1st composite stick

hoonking

Jan 25, 2010
There is a reason to move away from wood, wood doesn't last.

This guy will love a composite as it pertains to lasting much much longer than wood from slapshots and blade damage.

I used wood for 35 years and spend way way less money now on composites since they last so long.

I also recommend not using ultra light expensive sticks and believe them to be junk that breaks more easily than the lesser priced composites.

One still needs a quality composite however as far as having feel. I hate seeing a new composite user using a cheapie composite since he isn't getting a good product to ween himself away from wood with.

The X40 is a decent stick for this guy i agree with you here.

No offense to the OP, but wood would last a lot longer if he had proper technique. Then he probably wouldn't even be making this thread. But that's beside the point.

The ultra light composites probably feel more frail but depending on the material there is a good chance they are stronger than most cheap ones. However the OP also said he likes the weight of a woodie so I doubt he'll go buy a Crazy Light any time soon.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
No offense to the OP, but wood would last a lot longer if he had proper technique. Then he probably wouldn't even be making this thread. But that's beside the point.

The ultra light composites probably feel more frail but depending on the material there is a good chance they are stronger than most cheap ones. However the OP also said he likes the weight of a woodie so I doubt he'll go buy a Crazy Light any time soon.

Nope, that's usually not the case as the cheaper ones have more fiberglass in their construction whereas the high end ones have more carbon. Fiberglass is a more durable material

Lososaurus

Oct 28, 2008
California
Despite it being out of your desired price range, my Easton ST has been a tank for several months. When the nuclear apocalypse comes, there will be 2 things left: Stale Twinkies and Easton ST's.

Just suggesting it because it seems like you're tired of busting sticks.

hoonking

Jan 25, 2010
Nope, that's usually not the case as the cheaper ones have more fiberglass in their construction whereas the high end ones have more carbon. Fiberglass is a more durable material

Well then, I guess he shouldn't be looking at the X:60s of the world, which is fine considering his preferences to weight.

nystromshairstylist

Dec 13, 2009

How could you possibly be "offending" me? Have you seen my avatar ;)

I will combine responses in this post - yes, my technique is probably poor, but I don't think that I'm THAT far off where a stick should break after 3 slap shot attempts. My other woodies broke easily from just normal play: wristers, solid passes to my wingmen leading to scores, you know...

I am looking at the 5030 composite b/c a LHS said that Sher-wood expended significant R&D to make a composite with the weight and "feel" of a wood. I haven't seen it in person yet but will next week.

I thought the X:40 was a nice feeling stick, I played around with it and a lacrosse ball in the store - far heavier than a puck but was the only thing available - and it felt very solid, no vibrations or wobble. Will definitely pick one up to try out as well.

The Benchwarmer

Apr 9, 2005
England
What does it mean when people refer to sticks as having low or high kick points?

I've got an XXXX stick and also an X:60 which I've fast thinking is a white elephant because its 102 flex, and really way too stiff for me.

hoonking

Jan 25, 2010
How could you possibly be "offending" me? Have you seen my avatar ;)

I will combine responses in this post - yes, my technique is probably poor, but I don't think that I'm THAT far off where a stick should break after 3 slap shot attempts. My other woodies broke easily from just normal play: wristers, solid passes to my wingmen leading to scores, you know...

I am looking at the 5030 composite b/c a LHS said that Sher-wood expended significant R&D to make a composite with the weight and "feel" of a wood. I haven't seen it in person yet but will next week.

I thought the X:40 was a nice feeling stick, I played around with it and a lacrosse ball in the store - far heavier than a puck but was the only thing available - and it felt very solid, no vibrations or wobble. Will definitely pick one up to try out as well.

Well the best thing to do would to maybe get a private lesson for maybe half an hour just to help with your shot technique because the help of a professional in 30 minutes will probably help far more and faster than evaluating yourself.

And to reiterate myself, the X40 is a great stick :)

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
What does it mean when people refer to sticks as having low or high kick points?

I've got an XXXX stick and also an X:60 which I've fast thinking is a white elephant because its 102 flex, and really way too stiff for me.

a kickpoint on a stick is where the stick 'flexes' and transfer energy on a shot like a slingshot. A low kickpoint stick (like the XXXX or 10K) is great for your quick wristers and onetimers while a mid kickpoint stick (like the One95) is great for loading up on slappers.

If you feel that 102 flex is too stiff for the X:60, obviously consider moving down, but remember that when you're flexing it on the ground or in the store, the stick flexes according to its kickpoint. A mid KP stick is 'easier' to flex because your applying pressure to the KP, while its harder to flex a low KP

The Benchwarmer

Apr 9, 2005
England
a kickpoint on a stick is where the stick 'flexes' and transfer energy on a shot like a slingshot. A low kickpoint stick (like the XXXX or 10K) is great for your quick wristers and onetimers while a mid kickpoint stick (like the One95) is great for loading up on slappers.

If you feel that 102 flex is too stiff for the X:60, obviously consider moving down, but remember that when you're flexing it on the ground or in the store, the stick flexes according to its kickpoint. A mid KP stick is 'easier' to flex because your applying pressure to the KP, while its harder to flex a low KP

Thanks for taking the time to explain things :). Tell me, are the XXXX and X:60 fairly similar in regards KP?

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Thanks for taking the time to explain things :). Tell me, are the XXXX and X:60 fairly similar in regards KP?

hmm good question, because Bauer has introduced a new 'technology' into their Vapour stick line called the Intelli-Sense Shot Technology (only available in X:40, X:50 and X:60) where the stick flexes according to the placement of your hand

7648-BAUER-live-main-default-imagedata.jpg

The XXXX has a traditional low kickpoint tapered I believe, but for all intents and purposes, think of the X:60 as having the same, but a bit better for slappers than the XXXX

The Benchwarmer

Apr 9, 2005
England
hmm good question, because Bauer has introduced a new 'technology' into their Vapour stick line called the Intelli-Sense Shot Technology (only available in X:40, X:50 and X:60) where the stick flexes according to the placement of your hand

The XXXX has a traditional low kickpoint tapered I believe, but for all intents and purposes, think of the X:60 as having the same, but a bit better for slappers than the XXXX

OK, sounds good, thanks for the heads up. :D

bmundus

Jul 4, 2009
seattle, wa
www.sportscity.com
probably the only one to say this but get a 2 piece. when i went from wood i tried an aluminum and hated it, i also dislike aluminum bats so... went back to wood then i got the first bauer vapor viii. loved it. tried a composite blade did not like it. went to a wood blade loved it. tried going to a one piece hate it for ice love it for roller.
if you like the feel of the puck with a wood stick a composite shaft with a wood blade is the way to go and pretty cheep in the long run.
but i know a ton of people that did the same thing i did and love a one piece.

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
I've had a couple composite sticks and have gone back to the TPS Response, they're awesome sticks. They actually lasted me about twice as long as all the other sticks I've used and I love the feel of them.

Gunnar Stahl 30

...In The World!
Dec 9, 2006
Marty's Better

the XXXX has only one flex, the x60 has two. it is stiffer by your hand and whippier by the blade

also teh blade is different on the x60

tps Response has been using teh multiple flexes for a while now

Hockeyfan68

Dec 24, 2006
Lewiston, ME USA
www.myspace.com

Sorry but that is completely false. I have proper technique and the woodies don't last for crap, a compopsite lasts a long time with proper technique. Wood blades give out very quickly when one can actually shoot well, Poor technique breaks composites as well as using the wrong flex too stiff or too light more than regular use breaks them.

The only time a woodie will last someone is if they are a dangle/passer and don't shoot type player.

I've saved so much money since switching to composites it isn't even a contest as to which is better moneywise.

I'm telling you right now that when you know how to shoot wood doesn't last period.

I've ruined wood blades in an hour before practicing shooting. I used wood for 35 years and I just know this from experience.

It really is the truth Mr. King of Hoons.

Last edited:

hoonking

Jan 25, 2010
Sorry but that is completely false. I have proper technique and the woodies don't last for crap, a compopsite lasts a long time with proper technique. Wood blades give out very quickly when one can actually shoot well, Poor technique breaks composites as well as using the wrong flex too stiff or too light more than regular use breaks them.

The only time a woodie will last someone is if they are a dangle/passer and don't shoot type player.

I've saved so much money since switching to composites it isn't even a contest as to which is better moneywise.

I'm telling you right now that when you know how to shoot wood doesn't last period.

I've ruined wood blades in an hour before practicing shooting. I used wood for 35 years and I just know this from experience.

It really is the truth Mr. King of Hoons.

Well you apparently are the exception when regarding slapshots. This guy is a relative beginner and is probably hitting the ground too far back or something because unless he is quite strong or does have great technique, woods should last longer than 1 game.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
I thought he meant those specific wood sticks should last more than a game...the 7000 and 9950 are fiberglass reinforced so should not be snapping at the shaft so quickly.

I'm still confident for 99% of players the cost of using composite sticks over time is far less than the cost of using wood. It's just getting over that initial purchase price that scares people.

And did anyone else find it funny that the OP wanted a heavier weight and durable stick and ended up with a U+? :D

madmutter

F**king Phenomenal
Jun 6, 2009
Where are these woodies coming from? If they have been sitting on the shelf for a few years they'll be dried out and brittle. Wood sticks need to be fresh, or kept in a humidor;)

Hockeyfan68

Dec 24, 2006
Lewiston, ME USA
www.myspace.com
Well you apparently are the exception when regarding slapshots. This guy is a relative beginner and is probably hitting the ground too far back or something because unless he is quite strong or does have great technique, woods should last longer than 1 game.

That is certainly possible for sure. I've trashed a wood stick in one hour shooting slapshot after slapshot. But in a game the thing should last 2 to 4 weeks if playing 2 games a week or possibly more if one doesn't get the puck that often.

I see what you mean.

I shoot with good mechanics and shoot really hard and wood does not last very long at all. I was buying new sticks every 2 weeks or so which was about 4 sessions. Either the shaft lost its zip and rubberized or the blade cracked at the height of the puck and would start to sawdust out of the crack and lose that nice crisp sound when getting a hard pass.

I am so happy to use composites now after so many years using wood. I like having a new stick feel everytime i go out there.

nystromshairstylist

Dec 13, 2009
Well I went out and got the x40, so at open hockey monday night - assuming they can keep an ice rink functional in 97-degree weather - I'll be trying it for the first time.

I do really like the CCM u+ LE but it is clearly heavier than the x40. These 2 will be my primary sticks until one breaks.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00