Proposal: 1st OA to ANA

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
This draft is not generational, not even close.

But the under-valuing of this draft is getting to be flat out ridiculous. If the Devils called offering this to the Ducks, GM Murray would be an idiot to decline.

Let's not sit here and act like Nolan Patrick had the junior career of a 3rd line grinder. This is the same kid who at 17 scored 102 points in 72 WHL games and then went on to win MVP of the WHL playoffs.

He had an injury-riddled draft season. It happens. Happened to Nathan MacKinnon. Happened to Alex Galchenyuk. Happened to Morgan Rielly.

As fans, we've been spoiled over the last couple of years with drafts featuring Connor McDavid, Jack Eichel, Auston Matthews and Patrik Laine. This draft isn't on par with those drafts, but let's pump the brakes on labelling the top prospects in this draft as players with ceilings of a 2nd liner or #4-6 defensemen.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Not even remotely interested.

To get the Devils to move the pick, you have to severely overpay. If you want to do that, I'm all ears. If not, move along.

evnted

Apr 14, 2016
is this retaliation for the guy who posted the Montour for a 2nd and a 3rd deal?

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Honestly don't see why Ducks would give up 4 solid assets for one non-generational player. This is the wrong year to get excited about and overpay for a #1 draft pick.

stavs*

Oct 11, 2010
Toronto
Is Hischier/Patrick even worth that.

Hischier is almost a clone of Nylander with a more refined defensive game and Patrick might not even become a #1C and has a long history of injuries already before even being drafted. Neither player holds a candle to the top 2 picks of 15/16 draft.

vtdevils2k

"Lets Go Baby!"
Dec 16, 2013
Virginia
Is Hischier/Patrick even worth that.

Hischier is almost a clone of Nylander with a more refined defensive game and Patrick might not even become a #1C and has a long history of injuries already before even being drafted. Neither player holds a candle to the top 2 picks of 15/16 draft.

Appreciate your hard hitting analysis!

I don't know why some Leafs fans have to continue to let everyone know they got Matthews and he's so much better than everyone else. We get it. You nor anyone know what Patrick/Nico will be in a couple of years.

We'll be more than happy with who we get at #1 and them being with our team for a long time. Teams like NJ who have had much success and cups to show for it are never in line to draft a top talent. We're rebuilding and never have believed in tanking like other teams have done.

As for the original post, NJ declines and will proudly trust Castron to make the right choice between Patirck/Nico

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007
Actually that's not true. If the Colorado Rockies hadn't signed RFA Dwight Foster from the Boston Bruins. The compensation was the Devils 1982 1st rounder and 2nd rounder while New Jersey received the Bruins 1982 1st rounder and 10th rounder. The proof is right here:

http://prosportstransactions.com/hockey/DraftTrades/Years/1982.htm

Now you can say that it was the Rockies who finished last and you would still be completely wrong. If the Rockies hadn't signed Dwight Foster, the Devils would have had their 1st pick overall.

Furthermore, in 1983 the Devils would have had the 3rd pick overall; the 2nd pick overall in 1984 (both Pittsburgh and New Jersey were trying their best to finish last the draft Mario Lemieux); 3rd OA in 1985; 3rd OA in 1986; 2nd OA in 1987; and finally in 1988 did the Devils finally finish good enough for the playoffs and pick 12th OA. In 1989 the slipped back to 5th OA. This was all done before the lottery draft.

I honestly remember when the Devils were, as Wayne Gretzky famously said, a Mickey Mouse organization. It wasn't polite what he said but he was right.

It wasn't until Sean Burke played for the Devils that they made the playoffs. It wasn't until Martin Brodeur and Scott Stevens did the team gain respectability and Cup rings.

You really don't know what you are talking about.

Now go ahead and defend your comments and make yourself a bigger idiot that you were before.

Did you just post some brilliant research proving that the Devils never picked 1st overall to refute a post that said the Devils never picked 1st overall?

Kinda amazing, actually. Much respect for the depth of research though.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Fowler + Vatanen +2 2nds maybe

Two established top 4 dmen and 2 2nds >>> 1OV pick.

Yeah the 1OV is valuable but dear god is HF bad at assessing value.

You hope the 1OV turns into a player that's had similar impact as Fowler in Anaheim.

slimbob8

Aug 11, 2016
Weak draft or not, the 1OA would never, ever, ever get moved if the best piece coming back is a player of Vatanen's caliber. Doesn't matter how much quantity you throw at them. This proposal is not even remotely close IMO.

Last edited:

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Two established top 4 dmen and 2 2nds >>> 1OV pick.

Yeah the 1OV is valuable but dear god is HF bad at assessing value.

You hope the 1OV turns into a player that's had similar impact as Fowler in Anaheim.

why would the Devils trade the #1 pick for "fair value", exactly?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
The #1 pick is the #1 pick, I'm not giving that up if I'm New Jersey.

I dunno, this seems like the year that you get Chris Phillips. Yeah, that's a number one overall and yeah, you'll get a quality player, but what's the point in overpaying for that guy?

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
why would the Devils trade the #1 pick for "fair value", exactly?

That's more than fair value. I don't make that trade if I'm Anaheim.

This is a weak draft to boot. Nico and Patrick are fine players but they are on par with RNH and Yakupov. So why would I trade two top 4 dmen and 2 2nds for a RNH or Yakupov?

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
That's more than fair value. I don't make that trade if I'm Anaheim.

This is a weak draft to boot. Nico and Patrick are fine players but they are on par with RNH and Yakupov. So why would I trade two top 4 dmen and 2 2nds for a RNH or Yakupov?

I love posts like this.

Ya, I am sure that everyone thought Yak would be what he is now. THats why he went #1, right? It doesn't work like that.

If Patrick were in last year's draft, he would've been picked 3rd overall.

I don't care that Anaheim wouldn't make the deal, thats great. Do you see Devils fans posting about trading the pick? Its fans of other teams wanting the pick.

Scorcho

Twitter @AmateurAdult11
Apr 16, 2010
Space
You want the first overall, you overpay. the trade also helps you with the expansion draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad