1st Quarter Player Grades

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
Wasn't Giroux drafted by Clarke? Although not the same, but the players traded for Couturier, Schenn, Simmonds, and Voracek (Carter and Richards) were also drafted before Homer. Though I know that's nitpicking since you did say "acquired".

Yeah but not really. Homer was doing all the work at that point. It was evident considering Clarke couldn't even pronounce Giroux.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
Wasn't Giroux drafted by Clarke? Although not the same, but the players traded for Couturier, Schenn, Simmonds, and Voracek (Carter and Richards) were also drafted before Homer. Though I know that's nitpicking since you did say "acquired".

As others mentioned, Holmgren was more involved with the pick than Clarke (from what I understand).

I was at that draft (it was in Vancouver). :laugh:

FlyingPhilly

Mar 3, 2013
Philly
From a normal sports perspective, they all get Fs.

From a Flyers fan perspective, they are a solid B. If they can keep sucking and get a top 5, hopefully top 2 pick, then it is an A. This team just has too much crap and needs to get rid of a lot.

RinaldoZac

Jun 30, 2012
FWDs

Giroux - A+
Voracek - A+
B. Schenn - B
Simmonds - B
Read - C
Couturier - B-
Raffl - B
Lecavalier - C-
Bellemare - B-
Umberger - F
VandeVelde - C
Rinaldo - B/B-
Akeson - F
Laughton - B

DEF

Streit - A-
MacDonald - C+
Del Zotto - B
Schultz - B
Grossman - C+
Coburn - F
L.Schenn - C
Colaiacovo - C

G

Mason - B- (inconsistent)
Emery - C

FO/Coaches

Berube - D
Hextall - N/A
Homer - (lol)

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
FWDs

Giroux - A+
Voracek - A+
B. Schenn - B
Simmonds - B
Read - C
Couturier - B-
Raffl - B
Lecavalier - C-
Bellemare - B-
Umberger - F
VandeVelde - C
Rinaldo - B/B-
Akeson - F
Laughton - B

DEF

Streit - A-
MacDonald - C+
Del Zotto - B
Schultz - B
Grossman - C+
Coburn - F
L.Schenn - C
Colaiacovo - C

G

Mason - B- (inconsistent)
Emery - C

FO/Coaches

Berube - D
Hextall - N/A
Homer - (lol)

C'mo, that is unrealistically high and you know it. You should be ashamed of yourself!

DrHamburg

Mar 12, 2009
New York
Wow...some of you guys are way way too nice.

FWD
Voracek - A+
Giroux - A...6th in points, well below his shooting %
Schenn - A-..10-12th in LW scoring considering Berube switches line so much pretty impressive.
Simmonds - B+ 11-13th RW scoring, above average even strength Corsi
Raffl - B- All advanced stats say he is playing great, but he has had favorable line partners
Laughton - C+ Small sample size but he is playing well. He is on his way to being a very good 2 way player and works very hard. If he sticks with Schenn and Simmonds I could him being a B-B+ player by seasons end.
Bellemare - C-/D+, I see him as an above average 4th liner, average 3rd liner.
Couts - D, Love the kid, he is going to be a stud. Right now he is very good defensively and offensively not very good. He tilts the ice, but if the opposing team scores on him once, his game is a failure.
Read - D-, really awful this season. Have no idea what he is doing. He is a minus on the ice.

VandeVelde, Umberger, Vinny, Jones, Akeson, Rinaldo - F, How can you give them anything different? When they step on the ice regardless of who is against them, they are outplayed. They have 0 redeeming qualities and all need to be replaced. (Akeson has at least a chance to be better, the rest are just pure bad players)

Defense
Streit - B, in an ideal world he is a perfect 2nd pairing #3 d-man
DelZotto - B-, actually playing well.
L. Schenn - C+, He would be a perfect #5-6, is slightly overmatched as a 2nd pairing guy. Wish he was more but thats what he is.
Coburn - D, has gotten better but he is slightly below average right now. Pair that with some bone headed goal breakers and it is very sad.
Schultz - D, better than we had hoped. If he was an emergency 7 we could live with it. He is consistently awful.
MacDonald - D-, he is pretty close to useless. He is on the ice in hard matchups and is consistently overmatched. He lets opposing teams have the blueline consistently gets the team pinned deep. If you include his contract F.
Grossmann - F, wasn't as bad last year as people thought. He is as bad this year as everyone thinks.

Berube - F, outcoached every game. never lets lines develop chemistry. One of the worst teams in the league and he doesn't help.
Hextall - D-, Not his fault with injuries to the D, but if Kimmo was healthy we wouldn't have DelZotto so I cannot credit him for that. Yes we might be better 3 years down the road in the Hartnell trade but for the next 2-3 we are in a mighty hole from it. Schultz is indifferent. Bellemare is better than expected but still makes small impact if any. Keeps VandeVelde up...Resigned Rinaldo?

Goalies
Mason - B-, team is so bad in front of him and playing somewhat well.
Emery - D, below average goalie

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad