1st composite stick

nystromshairstylist

Dec 13, 2009
Want to spend no more than about $60, tired of breaking sher-wood 7000s and 9950s taking slap shots; any suggestions?

Heavier weight is preferable actually, which besides cost is one of the reasons I'd been using a wood until now.

Heard the Easton SEs are good, Reebok 4Ks, etc - any suggestions/web sites with good sales?

hoonking

Jan 25, 2010
If you're looking for a heavy, cheap composite there is no reason to move away from wood. I seem to remember you saying that you liked the heavy feel of the old sticks so it doesn't hurt to stick with it. The cheaper composites don't have any benefits over a wooden stick either, except for a steeper price.

However, if you are willing to go a little lighter and about $30 over your price range, IMO the Vapor X40 is a great price point stick. Not a feather but pretty well balanced, a little blade heavy but not by much.

Check out www.icewarehouse.com for good deals; if you buy their branded hoodie, you get 10% off your current order and all future orders.

nystromshairstylist

Dec 13, 2009
If you're looking for a heavy, cheap composite there is no reason to move away from wood. I seem to remember you saying that you liked the heavy feel of the old sticks so it doesn't hurt to stick with it. The cheaper composites don't have any benefits over a wooden stick either, except for a steeper price.

However, if you are willing to go a little lighter and about $30 over your price range, IMO the Vapor X40 is a great price point stick. Not a feather but pretty well balanced, a little blade heavy but not by much.

Check out www.icewarehouse.com for good deals; if you buy their branded hoodie, you get 10% off your current order and all future orders.

The problem I'm having is that the woods are lasting like 2-3 sessions and breaking. I just starting learning the slapshot this week and broke a wood on like the 5th try.

They just don't hold up too well, so unless I start buying the real cheapie woods at like $15/each it really is time to look at another option. Breaking a $45 wood every few games is just too much...:shakehead

Maupin Fan

Hot Air
Sep 17, 2009
The guy that suggested the x40 is right. Bauer makes a good stick and they generally hold up pretty well, especially the blades.

Do NOT even waste your time with Eastons unless its an s19 or se16, both of which are 3 to 4 times what you want to spend. Easton sticks have ALWAYS went soft on me, in both the blade and shaft. After about 10 or so uses, they don't break, but the shafts turn into noodles and noticeably flex when receiving passes, as well as the blades turning to mush.

I haven't had either problem with any Bauer I have used or Warriors either.

doobie604

Jan 19, 2007
warrior bentley should be perfect. it's heavy but well balanced and very durable.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
If you don't care about weight, get something cheap to start, or get 2 or 3 different ones. You're going to want to experiment with flex, brand and blade patterns, so try a few different things.

My first composite was whatever the budget RBK was. I quickly learned it was too stiff for me, so I moved on to a budget Bauer Vapor, which led me, eventually, to the One95 and X:60, which I'm using today.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Seriously need to bump your budget up to $100. Anything under that unless it's on clearance is not worth it.

You can always find good deals on Craigslist...high end sticks go for $75 all day long slightly used. I just bought two One95's for $80 off a guy last week. Granted one was cracked but I'll try to have it repaired but the other is in fantastic shape. That's $400 worth of stick for $80!

Otherwise, good sticks to keep an eye on are the Vapor X:40 and if you can find them on clearance the Easton S11.

Another great option is to find a shaft and blade combo...you can get the One95 shaft for under $100 and use it with a wood blade or save up for the composite and have a great rig. Or get a high end shaft off eBay or Craigslist for $50 and buy a composite blade for another $50...high end stick for $100.

nystromshairstylist

Dec 13, 2009
Seriously need to bump your budget up to $100. Anything under that unless it's on clearance is not worth it.

You can always find good deals on Craigslist...high end sticks go for $75 all day long slightly used. I just bought two One95's for $80 off a guy last week. Granted one was cracked but I'll try to have it repaired but the other is in fantastic shape. That's $400 worth of stick for $80!

Otherwise, good sticks to keep an eye on are the Vapor X:40 and if you can find them on clearance the Easton S11.

Another great option is to find a shaft and blade combo...you can get the One95 shaft for under $100 and use it with a wood blade or save up for the composite and have a great rig. Or get a high end shaft off eBay or Craigslist for $50 and buy a composite blade for another $50...high end stick for $100.

1) the poster above said don't bother with an easton unless its an s19 or better...

2) is there an advantage to a 2 piece over a 1-piece?

3) any thoughts on the Montreal Lite 80?

http://www.montrealhockey-usa.com/nitro.htm

Last edited:

Jarick

Doing Nothing
S19 is their "top end" stick so there is no better, but the ST, SE16, and S19 are all high end. The S11 has a very good reputation especially for the clearance prices. Only downside with Easton is their blades go soft kind of quick, but they shoot really well.

Yes, 2-pieces are often cheaper than 1-piece, you can swap blades to try different curves, if you break one piece you can just replace the shaft or blade instead of the whole thing, etc.

Never used a Montreal composite product. They make the best wood sticks and blades, but never seen their composite stuff in person.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
As others have suggested, some of the best price point sticks at this time would be the X:40 and the slightly heavier S11

nystromshairstylist

Dec 13, 2009
Leaning towards the X:40 or the "Bentley" - would go nice with my car of the same name ;) - any thoughts on the Sher-wood composite 5030?

I heard that it was very close in feel to their 5030 wood, but much more durable.

robmneilson

Aug 27, 2009
www.robmneilson.com
Hey there Nystrom...

I actually have an S11 (right handed, Iginla pattern, 100 flex) that I never used laying around if you're interested for $50. Unfortunately though I probably will not be making it to the rink in LIC anytime soon.

I'm beginning to wish I did the clinic there instead of 4x4 tournament at World Ice due to travel time now.

MNWild9

Feb 16, 2010
Minot,ND
Well I have a Warrior Bentley I like it but two sticks I like a lot I got off http://www.thehockeyshop.com I called their store for a curtain stick and end up getting two CMM Otco Zone in a Tavares curve I got both of them with shipping for $80.00 US Dollars. I can't complain about the sticks they are very nice and have went through some hell

Maupin Fan

Hot Air
Sep 17, 2009
S11's are the sticks that I was referring to going soft. They really are pure garbage. I went through 3 in a month that became unusable from become so soft and noodle like so I gave them to a friend of mine's kid to use in road hockey.

I decided to quit being cheap about it and went to one95's and have never had that problem again or looked back.

I really don't think s11's are a good value at any price. I wouldn't spend 40 dollars on them.

robmneilson

Aug 27, 2009
www.robmneilson.com
S11's are the sticks that I was referring to going soft. They really are pure garbage. I went through 3 in a month that became unusable from become so soft and noodle like so I gave them to a friend of mine's kid to use in road hockey.

I decided to quit being cheap about it and went to one95's and have never had that problem again or looked back.

I really don't think s11's are a good value at any price. I wouldn't spend 40 dollars on them.

They aren't really that bad...I had one 85 flex that made it through a season before it exploded!

stick9

Aug 12, 2004
What you need to do is work on your form and technique. From the sounds of it, you're leaning too far into your shot. No stick is going to stand up to that. You'll likely break just as many composites....if not more.

Cheap composites aren't known for their increased durability. Go out and get yourself a bunch of cheap wood sticks for now. If you can find one an aluminium shaft with an inexpensive wood blade would be ideal.

MrKabukiman

Ne pas plonger!
Nov 12, 2007
Mass.
I would try an Easton S3 if you can find them anymore. They were cheaper and heavier than the S2 models. Probably a bit more durable as well.

nystromshairstylist

Dec 13, 2009
Was in my local sporting goods store today, and bought a CCM U+ on sale. Also saw and held a Bauer X:40, very nice stick.

Based upon the comments here, I will purchase and test out over the coming months:

- warrior bentley
- bauer x:40
- Easton s11
- sher-wood composite 5030

If I break any of these as I have my woodies, I will either join the MMA - since I must be superman - or work with one of my coaches privately to improve my technique...

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Was in my local sporting goods store today, and bought a CCM U+ on sale. Also saw and held a Bauer X:40, very nice stick.

Based upon the comments here, I will purchase and test out over the coming months:

- warrior bentley
- bauer x:40
- Easton s11
- sher-wood composite 5030

If I break any of these as I have my woodies, I will either join the MMA - since I must be superman - or work with one of my coaches privately to improve my technique...

I dunno why you would wanna test the 5030, it seems like a novelty stick to me, save the money

Hockeyfan68

Dec 24, 2006
Lewiston, ME USA
www.myspace.com

There is a reason to move away from wood, wood doesn't last.

This guy will love a composite as it pertains to lasting much much longer than wood from slapshots and blade damage.

I used wood for 35 years and spend way way less money now on composites since they last so long.

I also recommend not using ultra light expensive sticks and believe them to be junk that breaks more easily than the lesser priced composites.

One still needs a quality composite however as far as having feel. I hate seeing a new composite user using a cheapie composite since he isn't getting a good product to ween himself away from wood with.

The X40 is a decent stick for this guy i agree with you here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad