1st quarter/ 20 games grades

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
I'll post mine in TOI/gm, then add basic stats.

Forwards:

19:20 Zetterberg: A-.....4G/14A (#1)
18:02 Abdelkader: B-....5G/7A (#4)
16:32 Larkin: A++........8G/7A (#2)
16:04 Nyquist: B..........7G/5A (#5)
15:34 Glendening: C.....1G/2A
15:28 Sheahan: C.........3G/2A
15:00 Tatar: A-............6G/8A (#3)
13:48 Miller: C+...........0G/1A
13:42 Helm.................2G/2A
12:36 Pulkkinen: B.......6G/4A (#6)

<11 Games Played
14:28 Richards: Inc......0G/4A
10:40 Andersson..........0G/0A
10:02 Jurco.................0G/1A
08:53 Athanasiou.........1G/0A

Datsyuk - Incomplete

Defenders:

23:04 Kronwall: D.........0G/7A (21 GP) -8
21:12 Green: B-...........1G/6A (15 GP) -5
20:40 DeKeyser: B+.....1G/3A (17 GP) -1
19:09 Ericsson: D-.......1G/0A (21 GP +2
18:59 Quincey: Inc...... 1G/2A (7GP) +1
17:48 Smith: C+..........1G/2A (14 GP) +4
17:02 Kindl: C..............2G/3A (17 GP) +3
16:14 Marchenko: C......0G/0A (14 GP) -4

Ericsson has 30 PIMs. Next highest is 10 (Kindl, Smith).

Fairly anemic scoring from the back end.

Jimmy Howard: B -- 2.34 GAA/Sv% .917
Petr Mrazek: A+ --- 2.15 GAA/Sv% .935

Ericsson had that ******** 10 min major when the idiot Neil went after him with under 5 mins to go. Didn't even try to start a fight either but got settled up with a major (was the ottawa game I think with Neil's dumbass) or even throw a punch at him. So that is kinda a red herring accounting for 1/3rd of his PIM's. Not saying he has been stellar when he was on the top pairing. But he has pulled his weight the past 5-7 games on the second pairing where he belongs.

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
Ericsson had that ******** 10 min major when the idiot Neil went after him with under 5 mins to go. Didn't even try to start a fight either but got settled up with a major (was the ottawa game I think with Neil's dumbass) or even throw a punch at him. So that is kinda a red herring accounting for 1/3rd of his PIM's. Not saying he has been stellar when he was on the top pairing. But he has pulled his weight the past 5-7 games on the second pairing where he belongs.

That still puts him at 2X the next two culprits. I think the take away is that these three make a lot of mistakes, get caught flat-footed, and then they take a penalty to make up for it. Though Smitty is the hot-headed of the batch, so he'll just lash out sometimes.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
That still puts him at 2X the next two culprits.

Only on the blueline. And with more games played Ericsson has 10 minor penalties. And I know at least 1 of those was matching during that same Ottawa game. Abdelkader has 8. Larkin 7.

I'm not thrilled with Ericsson's play overall, I think he can be better, but I think we can expect our more physical defenders to get more penalties. Quincey has 3 minors in his 7 games and committed an identical number of minors to Ericsson last season. Unsurprisingly, these guys use their bodies more than any of our other guys.

Where Ericsson really needs to clean up is giveaways. He's leading the team by a mile there (21 - next closest is 10) and that's the really damning statistic if you want to show his deficiencies.

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
Only on the blueline. And with more games played Ericsson has 10 minor penalties. And I know at least 1 of those was matching during that same Ottawa game. Abdelkader has 8. Larkin 7.

I'm not thrilled with Ericsson's play overall, I think he can be better, but I think we can expect our more physical defenders to get more penalties. Quincey has 3 minors in his 7 games and committed an identical number of minors to Ericsson last season. Unsurprisingly, these guys use their bodies more than any of our other guys.

Where Ericsson really needs to clean up is giveaways. He's leading the team by a mile there (21 - next closest is 10) and that's the really damning statistic if you want to show his deficiencies.

I was hoping someone else would look at giveaways, shooting %, and evening things at ES, noting PP time and scoring, etc.

However, without having looked up the stat on giveaways, I would have guessed he was leading. It's still the most frustrating thing about E. It's also where he decides to send the puck, like right up the middle, or goes for a cute, short pass instead of a stronger clearing attempt. The next thing that stands out for me is the tendency to grab and attempt to obstruct when he gets caught flat-footed. His passing, shooting and neutral and offensive zone play have gotten better, imo.

Kronwall also looks very weak in his own end. We used to ignore that when he would make up for it with stellar offensive play, but he's not doing that this year either. I feel like Kronner has been making far too many defensive zone flubs given his years of experience and that essentially he's our #1 D.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
I was hoping someone else would look at giveaways, shooting %, and evening things at ES, noting PP time and scoring, etc.

However, without having looked up the stat on giveaways, I would have guessed he was leading. It's still the most frustrating thing about E. It's also where he decides to send the puck, like right up the middle, or goes for a cute, short pass instead of a stronger clearing attempt. The next thing that stands out for me is the tendency to grab and attempt to obstruct when he gets caught flat-footed. His passing, shooting and neutral and offensive zone play have gotten better, imo.

Kronwall also looks very weak in his own end. We used to ignore that when he would make up for it with stellar offensive play, but he's not doing that this year either. I feel like Kronner has been making far too many defensive zone flubs given his years of experience and that essentially he's our #1 D.

He hasn't been the greatest this year (kronner). But given his track record I will give him some time to work the kinks out. He could very well have just gotten off to a slow start. Mid season I believe is better to evaluate players that is why I haven't rated anyone in this thread. It is still to low sample size to really evaluate players so far.

Dekeyser is a perfect example. He got saddled with the injury bug so far quite a bit. It caused him to miss most of camp and the first 10 games or so. He is essentially having his training camp finding his legs and all right now.

While Kronner wasn't saddled up with injuries (that we know off) he isn't a spring chicken any longer and he could have had some issues in the offseason that would lead to a early sub par showing. It seems though as of the past 5 or so he is shaking off. So that is hopeful. The offense is starting to come. The defense has always been a little suspect (Stuart really helped him in that regard). But I have no worries about him being able to hit the 40 point threshold this year.

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
He hasn't been the greatest this year (kronner). But given his track record I will give him some time to work the kinks out. He could very well have just gotten off to a slow start. Mid season I believe is better to evaluate players that is why I haven't rated anyone in this thread. It is still to low sample size to really evaluate players so far.

Dekeyser is a perfect example. He got saddled with the injury bug so far quite a bit. It caused him to miss most of camp and the first 10 games or so. He is essentially having his training camp finding his legs and all right now.

While Kronner wasn't saddled up with injuries (that we know off) he isn't a spring chicken any longer and he could have had some issues in the offseason that would lead to a early sub par showing. It seems though as of the past 5 or so he is shaking off. So that is hopeful. The offense is starting to come. The defense has always been a little suspect (Stuart really helped him in that regard). But I have no worries about him being able to hit the 40 point threshold this year.

Yes, but it's good to have these quarter mark assessments. There are so many opinions formed, that left until midyear will take firm root, yet when you suss out the numbers, it paints a rather different picture than the perceptions that get bandied about as if someone did the analyses, plus watched all the games.

Then of course, there are our individual biases. :D

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Yes, but it's good to have these quarter mark assessments. There are so many opinions formed, that left until midyear will take firm root, yet when you suss out the numbers, it paints a rather different picture than the perceptions that get bandied about as if someone did the analyses, plus watched all the games.

Then of course, there are our individual biases. :D

I understand what you are pointing too and don't contest it. I just am more a wait and see approach first 42 games. After half the season I understand a more frequent approach. But to me specifically 20 games isn't enough to draw conclusions. Though i admit I like seeing how others view the games they watch. It is dynamic and interesting.

Last edited:

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Let's be clear. The *vast* majority of those 93 games had nothing to do with Datsyuk or Richards or even Jurco. All of whom I expect to start producing.

I cannot justify putting Tatar and Nyquist and Pulkkinen on the same grade. Nyquist has been noticeably better than both and Tatar has struggled. Pulks, while scoring some timely goals, has been pretty weak on the puck and turned it over a lot.
Pulkkinen is doing fine with his icetime. I see him as a fast young players with a canon righthanded shot. He needs to adjust to nhl speed, the game is too fast for him now.
We see Larkin doing great, but he got Z and Abdelkader who created a lot of time and space for him and he did great. Datsyuk and Richards might provide the same for Pulcanon. Give him 10-20 games with right linemates and then see what happens.
People bagging on Helm because of his point totals [aren't paying attention].

Helm last 5 games is B+, but before that D. He looked lost. Last 5 he looked great.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
I'll post mine in TOI/gm, then add basic stats.

Forwards:

19:20 Zetterberg: A-.....4G/14A (#1)
18:02 Abdelkader: B-....5G/7A (#4)
16:32 Larkin: A++........8G/7A (#2)
16:04 Nyquist: B..........7G/5A (#5)
15:34 Glendening: C.....1G/2A
15:28 Sheahan: C.........3G/2A
15:00 Tatar: A-............6G/8A (#3)
13:48 Miller: C+...........0G/1A
13:42 Helm.................2G/2A
12:36 Pulkkinen: B.......6G/4A (#6)

<11 Games Played
14:28 Richards: Inc......0G/4A
10:40 Andersson..........0G/0A
10:02 Jurco.................0G/1A
08:53 Athanasiou.........1G/0A

Datsyuk - Incomplete

Defenders:

23:04 Kronwall: D.........0G/7A (21 GP) -8
21:12 Green: B-...........1G/6A (15 GP) -5
20:40 DeKeyser: B+.....1G/3A (17 GP) -1
19:09 Ericsson: D-.......1G/0A (21 GP +2
18:59 Quincey: Inc...... 1G/2A (7GP) +1
17:48 Smith: C+..........1G/2A (14 GP) +4
17:02 Kindl: C..............2G/3A (17 GP) +3
16:14 Marchenko: C......0G/0A (14 GP) -4

Ericsson has 30 PIMs. Next highest is 10 (Kindl, Smith).

Fairly anemic scoring from the back end.

Jimmy Howard: B -- 2.34 GAA/Sv% .917
Petr Mrazek: A+ --- 2.15 GAA/Sv% .935

I like your grades.
Ericsson, we need him. He is a big body and is doing much better with DeKeyser than with Kronwall.
Blashill moved him from Kronwall and it might help both.

Blashill B.
20 games is too little. But he has done fine. Now he has to improve PP and move on. We should start playing better.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course

usually i think giveaway stat is fairly meaningless. it's pretty much always the top playmakers and puck movers at the top of the list. they have the puck a lot and thus end up turning it over a lot.

but ericsson doesn't have the puck a lot so i have no idea how he's ended up with so many compared to the rest of the team. and it's not like he can make plays with puck either so we can forget it like sens would with karlsson, and habs with subban.

but i do think he's been better this year. probably because he's playing easier minutes.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
usually i think giveaway stat is fairly meaningless. it's pretty much always the top playmakers and puck movers at the top of the list. they have the puck a lot and thus end up turning it over a lot.

but ericsson doesn't have the puck a lot so i have no idea how he's ended up with so many compared to the rest of the team. and it's not like he can make plays with puck either so we can forget it like sens would with karlsson, and habs with subban.

but i do think he's been better this year. probably because he's playing easier minutes.

Yeah, exactly. It tells a rough story when you consider who the person with the turnovers is. Like yourself, I was surprised he came out so far ahead and while I think Ericsson has looked more comfortable of late (the whole team has, too) it's definitely a part of his game he needs to clean up. There's also a grain of salt with the stat because you don't know what they are and aren't counting as a turnover, but when the trend tips so far one way on a team, you can at least get an idea of what's going on.

I've always thought Ericsson filled a niche on the blueline the way people argue Abdelkader fills a niche for the forwards. And because of that I give him more rope, but it's hard to keep giving rope sometimes. The injuries impacted his play last year, that's clear, and this year perhaps with the new system settling in towards the midway point Ericsson can get back to be a steady physical presence that isn't overextending his minutes and match ups.

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
Yeah, exactly. It tells a rough story when you consider who the person with the turnovers is. Like yourself, I was surprised he came out so far ahead and while I think Ericsson has looked more comfortable of late (the whole team has, too) it's definitely a part of his game he needs to clean up. There's also a grain of salt with the stat because you don't know what they are and aren't counting as a turnover, but when the trend tips so far one way on a team, you can at least get an idea of what's going on.

I've always thought Ericsson filled a niche on the blueline the way people argue Abdelkader fills a niche for the forwards. And because of that I give him more rope, but it's hard to keep giving rope sometimes. The injuries impacted his play last year, that's clear, and this year perhaps with the new system settling in towards the midway point Ericsson can get back to be a steady physical presence that isn't overextending his minutes and match ups.

When I was looking over the basic stats and time allotment, etc., my impression was that Kronner and E especially, and to a lesser extent, Dekeyser, are drawing the top players and struggling. They're just a notch too low (though Dekeyser may get there yet) to be able to consistently face the top players all the time. Especially E. He might be best suited to a 3-4 pairing, and in a stay-at-home role, crease clearing instructions. He just lacks the speed, skill and brains to take on the top forwards consistently.

This hasn't been lost on the observers here. Our D struggles because they're somewhat average, some good players too, but they will struggle against elite and top line forwards. Since our forwards are fairly young too, they can't compensate for the D's problems the way a more veteran roster did (though with Nick, it was a lot easier, obviously).

peckthenathan

Aug 26, 2015
Quarter-season report card

The start of the season is officially over! Especially with the break between Saturday and Wednesday's games, it seemed like a good time to analyze each player's first quarter of the season.

Who do you think I undervalued? Overvalued?

clicky clicky

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
A+ : Larkin , Mrazek
A : Zetterberg, Nyquist
A- : --------
B+ : Abdelkader, Howard, Green
B : Tatar, Ericsson, Sheahan
B- : Marchenko, Pulkkinen
C+ : Kronwall, Helm, Glendening
C : Dekeyser, Kindl, Smith
C- : -----
D : Miller, Andersson

Can't grade Franzen, Jurco, AA, Ferraro, Richards and Datsyuk.

Mainly our defense and 4th liners that need to step it up a notch. Datsyuk and Richards so far look like they should slide in somewhere on the upper half of the scale.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
The start of the season is officially over! Especially with the break between Saturday and Wednesday's games, it seemed like a good time to analyze each player's first quarter of the season.

Who do you think I undervalued? Overvalued?

clicky clicky

You are certainly an average Wings fan in terms of the commonly held view points in the fan-base I can say that...

The grades on Tatar, DeKeyser and Ericsson are hilarious but exactly where I expect them to be on the overvaluing/ignoring and crucifying/undervaluing scale.

Glad Tatar looks like he is turning a corner, but hard to get anywhere near a b+ without just stat sheet watching.

DK needs to get it righted he hasn't been much better than Kindl or Smith if at all better. At least in the last little while his partner has played well, you know the guy with an F.

We desperately need more out of Kronwall and DK.

Will have to crank out some rankings at some point over the holiday weekend with a write up explaining them, but DeKeyser especially relative to expectations is going to be tough one and a very low one.

Bushay

Aug 2, 2009
I'd have given both Quincy and Tatar a B- and other than those 2 I thought he was quite bang on.

You are certainly an average Wings fan in terms of the commonly held view points in the fan-base I can say that...

The grades on Tatar, DeKeyser and Ericsson are hilarious but exactly where I expect them to be on the overvaluing/ignoring and crucifying/undervaluing scale.

Glad Tatar looks like he is turning a corner, but hard to get anywhere near a b+ without just stat sheet watching.

DK needs to get it righted he hasn't been much better than Kindl or Smith if at all better. At least in the last little while his partner has played well, you know the guy with an F.

We desperately need more out of Kronwall and DK.

Will have to crank out some rankings at some point over the holiday weekend with a write up explaining them, but DeKeyser especially relative to expectations is going to be tough one and a very low one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad