1st round winners and losers

Nov 24, 2006
These threads are always fun to look back on.

Nail Yakupov

“OMG, generational draft for Oilers AINEC. They are the clear winner here”

HF thread:

“Is Yakupov the worst 1st overall pick in history?”

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
How is Ottawa a loser at the draft? Drafted Tkachuk then moved down while gaining a 2nd to get a guy they really wanted
Because in the eyes of most HF users, if you made a pick that wasn't consistent with most rankings then you're a loser.

I don't mind looking at what teams did well, but there are no losers today. It's a ridiculous thread.

Reactions: topshelf15

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Basically everyone who picked a faller is a winner, it is the same every year

Some team will pick a faller today who was supposed to go in the first round and they'll be celebrated like a bunch of geniuses. 5 years from now the faller will be playing in the ECHL.

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
Besides DET and NYI—I think Vancouver is in the winner category due to the Quinn Hughes pick. They were incredibly fortunate to have their best-fit-for-need player drop to their organization.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
I think the trade down was shrewd.

But honestly I thought they were the loser when they decided to keep the pick.

Agreed. I will never understand this move, if they were picking top three sure I get it, but next season even if they lose the lottery they will almost certainly be picking top three and maybe first. Head scratcher for sure.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
When Ottawa took Marian Hossa after the Canadiens took Jason Ward, we didn't need to wait for the first game to know that Ottawa was the winner there.
Meh we took a big kid that never fell out of the top 5 ,our scouts who actually are pretty good liked him at 4 ..Yet u label us as a loser here why??

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK
Some team will pick a faller today who was supposed to go in the first round and they'll be celebrated like a bunch of geniuses. 5 years from now the faller will be playing in the ECHL.
I feel a lot less of this since not following TSN's draft coverage. McKenzie's list is always interesting but then the draft day coverage would use it to create false drama. Oh no so in so has dropped 10 spots this is a tragedy... gets picked.. so in so is a genius taking him. STEAL!

Sportsnet coverage has been great, minus repeatedly calling that one kid a deviant this year. Less reality TV manipulating brain.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Agreed. I will never understand this move, if they were picking top three sure I get it, but next season even if they lose the lottery they will almost certainly be picking top three and maybe first. Head scratcher for sure.
Are you certain and absolutely sure we are destined to pick top 5 again???Because if are please tell me next weeks lottery numbers

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Are you certain and absolutely sure we are destined to pick top 5 again???Because if are please tell me next weeks lottery numbers

Aren't you? Anyway sometimes you just have to gamble and I'm sorry the chance at Hughes is worth not getting Tkachuk and just keeping #22.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Aren't you? Anyway sometimes you just have to gamble and I'm sorry the chance at Hughes is worth not getting Tkachuk and just keeping #22.
Talking in absolutes I see....You and I both know anything can happen next season...Ottawa making the playoffs isnt out of the of the question,we still have some talent on the team and more in the pipe...

So why on earth would we trade away a top 5 this year based what may or may not happen??

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Talking in absolutes I see....You and I both know anything can happen next season...Ottawa making the playoffs isnt out of the of the question,we still have some talent on the team and more in the pipe...

So why on earth would we trade away a top 5 this year based what may or may not happen??

Well if you are happy that is good. When the Avs are taking Hughes next June I hope you feel the same way. ;)

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
• SANDIN LED OHL ROOKIE DEFENSEMEN IN GOALS, ASSISTS AND POINTS WITH 12-33—45 IN 2017-18 (51 GP) TO HELP THE GREYHOUNDS SET SINGLE-SEASON FRANCHISE RECORDS FOR WINS AND POINTS EN ROUTE TO CAPTURING THE OHL’S BEST REGULAR-SEASON RECORD. HE LED ALL OHL ROOKIES IN ASSISTS AND POINTS WITH 1-12—13 IN 24 POSTSEASON CONTESTS BEFORE SAULT STE. MARIE WAS ELIMINATED IN THE OHL FINAL BY THE HAMILTON BULLDOGS IN SIX GAMES.

• HE APPEARED IN FIVE GAMES WITH ROGLE OF THE SWEDISH HOCKEY LEAGUE IN 2017-18 PRIOR TO JOINING THE GREYHOUNDS. HIS BROTHER, LINUS SANDIN, IS A FORWARD WITH ROGLE.

• INTERNATIONALLY, HE CAPTAINED SWEDEN TO A GOLD MEDAL AT THE 2016 WORLD UNDER-17 HOCKEY CHALLENGE (0-2—2 IN 6 GP) AND TO A BRONZE MEDAL AT THE 2017 IVAN HLINKA MEMORIAL (0-3—3 IN 5 GP).

• MODELS HIS STYLE OF PLAY AFTER BLACKHAWKS DEFENSEMAN DUNCAN KEITH.

Stop yelling.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad