1st quarter/ 20 games grades

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Zetterberg: B
Abdelkader: C
Larkin: A
Tatar: B
Nyquist: B+
Sheahan: D
Pulkkinen: C-
Miller: B-
Glendening: C
Athanasiou: B/Inc.
Richards: Inc.
Datsyuk: Inc.
Andersson: D
Jurco: D/Inc.
Franzen: F/Waived

Kronwall: D
DeKeyser: C+
Ericsson: B-
Kindl: C-
Marchenko: B
Quincey: B-/Inc.
Green: B

Jimmy Howard: B+
Petr Mrazek: A

Actual Thought*

Given that hockey is a team game and this team has yet to play as a cohesive unit for a complete 60 minute game it seems odd to me to give individual grades. I would give all players other than Howard and Mrazk an inconclusive. Mrazk and Howard get As for carrying the team through every win they have. Without their play the team could be last in the league.

If a working system emerges and the players are put in a position that allows them to succeed then you can judge individually whether or not the take advantage of that opportunity. That isn't the case at this time.

Obe2kenobe

Mar 23, 2014
U.P.

I think you pretty much nailed it. I would give Pulks B-, Kindl a C. And add Blash and give him a C.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
To me the worst player this season so far based on their play and expectation last season has been Glendening. Hasn't looked like the premier shut down center I thought he'd turn into, and his point totals are bad considering he scored 12 last season.

hyduK

Feb 21, 2009
To me the worst player this season so far based on their play and expectation last season has been Glendening. Hasn't looked like the premier shut down center I thought he'd turn into, and his point totals are bad considering he scored 12 last season.

Yeah, need to give him some more minutes so he gets into the groove again. :sarcasm:

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi

How is Franzen a F? 2 games and concussion symptoms returned. Then Ltir'd. Just a tad biit much of personal bias showing there.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009

I don't care about his points as much as his new found apparent penchant for taking bad penalties.

He's one of our main PKers and *he's* the one going to the box. Come on.

Hckytwn

Don't do it Kenny...
Jul 9, 2010
Seattle, WA
Glendening, Richards, Miller, Jurco, Helm, Datsyuk, Andersson, Ferraro have played in 93 total games and have a grand total of 8 points. That's an .09 pt/gm average.

To put that in perspective, Anderson and Cleary each had a .12 pt/gm average last season. So as far as offensive production goes that group isn't playing up to even that low, low level.

Sure, you can give an "inc" to the injured players, but when they have played, they've been nearly non-existent in the o-zone. Personally, I wouldn't give anyone in that group higher than a D+ as they've absolutely failed in half of their gameplay.

Finally, if this group--who hasn't scored once--scored at a 6-goal per 82 game pace (i.e. Miller's avg last two years) the Wings would have +.34 more gpg, moving them from #26 to #18... and probably giving them 3-4 more points in the standings.

Last edited:

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
My grades:
Mrazek:A+
Larkin:A+
Z:A-
Goose:B+
Howard:B+
Green:B
Tats:B-
Marchey:B-
Kronwall:C+
DK:C+
Pulcannon:C
Telly Tubby:C
Abby:C-
Kindl:C-
Ericsson:C-
Smith,Luke,Miller,Helm: D/D-
Everyone else hasn't played enough for me to grade. I will say that I think AA would be on his way to an A if he maintained that play.

I judged them on how well they've played especially considering expectations. Thus Larkin and Mrazek are rookies so each gets a bit of slack for small mistakes. I don't expect Luke to produce offense so I don't give him a bad grade when he fails to do so. He just hasn't played D that well this year. And so on. That's my two cents. I'm sure there'll be some disagreement.

Classicnamesup

MVP Backhand Slapper
Sep 13, 2013
Guru Meditation
Glendening, Richards, Miller, Jurco, Helm, Datsyuk, Andersson, Ferraro have played in 93 total games and have a grand total of 8 points. That's an .09 pt/gm average.

To put that in perspective, Anderson and Cleary each had a .12 pt/gm average last season. So as far as offensive production goes that group isn't playing up to even that low, low level.

Sure, you can give an "inc" to the injured players, but when they have played, they've been nearly non-existent in the o-zone. Personally, I wouldn't give anyone in that group higher than a D+ as they've absolutely failed in half of their gameplay.

Finally, if this group--who hasn't scored once--scored at a 6-goal per 82 game pace (i.e. Miller's avg last two years) the Wings would have +.34 more gpg, moving them from #26 to #18... and probably giving them 3-4 more points in the standings.

Glendening really hasn't had many backhands yet this year for some reason. He was much better last year, he was a rock solid defender who also agitated. This year he has had his struggles, as has Miller who is coming off a nice year himself.

Richards certainly looked good in the pre-season and for some reason is not yet doing it during the real season, hope he gets going.

Helm has also been disappointing no doubt but he was playing with Dats most of the year. Wouldn't mind playing him with Dats to get his value up and trading him off to some sucker.

Jurco - needs to get the offense going

Andersson/Ferraro - I don't expect any offense from either one of them, would rather Andersson be our press box buddy

Dats - don't know if we can expect a replication of last year but he is just getting back from injury, I am confident he will get his game going soon enough. Had a great chance last game

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
Zetterberg: A-
Abdelkader: C+
Tatar: C+
Athanasiou: Inc.
Jurco: D

Ericsson: C
Quincey: Inc.
Green: B-

Jimmy Howard: B

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway

Good point.

A+ Larkin and Mrazek
A Zetterberg
B Tatar, Nyquist, Howard, Dekeyser, Green, Abdelkader, Pulkkinen
C Datsyuk, Ericsson, AA, Kronwall, Richards, Marchenko, Kindl, Quincey
D Glendening, Miller, Sheahan
E Smith, Helm, Andersson, Jurco

Bushay

Aug 2, 2009
Though swap ericsson and kronners ranking

My thoughts too. But even a stretch giving Ericsson a D. He's been holding us back back there. And he needs to go. One of those big WEst coast teams would love hime back there. LA, Van, SJ,Anaheim. Lets do this one.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009

Let's be clear. The *vast* majority of those 93 games had nothing to do with Datsyuk or Richards or even Jurco. All of whom I expect to start producing.

Good point.

A+ Larkin and Mrazek
A Zetterberg
B Tatar, Nyquist, Howard, Dekeyser, Green, Abdelkader, Pulkkinen
C Datsyuk, Ericsson, AA, Kronwall, Richards, Marchenko, Kindl, Quincey
D Glendening, Miller, Sheahan
E Smith, Helm, Andersson, Jurco

I cannot justify putting Tatar and Nyquist and Pulkkinen on the same grade. Nyquist has been noticeably better than both and Tatar has struggled. Pulks, while scoring some timely goals, has been pretty weak on the puck and turned it over a lot.

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
I'll post mine in TOI/gm, then add basic stats.

Forwards:

19:20 Zetterberg: A-.....4G/14A (#1)
18:02 Abdelkader: B-....5G/7A (#4)
16:32 Larkin: A++........8G/7A (#2)
16:04 Nyquist: B..........7G/5A (#5)
15:34 Glendening: C.....1G/2A
15:28 Sheahan: C.........3G/2A
15:00 Tatar: A-............6G/8A (#3)
13:48 Miller: C+...........0G/1A
13:42 Helm.................2G/2A
12:36 Pulkkinen: B.......6G/4A (#6)

<11 Games Played
14:28 Richards: Inc......0G/4A
10:40 Andersson..........0G/0A
10:02 Jurco.................0G/1A
08:53 Athanasiou.........1G/0A

Datsyuk - Incomplete

Defenders:

23:04 Kronwall: D.........0G/7A (21 GP) -8
21:12 Green: B-...........1G/6A (15 GP) -5
20:40 DeKeyser: B+.....1G/3A (17 GP) -1
19:09 Ericsson: D-.......1G/0A (21 GP +2
18:59 Quincey: Inc...... 1G/2A (7GP) +1
17:48 Smith: C+..........1G/2A (14 GP) +4
17:02 Kindl: C..............2G/3A (17 GP) +3
16:14 Marchenko: C......0G/0A (14 GP) -4

Ericsson has 30 PIMs. Next highest is 10 (Kindl, Smith).

Fairly anemic scoring from the back end.

Jimmy Howard: B -- 2.34 GAA/Sv% .917
Petr Mrazek: A+ --- 2.15 GAA/Sv% .935

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad