Value of: 1st Overall Pick 2020 Trade Considered ?

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
I was wondering if 1st overall would ever be available if the team that wins the lotto is a cap strapped team.

As a Devils fan , would something like this even be considered ?

Devils offer :
2020 7th overall (NJ’s own pick)
2020 16th-20th pick approximate (via Canucks or Coyotes pick)
Severson - (Good bargain , low cost contract for useful player)

Team X - (cap strapped / in cap hell)
1st overall
Cap dump 1
Cap dump 2

Would any kind of structure like what’s listed above be a possibility or does the team who wins 1st overall take it and run . Even if already strong with forward depth ?

Ainsy01

Jun 12, 2014
if the leafs or oilers won id say thats a very real possibility. Maybe even too good of an offer from NJ.

Lets say its Edmonton..

1st overall
James Neal
Their 2nd worst contract

7th overall, pray Drysdale is there, top RHD in draft
20th overall
Severson, a very underrated Dman on the devils

I would do that all day if i was the oilers.

Last edited:

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
if the leafs or oilers won id say thats a very real possibility. Maybe even too good of an offer from NJ.

Lets say its Edmonton..

1st overall
James Neal
Their 2nd worst contract

7th overall,
20th overall
Severson, a very underrated Dman on the devils

I would do that all day if i was the oilers.
I’d do that for sure as a Devils fan .
Franchise winger to ride shot gun with Nico or Hughes .
Use whatever 1st round pick we have left to draft a defenceman .
Fits better with timeline of Devils rebuild (Losing Severson , adding Lafrenier and young D )

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
no team is going to "cheapen" Their 1st overall pick by attaching a bad contract to it. There are other ways to get rid of bad contracts without trading #1 overall.

Reactions: Barnaby

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Other than teams like minnesota snd rangers who need a center...they could trade down to 2 or 3.

Pittsburgh, Winnipeg, needs a center much more than winger

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I was wondering if 1st overall would ever be available if the team that wins the lotto is a cap strapped team.

As a Devils fan , would something like this even be considered ?

Devils offer :
2020 7th overall (NJ’s own pick)
2020 16th-20th pick approximate (via Canucks or Coyotes pick)
Severson - (Good bargain , low cost contract for useful player)

?

NJ would have to give up all 3 firsts snd next years unprotect 1st.

In this current lottery world ehrn a team 13-15 won the top pick but had other needs than the clear cut top overall player anything is possible.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
What would the Leafs do if they won the 1st overall? How would they make cap room for the player they select?

Tkachuckycheese

Oilers/Sens
Feb 2, 2016
Depending who's picking 1st some team could take Byfield 1st if they need a legit future #1C. 6'4 with speed and hands. Tempting if they are good on the wing.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Lafreniere will be the best bang-for-your-buck player in the league over the course of his ELC. No one is trading him to save cap space, that's preposterous, especially not for that shitty offer.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Lafreniere will be the best bang-for-your-buck player in the league over the course of his ELC. No one is trading him to save cap space, that's preposterous, especially not for that shitty offer.
It’s not just the salary of the ELC to consider. It’s a very serviceable Dman on a great contract plus shedding a terrible contract to move down a few spots .
I would t consider it THAT terrible .
For example , if the leafs or oilers win the pick , wouldn’t adding Severson and one of Sanderson or Rossi plus another pick in the 17-20 range plus dumping Neals contract be better than just Lafrenier ? Or am I looking at it wrong .
Oilers and leafs need a Dman more so than a winger .
Unless they just draft Lafrenier and trade a RNH or Nylander .

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
If Edmonton gets 1ov I’d be willing to move it for a D. I’d target a Werenski type. Someone capable of being a #1 D. For the record I believe Werenski is they just also have Jones. If the blues keep Pie maybe try a deal for Parayko could be made around 1ov + Larsson or something. There would be options

I wouldn’t consider the Devils quantity deal. Either we trade the pick even if adding which I’d have no problem doing or we keep it and draft Laf as McDavid winger and pray Broberg and or Bouchard develop into that player

Last edited:

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
NJ would have to give up all 3 firsts snd next years unprotect 1st.

In this current lottery world ehrn a team 13-15 won the top pick but had other needs than the clear cut top overall player anything is possible.
sounds like you believe lafreniere is a generational talent. i would not give up as much for lafreniere.

op clearly targets a contender/pretender type team, which wants to win now, but lacks the cap space to reshape the roster into a true contender. IMO edmonton doesn't fit as their cap issues are short term only and mcd and drai are signed long term. pittsburgh fit the narrative if you believe the core of their team has still a title run in them. florida is in a tight position, but they exactly lack a superstar forward to become a contender. nyr are in a rebuild and would simply shape the roster around lafreniere. minnesota might trade lafreniere, but only if the a 1C like hischier or hughes is part of the trade. if nashville would unload a contract or two, it would be from their center position and their need shifts to hischier and hughes again. winnipeg is set at the wings and they need help on the blueline. but there are 'little' dump worthy contracts available and severson might not have the quality they are looking for. toronto fits well with the return of the proposal, as their need is mainly cap space and RHD. but tml's rich contracts are not pure cap dumps. they don't need to attach a 1OA to move marner or nylander.

i don't see a realistic trade like op describes it.

Last edited:

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
let him first play in the league before rushing to such a conclusion.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Lafreniere (and anyone else drafted) will be on an ELC. His cap hit is irrelevant for 3 years.
Not quite, in addition to the normal max ELC salary, Laf will have the usual 1OA package of max Schedule A $850k and max Schedule B $2M Performance Bonus, bringing his cap hit to $3.775 AAV.

Reactions: Benstheman

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Not quite, in addition to the normal max ELC salary, Laf will have the usual 1OA package of max Schedule A $850k and max Schedule B $2M Performance Bonus, bringing his cap hit to $3.775 AAV.

But it should be pointed out that he has to earn those bonuses, and they can be rolled over into next year, if necessary.

Reactions: Benstheman

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
But it should be pointed out that he has to earn those bonuses, and they can be rolled over into next year, if necessary.

It's a bit complex issue that I won't even claim to fully understand. They count as full against Club's Averaged Club Salary to the full potential amount until they become impossible to obtain, but for most part that happens only at the ending whistle of Game 82.

CBA 50.5(h)(i) said:
Subject to Section 50.5(c)(i)(A), for the purposes of calculating a Club's Averaged Club Salary, the Averaged Amount of Performance Bonuses (to
the extent permitted in accordance with Section 50.2(b)(i)(C) above) shall be included as fully earned in the League Year in which they may be earned. However, the unaveraged cash value of such Performance Bonuses shall be calculated in a Player's SPC for purposes of the Variability Rules, as set forth in Section 50.7 below. The cash amount of any Performance Bonuses contained in an SPC that becomes impossible to earn in a given League Year shall, at that time, be deducted from the Club's Averaged Club Salary. Any Payroll Room that may result will only be for the remainder of that League Year and will not affect the Averaged Amount of a Player's multi-year SPC or the inclusion of any Performance Bonuses in the Averaged Amount of the future League Years of such SPC.

The possibility of roll-over is not particularly good for a cap team, especially if they got some LTIR shenanigans going on at the same time.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
It's a bit complex issue that I won't even claim to fully understand. They count as full against Club's Averaged Club Salary to the full potential amount until they become impossible to obtain, but for most part that happens only at the ending whistle of Game 82.

The possibility of roll-over is not particularly good for a cap team, especially if they got some LTIR shenanigans going on at the same time.

Rollover is definitely something to avoid.

Rpenny

Feb 23, 2019
We are not looking at a generational player, we are looking at a very good player and the question is could he be flipped to a team that have the assets to help the first team?

Oilers trade the 1st, Neal, Russell and Kassian to the Devils for 3 firsts? Devil fans riot

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad