Proposal: 1st overall to Vegas

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
I could see a deal here with Mccrimmon knowing Patrick so well, Vegas needing elite talent, and having a high lottery pick plus a plethora of other picks.

What would Vegas have to add to the 6th overall to get Patrick?

I know some fans are against this, and I'm somewhat borderline.

Not a huge drop off from 1-2 and 3-7 or so and the price may outweigh the gain. Some people think the Middelstadt / Glass / Vilardi all have the chance of being as good as the top 2 players.

I know that, and it's certainly possible, but I'm just curious as to what it would take.

6th + 34th + defender of your choice (outside of Theodore) for 1st overall + 3rd rounder

Pretty similar to when the Jackets traded from 3rd to 1st to get Nash.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
I'll say it again: involving Dallas solves a lot of problems.

Vegas gets Patrick at 1. New Jersey gets Makar at 3 plus a bribe. And Jim Nill gets to draft Boqvist at 6 like he's been desperate to do for months, plus Emelin and Sbisa. Win-win-win.

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia

Vegas gets Patrick at 1. New Jersey gets Makar at 3 plus a bribe. And Jim Nill gets to draft Boqvist at 6 like he's been desperate to do for months, plus Emelin and Sbisa. Win-win-win.
Boqvist? I think Kostin at 6 is more a Stars' type pick. :sarcasm:

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
I think it would take 6 plus one of 13 and 15 tbh

That would be a significant overpayment considering the past couple of times the 1st overall has been traded.

That would be an absolute no from about everyone in the league except for NJ.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
There have been New Jersey fans turning down Tanev+5 for 6, so I really don't see who Vegas could add to their pick to make it more attractive to Devils fan.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
There have been New Jersey fans turning down Tanev+5 for 6, so I really don't see who Vegas could add to their pick to make it more attractive to Devils fan.

Tanev + 5th would be an overpayment. I understand not wanting to move the pick, but purely value wise that is more than enough.

Just google past couple of times the pick has been traded.

1st for an early lottery pick / exchange of a 2nd for a 4th or so - or roster player

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
I think NJ has no desire to move down from the top two guys. However if they think they will get their guy, at latest would be #2, I could see them trading 1 down to 2++. After all, why not get another decent 1st rounder in NJ when you need so many pieces if you're just going to get your guy anyway? If NJ has decided on Hischier and the other team wants Patrick, then NJ is fine drafting Hischier at #2.

So in other words, I think if anything, LV should first make a deal with Philadelphia. Perhaps they could not only trade up and give Philly additional picks/players they got from the expansion draft, they could also take a sizable cap dump from Philly and give them a lot of flexibility suddenly. ...and right before free agency opens, too.

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia
I think NJ has no desire to move down from the top two guys. However if they think they will get their guy, at latest would be #2, I could see them trading 1 down to 2++. After all, why not get another decent 1st rounder in NJ when you need so many pieces if you're just going to get your guy anyway? If NJ has decided on Hischier and the other team wants Patrick, then NJ is fine drafting Hischier at #2.

So in other words, I think if anything, LV should first make a deal with Philadelphia. Perhaps they could not only trade up and give Philly additional picks/players they got from the expansion draft, they could also take a sizable cap dump from Philly and give them a lot of flexibility suddenly. ...and right before free agency opens, too.
NJ has been "rumored" to like Cale Makar even before Pronman said NJ is picking him. It's a huge leap to say they would trade down for him, but there's at least something there. There has been nothing to indicate that Philadelphia wants to trade down. Flyers are fine cap wise and the only thing they need is a number one center, which trading down doesn't help with.

If someone massively overpays, I'm sure it's possible Hextall would trade it, but it's sure as heck not to open up cap space for free agency.

Sam Pollock

Mar 1, 2013
Calgary

I honestly don't know what was going through Doug MacLean's head when he did that deal but this is what happened.

Florida's gm Rick Dudley found out that Atlanta was going to pick Kari Lehtonen with the 2nd pick overall. With that information, Dudley went to MacLean asked if the Jackets wanted to flip picks if they left Bouwmeester alone. The price was Florida's call to switch 1st round picks in 2003. Fortunately Columbus finished higher and didn't win the draft in 2003 as Florida did. If MacLean had refused the deal, the first 3 picks of 2002 would have been:

Florida Jay Bouwmeester
Atlanta Kari Lehtonen
Columbus Rick Nash

Bouwmeester was considered before the 2002 draft to be the best player of the draft. When the trade went down and he wasn't picked first, you should have seen the shocked look on his face. It really was priceless.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
NJ has been "rumored" to like Cale Makar even before Pronman said NJ is picking him. It's a huge leap to say they would trade down for him, but there's at least something there. There has been nothing to indicate that Philadelphia wants to trade down. Flyers are fine cap wise and the only thing they need is a number one center, which trading down doesn't help with.

If someone massively overpays, I'm sure it's possible Hextall would trade it, but it's sure as heck not to open up cap space for free agency.

Thanks, that's insightful.

How about this? If Philly trades down from 2OA to say, 6OA, still gets a top center prospect (the top six prospects according to NHL.com are all centers). Then they drop a cap dump to LVK like MacDonald for another cheaper defenseman or even a player like Marc Methot with salary retention. Finally, they get another top pick, a first rounder this year. With the additional cap space they can go pursue both Thornton and Marleau as a package deal. Thornton is not a 1C anymore but he's still good enough to take a lot of heat off of Giroux.

Plus still have the cap to re-sign Mason if that's Hexy's wish.

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
I think that for the 1st overall perhaps Vegas would've been better off not doing all those deal at the expansion draft. If they'd played hardball with a couple of teams maybe they could've snagged some better players to use for moving up. Of course there's a chance that some of those unprotected could've been traded away but not all. Minnesota and the Islanders couldn't have moved all their good unprotected and it always takes two to tango to make a trade.

I think offering the 6th and 17th could get them to 3rd. Then offer the 3 + 15 + Lindberg + 2nd in 2018 and see if either the Devils or Flyers bite.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Vegas has three picks in the first 15 selections, and I don't see Nolan Patrick as the type of talent you would break the bank for as far as trading up for him in the draft. I think that unless he really likes somebody in the 4 to 5 slot, George McPhee doesn't do anything. I can see him trading back the 13th or 15th selection for more draft picks, though.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
It would take 3 from the following:
6th overall
13th overall
15th overall
Shea Theodore
2018 1st rounder

that is ridiculous . 6,13 and theodore for patrick? this isnt matthews/mcdavid/laine

Englishcoyote

Jun 15, 2015
Manchester, England
I can see njd trading down. With the top 2 projected picks not being generational talents like the last two drafts, but you could pick a very good player at 6 overall. So I think there's a 25-30% chance Vegas trades up for first overall. So maybe 6th and 15th picks for 1st overall. I think jersey would think about it, maybe throw in a third rounder aswell to sweeten the deal

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
that is ridiculous . 6,13 and theodore for patrick? this isnt matthews/mcdavid/laine

The pick is not particularily available and New Jersey doesn't want to trade it. They are obviously listening to all offers in case they get a really good one where the other team overpays. So, if you want the pick, that's the price. If nobody pays the price, Devils keep the pick. Devils hold all the cards and leverage here.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
If I'm Vegas I keep the three 1st rounders and take 6th ovr. Middelstadt, Glass or Heiskanen, 13th Ovr. Necas or Välimäki and 15th Ovr. Anderson or Liljegren.

Rather then get one good player Vegas is getting three decent prospects, only different is not many players from the 1st round aren't making it straight to the NHL next season outside of Nolan & Nico.

Middelstadt and Glass could even be just as good as Patrick and Hischier, but Casey and Cody are going back to juniors/College.

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
The way this draft is shaping up to be, with the first two given and the next 30 almost totally up in the air, I can see them trading back from 15. Drop down a spot or two and pick up more picks or prospects as you go along.

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007
Can't see any scenario with Vegas that would interest Hextall in moving down. Even if Vegas offered all 3 1st rounders and Theodore(I know it's an overpayment value wise), it doesn't help the Flyers solve their biggest need. They already have just as much depth as anyone in the league and already hold 11 draft picks in this draft.

Anything outside of a young top 6 center with #1 potential wouldn't get it done IMO. Those players don't get moved.

oconnor9sean

Mar 3, 2013
DFW

Emelin and Sbisa? Are you sure you're a Stars fan?

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
I could see a deal here with Mccrimmon knowing Patrick so well, Vegas needing elite talent, and having a high lottery pick plus a plethora of other picks.

What would Vegas have to add to the 6th overall to get Patrick?

I know some fans are against this, and I'm somewhat borderline.

Not a huge drop off from 1-2 and 3-7 or so and the price may outweigh the gain. Some people think the Middelstadt / Glass / Vilardi all have the chance of being as good as the top 2 players.

I know that, and it's certainly possible, but I'm just curious as to what it would take.

6th + 34th + defender of your choice (outside of Theodore) for 1st overall + 3rd rounder

For reference:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.br.../4/25/4262594/nhl-draft-pick-value-trading-up

Vegas isn't trading up with an average defender and keeping Theodore. Shea's in the deal or Devils keep #1

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
It's a weak draft year.
If I were Vegas I'd trade some pieces I just picked up for the best package of picks and prospects I can get and go for quantity this year so that I can try to get the rebuild going with more depth.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad