making assumptions based on 1 good game and 1 bad game is moot.

Bardof425*

I saw them getting themselves into trouble by not moving the puck out fast enough and letting the LA forecheck pin them in the zone. They managed to contain the opposition but did this mostly in their own zone which carries risk. Not only can we not score during that time, a stray wrister can take a funny bounce and go into the net. That's (partly) what happened versus Vancouver in the pre-season.

I'm not content with that type of defence, especially since I know we have the capacity to play another way. If it was the only option like in 10-11 it would be another matter, but we actually have a talented team for once - let's play like it.

they played against LA's best all night and gave them very little. If you think that you are going to face one of the best lines in the league and you are not going to spend some time in your zone you are out to lunch. the number of rushes McD stopped in the neutral zone of just inside the blue line is in double digits. They played great and you are cherry picking probably in some attempt to justify a promotion for Stralman.

Clown Fiesta

Aug 15, 2005
Montana
Great game by the team, but in all honesty, making assumptions based on 1 good game and 1 bad game is moot.

Indeed, tonight's game will be more telling. If we come out and perform like last night I'll let myself get excited, if we lay an egg like in Phoenix I'll be a little concerned.

The thing is that Phoenix game isn't indicative of how this team has played for the majority of the last two or three seasons. AV is a more relaxed coach, but I'm certain he wasn't ok with them dogging it like they did. I saw people saying that the "country club" was back, its not even remotely close to the same situation. That's why I didn't get too worried.

Last edited:

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004

Just me thinking off the top of my head but I felt like Girardi and McDonagh got better as the game went along at moving the puck in their own zone. Other times, it wasn't really their fault they got hemmed in, sometimes it just happens and you don't have time to move the puck, especially if you're going up against a top line that's great at forechecking. I'd rather they eat some zone time than try to make plays that aren't there and turn the puck over, which is what LA's defense was doing ALL night long.

gary laser eyes

Apr 6, 2007
Over a short season in which he was benched in the playoffs for poor play. I am talking about playing like he did in his first season in NY.

I totally agree, which is why I personally will not base my judgement on Richards play solely on point production, which is what your first post insinuated.

Drewbackatu*

they played against LA's best all night and gave them very little. If you think that you are going to face one of the best lines in the league and you are not going to spend some time in your zone you are out to lunch. the number of rushes McD stopped in the neutral zone of just inside the blue line is in double digits. They played great and you are cherry picking probably in some attempt to justify a promotion for Stralman.

Definitely played well and competed hard all game.

OverTheCap

Jan 3, 2009
For Richards, it's not so much about point production, because he is capable of putting up points while playing like ****.

Last year, he was indecisive, out of shape, turnover-prone, careless with the puck, and just looked off in general. Through 2 games, I am noticing an improvement - he is more engaged and confident and isn't making as many mind-boggling horrible passes as he was a year ago.

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm

Of course you are going to spend some time in your end, but I'd like to do that as little as possible. I'm not content with playing prevention defence.

And I love McDonagh, best defenceman on the team IMO. The issue is with the pairing itself as Girardi's lack of ability with the puck drags them down. I want to break them up, not keep them together but play them less.

And stop accusing me of cherry-picking. Cherry-picking is a dishonest way to debate where you knowingly bury evidence to strengthen your point and I go a long way out of my way not to do it, so I consider it a pretty big insult. I'm not burying any evidence. I have an opinion, I'm very open about how I formed it and what evidence I'm basing it on.

Just me thinking off the top of my head but I felt like Girardi and McDonagh got better as the game went along at moving the puck in their own zone. Other times, it wasn't really their fault they got hemmed in, sometimes it just happens and you don't have time to move the puck, especially if you're going up against a top line that's great at forechecking. I'd rather they eat some zone time than try to make plays that aren't there and turn the puck over, which is what LA's defense was doing ALL night long.

I agree, but that is exactly why I don't want Girardi out there for half the game. It is a lot easier to pressure Girardi into a situation where he has to either play it safe or force it than the other Rangers defencemen.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I agree, but that is exactly why I don't want Girardi out there for half the game. It is a lot easier to pressure Girardi into a situation where he has to either play it safe or force it than the other Rangers defencemen.

Honestly I agree with this...I'm not 100% sure I want to see Stralman getting 25 minutes a game in his place, but maybe roll the defensive lines a bit more and give Girardi a little softer minutes. I don't think it's going to happen though (well, the rolling defensive lines might, probably not Girardi getting softer minutes)

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
So the 1-2-2 is working for you guys? Glad it is...it was horrendous in the west. For the love of your team I hope the East doesn't figure it out because that's what happened in Vancouver which was the demise of AV. Wanna cheer for you guys, but every time I see it...it's just makes me wanna throw something at the TV.

Yeah, it's a good thing the Eastern team we just played couldn't figure it out. We play so many Eastern teams to start the season. :shakehead

Paulie Walnutz

Make HF Great Again
Oct 1, 2008
This was one of the best 60 minute efforts I've seen from this team in a while. The forecheck was present, the intensity was there. I did get a little nervous when it was 2-1 before that McDonagh fluke goal, we had so many quality chances and couldn't convert, I thought that was going to come back to haunt us but nonetheless so what the last 2 goals were lucky, sometimes it's better to be lucky than good. We deserved the 2 points, any point tonight and it's icing on the cake imo

IAMREALITY

Jul 12, 2010
I'm still so juiced up after that win, and from reading these threads. So glad the board felt as positive about last night's game as I did! One of the best 60 minutes I've seen in a long time.

We finally played last night like a team that can win the cup. THAT is how competitive you need to be, how aggressive you need to be as a TEAM, in order to take the grandest prize. Granted, it was one game, but it was against a great team and all players contributed. If we can manage to continue playing with that mentality and fierceness, and then you even add Hags back into the mix, then this could turn out to be the best season and best team we've had since 94; and I mean that.

As far as some specific kudos go, I cannot possibly minimize the impact Richards had last night, and the game he played. It was downright inspiring and I hope with every ounce of hope in me that he can continue to be that Brad. Because that Brad is a gamechanger. I hadn't been, but I now find myself rooting my ass off for him to prove all the naysayers (even closet ones like myself) wrong.

Zuc is just awesome to watch isn't he? So glad he's on our team and can play with freedom. This will be the season he learns the art of finishing. Just wait and see. Give him 2 months.

Nash was also a beast tonight. Let's hope he remembers how good it feels to be that Nash and keeps it up.

And I'm absolutely in love with our transition game. I used to say for years, why can't we have a transition game like that? Why can't we be fast like that? It would always be the other team. But last night it was us, and it was fun as hell to watch. Our transition out of our zone, our quick passing, our pressure on the puck, our refusing to sit on a lead. Actually, that last one deserves another mention: Refusing to sit on a lead. Holy hell how good that felt to finally see us continue to compete after getting a lead!

All I know is I absolutely CAN'T WAIT for tonight's game. And if we lose, we lose. But if we win, if we win in the way we won last night, then that'll be one hell of a good sign for what's to come this season. I just hope we don't play the sort of stinker that makes the previous night's success evaporate. I love feeling this good about them, even if only because of one game. I want this feeling to keep on going. It's been a while...

Enjoy, my friends. And LET'S GO RANGERS!!!

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Agreed. Liked what I saw last night. He was forechecking hard, and got screwed by the hybrid icing rule a couple times.

That Pouliot-Brassard-Zuccarello combo is fun to watch, very creative. But can they produce?

I think they'll figure it out; I could see a career year out of Pouliot if that line is permanent, which would still only be in the 20 goal range, but that's fine; Brassard is a playmaker, but he knows how to score; Zucc...Zucc needs to practice his finishing. Yeah, there's a lot of cleverness on this 2nd line, I think the goals will come.

Also consider that so far they've been up against Mike Smith and Jonathan Quick. I think that line will rack up points against teams like the Flyers.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Yeah, it's a good thing the Eastern team we just played couldn't figure it out. We play so many Eastern teams to start the season. :shakehead

Plus they don't even seem to be playing a 1-2-2 right now. More like a

__1
_1

___1
__2

which flips depending on where the puck is.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
I think they'll figure it out; I could see a career year out of Pouliot if that line is permanent, which would still only be in the 20 goal range, but that's fine; Brassard is a playmaker, but he knows how to score; Zucc...Zucc needs to practice his finishing. Yeah, there's a lot of cleverness on this 2nd line, I think the goals will come.

Also consider that so far they've been up against Mike Smith and Jonathan Quick. I think that line will rack up points against teams like the Flyers.

I think we're all getting an idea why Pouliot can't seem to find a home. He teases with his talent.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad