Proposal: 1st OA to ANA

elmaco

Registered Hockey Fan
Feb 1, 2017
That's more than fair value. I don't make that trade if I'm Anaheim.

This is a weak draft to boot. Nico and Patrick are fine players but they are on par with RNH and Yakupov. So why would I trade two top 4 dmen and 2 2nds for a RNH or Yakupov?

Patrick is projected to become a franchise guy, you dont want him for scraps? okay man :help:

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
That's what a 1st Overall pick is projected to be. It's not out of this world to believe that Patrick can become a franchise player in the mold of an Eric Staal.

He's not going to be a generational forward like Crosby/Malkin/McDavid but there's still a ton of potential there with Patrick.

That's not a default given. But you just go ahead and hope that. It doesn't matter to me. The Ducks have no interest in overpaying for that mystery box.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Patrick is projected to become a franchise guy, you dont want him for scraps? okay man :help:

A lot of prospects are projected for a lot of things. It was predicted Yakupov would be a good NHL player but he hasn't been such a player. Patrick could end up being good 2nd line center or a average 1st line center.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
NJD need a 1st line center and defence. Anaheim has some good young defenceman but no young centers. I'd just keep the pick if I was Jersey and select Patrick. He might not become an Art Ross winner but he'll still be a good player.

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
If you want a sense of what #1 overall in a non-generational talent draft might theoretically be worth, the Panthers in 2014 reportedly were willing to trade #1 overall to Philly for #17, Brayden Schenn and Simmonds. I think Nico or Nolan are worth more as draft prospects than Ekblad because defensemen are much more risky, or if they don't turn out to be busts, they may not be all world players.

Whatever the case, I doubt that Shero trades the pick. The team needs a franchise center, and so long as he gets a clean bill of health, I think Patrick will be the pick.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
That's what a 1st Overall pick is projected to be. It's not out of this world to believe that Patrick can become a franchise player in the mold of an Eric Staal.

"It's not out of this world to believe that he can become" is a whole lot different from "is projected to be", even if you consider Eric Staal to be a franchise player, which I would consider to be a rather soft usage of the term.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
That's not a default given. But you just go ahead and hope that. It doesn't matter to me. The Ducks have no interest in overpaying for that mystery box.
Lol, if you think that the offer in OP is overpayment for the 1st overall pick, you probably aren't very good at evaluating trades. The Ducks walk away laughing. Sami Vatanen? The offensive defensemen who has never cracked 40 points? Shea Theodore, who has yet to even establish himself as a top-4 NHL defensemen?

It must be the two 2nd round picks that make it overpayment, yes? :laugh:

"It's not out of this world to believe that he can become" is a whole lot different from "is projected to be", even if you consider Eric Staal to be a franchise player, which I would consider to be a rather soft usage of the term.

Well what do you expect? Every single player to be a guaranteed 1st line 80-90 point centre? Sorry, but those players don't exist in every single draft.

Also, Eric Staal absolutely was a franchise player. If you can't see that he was, I don't know what to tell you. Franchise players don't have to be generational talents.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
Well what do you expect? Every single player to be a guaranteed 1st line 80-90 point centre? Sorry, but those players don't exist in every single draft.
Why would you think that I expect that? How does my inability to see a "franchise player" projection for Patrick say anything about what I expect from every or any draft? I specifically object to the notion that every 1st overall pick is projected to be a franchise player.

Also, Eric Staal absolutely was a franchise player. If you can't see that he was, I don't know what to tell you. Franchise players don't have to be generational talents.
He can be a franchise player to you. I don't agree. There's a bunch of players throughout Staal's "generation" that I'd consider franchise players, without them being "generational". It's a highly subjective term, so saying he was "absolutely" that seems rather egocentric.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Why would you think that I expect that? How does my inability to see a "franchise player" projection for Patrick say anything about what I expect from every or any draft? I specifically object to the notion that every 1st overall pick is projected to be a franchise player.

He can be a franchise player to you. I don't agree. There's a bunch of players throughout Staal's "generation" that I'd consider franchise players, without them being "generational". It's a highly subjective term, so saying he was "absolutely" that seems rather egocentric.

Well, what do you expect a 1st Overall pick to be, then?

Agree to disagree, but I personally believe more people would look at Eric Staal as a franchise player than those who would not. During his 21-28 year old seasons, he averaged 80 points per 82 games, and the only time he failed to reach 70 points was the lockout season when he had 53 in 48 games.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
Well, what do you expect a 1st Overall pick to be, then?

I don't expect a "1st overall" to be anything but a player being selected in one year. The difference between 1st overalls from one year to another can (obviously) be massive. Very rarely, one can be projected to be generational, like McDavid. Some others may be projected to be franchise players, maybe even with generational potential (highlighting the difference between projection and potential/upside). Far more are "just" projected to be star players with mere franchise potential. Certainly not every 1st overall gets a "franchise player" projection just for being the best in his draft year. That's not how it works.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Lol, if you think that the offer in OP is overpayment for the 1st overall pick, you probably aren't very good at evaluating trades. The Ducks walk away laughing. Sami Vatanen? The offensive defensemen who has never cracked 40 points? Shea Theodore, who has yet to even establish himself as a top-4 NHL defensemen?

It must be the two 2nd round picks that make it overpayment, yes? :laugh:

My response was not specific to the OP regarding value. It was in general to the view put forward by you and others that your mystery box is worth an overpayment because it is a 1OA. Just being a 1OA does not create value in and of itself.

But for the record I wouldn't give you Vats, Theo and two 2nds for that mystery box. He could become a stud and he could become a ho hum. I don't know and I don't care. I just have no interest in going down that road.

Golden Gophers 4649

Minnesota Hockey Fan
Jun 15, 2015
Minneapolis
Lindholm is as good as Matthews and McDavid, confirmed.

It's called 'reading'. I believe the point was the #1 OA doesn't get you Lindholm or any variation of a package that includes him unless there is a generational talent coming back. He's a #1 defenseman which is likely better than you get with either of the candidates to go #1 OA this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad