GDT: #2 - 01/20/2013 | Pittsburgh Penguins @ New York Rangers | 7:00 PM - MSG, NHL NET

Status
Not open for further replies.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Still trying to figure out if the ref today in the Flyers game called a penalty for Cross-checking or Crosby-checking. Was difficult to make out but my understanding was the latter is typically 5 minutes. :laugh:;)

It may sound like exaggeration but that was one of the most absurd penalties I've ever seen called. Of course NBC didn't show a full replay. I had to rewind my DVR a few times and was left with nothing but a :facepalm:

Kershaw

Take a picture everyone, me and Torts agreed on something. It's like the Rangers scoring a PP goal :laugh:

I'm not sure if he played C at any level, but moving him there gives us a great 2-way centerman, which is what I personally prefer from my 2nd line center to compliment the skilled, offense-first first line center. It also opens up a lot of options with Stepan whether you move him to wing where he may be better suited, let him center the 3rd line to bring in production in the bottom 6 with Kreider, or use him as trade bait for a star winger.

iamitter

Thornton's Hen
May 19, 2011
NYC
I'm not sure if he played C at any level, but moving him there gives us a great 2-way centerman, which is what I personally prefer from my 2nd line center to compliment the skilled, offense-first first line center. It also opens up a lot of options with Stepan whether you move him to wing where he may be better suited, let him center the 3rd line to bring in production in the bottom 6 with Kreider, or use him as trade bait for a star winger.

Don't we have enough star wingers? If Callahan wouldn't pan out at C, we're left with Boyle and Halpern as 2C and 3C.

Regardless, Stepan could only play RW effectively. He's a pass first guy and with his handedness, it'd be absolutely stupid to use him as a LW. Who would he possibly pass to? And then we have the same problem as before.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC

I think it could potentially help us on faceoffs. I know it's not the greatest sample size but he seems to win every faceoff his center is thrown out for. At this point it couldn't hurt.

And like you said it would give us more options.

Great defensively, can take faceoffs, and I think being in the middle will give him more passing options than just throwing it across the ice from the boards.

Don't we have enough star wingers? If Callahan wouldn't pan out at C, we're left with Boyle and Halpern as 2C and 3C.

Regardless, Stepan could only play RW effectively. He's a pass first guy and with his handedness, it'd be absolutely stupid to use him as a LW. Who would he possibly pass to? And then we have the same problem as before.

We would have to try it for a year before trading anyone.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Great the medicine that we need after a humiliating defeat, the ****ing Pittsburgh Penguins. What a nightmare I'm feeling nostalgic for the days of the lockout. At least then we could pretend like this was a good team.

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
Great the medicine that we need after a humiliating defeat, the ****ing Pittsburgh Penguins. What a nightmare I'm feeling nostalgic for the days of the lockout. At least then we could pretend like this was a good team.

They should hire you as the teams deflater.

Kershaw

Yeah, you're probably right. Wing is probably not the way to go. Our first priority should be addressing our defense, mostly a RH PMD. This is where you move Stepan.

Yeah, I don't think Stepan would be good on LW, but I do like the idea of him trying it out on RW.

Hagelin-Richards-Nash
Pyatt-Callahan-Gaborik
Kreider-Stepan-Boyle
Rupp-Halpern-Asham

I would prefer

Hagelin-Richards-Nash
Gaborik-Callahan-Stepan
Kreider-Boyle-Pyatt

NYRSchrute217

Oct 28, 2008

This is a great team. They started 0-3 last year, and then 3-6. Stop freaking out. So what if we start 0-2?

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
This is a great team. They started 0-3 last year, and then 3-6. Stop freaking out. So what if we start 0-2?

Point taken, and you're right, but 3-6 ain't gonna cut it in a 48 game season.

184264_Ain-t-Nobody-Got-Time-Fo-Dat-sweet-(...).jpg

NYRSchrute217

Oct 28, 2008
They started 0-1-2 and 3-3-3. Big difference. What did they show you today that said they were a great team?

A loss is a loss. I'm well aware they were 0-1-2 and 3-3-3. Point is, last year they played very lethargically in Europe, played a terrible game through 2 that Lundqvist stole in Vancouver, struggled in Calgary and Winnipeg, and blew a 4-1 third period lead to lose in OT against Ottawa. They rebounded by winning 7 in a row.

They had a bad game today. Point is, a lot of our players haven't been playing this year, meanwhile a ton of Boston's key players including Seguin, Bergeron, Chara and Rask have been playing all season. The Bruins looked like they were in midseason form and the Rangers have to learn to integrate new players into the lineup. We might start out 4-6 or 3-7. But that's okay. They'll make the playoffs and be primed for a deep run. Relax. It's just one game.

NYRSchrute217

Oct 28, 2008
Point taken, and you're right, but 3-6 ain't gonna cut it in a 48 game season.

184264_Ain-t-Nobody-Got-Time-Fo-Dat-sweet-(...).jpg

Agreed, but it's 0-1 and not 3-6. So everyone needs to calm down. If we won tonight everyone would have been making plans for the parade.

Sometimes I feel like I'm wasting my time calming you guys down :laugh:

Kershaw

Agreed, but it's 0-1 and not 3-6. So everyone needs to calm down. If we won tonight everyone would have been making plans for the parade.

Sometimes I feel like I'm wasting my time calming you guys down
:laugh:
Trust me, you are.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC

Sometimes I feel like I'm wasting my time calming you guys down :laugh:

I'll be calm when we score more than a goal in one game. Very calm. A couple PP tallies would make me downright serene.

NYRSchrute217

Oct 28, 2008
I'll be calm when we score more than a goal in one game. Very calm. A couple PP tallies would make me downright serene.

I'm very confident the Rangers will be able to put more than one past Vokoun. That 5 on 3 was disgusting tonight, though. Gaborik and Nash should be shooting, that's for sure.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
A loss is a loss. I'm well aware they were 0-1-2 and 3-3-3. Point is, last year they played very lethargically in Europe, played a terrible game through 2 that Lundqvist stole in Vancouver, struggled in Calgary and Winnipeg, and blew a 4-1 third period lead to lose in OT against Ottawa. They rebounded by winning 7 in a row.

They had a bad game today. Point is, a lot of our players haven't been playing this year, meanwhile a ton of Boston's key players including Seguin, Bergeron, Chara and Rask have been playing all season. The Bruins looked like they were in midseason form and the Rangers have to learn to integrate new players into the lineup. We might start out 4-6 or 3-7. But that's okay. They'll make the playoffs and be primed for a deep run. Relax. It's just one game.

Last year's team overachieved. There's no proof this team isn't just playing up to their true abilities.

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
I am going to perform dark magic tonight to bless the New York Rangers. Bob Richards and I are wizards.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I'm very confident the Rangers will be able to put more than one past Vokoun. That 5 on 3 was disgusting tonight, though. Gaborik and Nash should be shooting, that's for sure.

The PP seems to me to be coached to give the puck to Richards and watch him, especially 5 on 3. Nash wasn't involved at all.

NYRSchrute217

Oct 28, 2008
Last year's team overachieved. There's no proof this team isn't just playing up to their true abilities.
It's one game, I think you'll see them play just a tad better when the new guys learn the style Tortorella expects.

This team has the perfect balance of scoring on two lines, a good amount of grit and toughness, a defense that can shut down the opposition and the best goalie in the league. Do you really expect them to win every game?

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
The PP seems to me to be coached to give the puck to Richards and watch him, especially 5 on 3. Nash wasn't involved at all.

I give you 1 word, the answer to our power play.

John tortorella, hear me, you shall.

MOVEMENT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad