1st cuts made. UPDATE: 2nd cuts made, And more cuts..and original post

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Surprised Blacker got the axe before playing a second game, but we're stacked at the back. He certainly looked better than most of last year in the game Sunday.

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
The Toronto Maple Leafs announced Tuesday that the hockey club has reduced its training camp roster by 14 players. Toronto’s current roster (listed below) now stands at 37 players (21 forwards, 13 defencemen, and three goaltenders).

Forwards Sam Carrick, Andrew Crescenzi, Jerry D’Amigo, Josh Leivo, Greg McKegg and Brad Ross, defencemen Petter Granberg, Dylan Yeo and Zachary Yuen, and goaltenders Christopher Gibson and Garret Sparks have all been assigned to the Toronto Marlies of the American Hockey League.

Forwards Frederik Gauthier (Rimouski – QMJHL) and Ryan Rupert (London – OHL), as well as defenceman Kevin Raine (Sudbury – OHL) have been reassigned to their respective junior clubs.

2nd round of cuts as per request

ToMaLe

Sep 24, 2002
Saskatchewan
Surprised Blacker got the axe before playing a second game, but we're stacked at the back. He certainly looked better than most of last year in the game Sunday.
I agree...one of the better players in the first pre season game...it was pretty much a given he was going to start with the Marlies but still should of got a longer look in the main camp....hope he gets a call up this season and make it hard for Leaf management to send him back down.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
Biggs needs a year as a top line winger, PP and PK.

Blacker needs a year to take over the blue-line.

Based off how Spott has used him thus far during camp and rookie tournament, I don't think you'll be seeing him as a top line winger or top PP guy.

Expect him to be on a checking line and seeing lots of PK time. Probably similar to the role Jerry D'Amigo had last year.

Unless Biggs shows some form of offensive touche at the AHL level, he's going to be groomed in a defensive role by the looks of it.

leafstilldeath*

Live by the motto, as long as you know, if most people don't agree what you are saying, you are most likely wrong.

Thats good enough for me. The day it changes to "definitely wrong" I will eat crow and shut up. Until then I am calling like i see it. Bozak is not a 1C or better suited than Kadri to center Kessel. And Dion is a defensive liability as his brain farts usually cost a goal not a possession change.

That said RESPECT for Phaneuf for being a good samaritan. Didn't know he pays 300K from his own pockets for sick kids to attend games. That is a class act.

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
Bozak is not a 1C or better suited than Kadri to center Kessel.

You don't seem to get that Bozak being "better" or "worse" than Kadri has absolutely nothing to do with Bozak playing with Kessel. The idea is to make the Leafs harder to play against, not easier, because both Kadri and Kessel are offensive sparkplugs. Separating them onto their own lines makes us twice as dangerous offensively. Put them together and we'll end up like Anaheim the last few years, where teams target our first line only and sneer at the rest of our lineup.

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
I cant see abbott staying much longer, need to send some of the kids down so that they can establish this damn powerplay already

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I cant see abbott staying much longer, need to send some of the kids down so that they can establish this damn powerplay already

He had a pretty brutal game, in my opinion. I guess expected too much out of him though.

Penalty Kill Icing*

Abbott to Marlies; and Marshall going on waivers at noon today.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
He had a pretty brutal game, in my opinion. I guess expected too much out of him though.

I dont know if they realize that randy is stacking the cards in their favor or not.... he gave him and colborne prime opportunities, and honestly they kind of blew it tbh. Like feeding JVR the puck really isnt that hard to do... and colborne looked like a legit strugglasorris last night, abbott too, time to go

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I get the feeling we will see Colborne and Franson will be traded to Calgary, or like Columbus

StuckOutHere

Feb 10, 2010
I get the feeling we will see Colborne and Franson will be traded to Calgary, or like Columbus

I'm still confident Franson will sign. Nonis waited out Kadri, he'll wait out Franson too. Franson has less leverage based on the fact we do have players who can fill his spot.

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener

I suggested Franson, Liles and prospect to Calgary for Wideman (with 25% retained)

play along Burkes idea of buying prospects
Wideman at under 4 would be pretty good for the next 3 years and help out the PP for sure

Would rather keep Franson but at this point not sure its going to happen

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
Marshall is on a two way deal and has only played 10 NHL games excluding this years pre season. Are you sure about that?

Two way deals have nothing to do with waivers. According to Jonas Siegel via Randy Carlyle he is on waivers, so yes I am sure about that.

According to CapGeek it's due to his age and number of years since his first contract.

Last edited:

Animal

Oct 10, 2012
abbott needs a big year in the AHL before making the jump. I feel like if he's not PPG this season, given his expected big minutes, he probably won't be brought back

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
hope marshall clears. he opened my eyes last night with some very solid play. good depth.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad