Proposal: 1st and/or Prospect to MN

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Certainly not a prospect like Boldy or Kaprizov, and honestly probably nothing if it were me, others may offer another late round pick, so nothing you'd call good enough

Fair enough. As is, Rangers will have enough protection issues on defense for the expansion draft without adding Brodin. A rebuilding team (which, despite assertions to the contrary, the Rangers still are), can ill afford to be giving up high picks for what now is a luxury.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Panarin's prime years.

Jackets already took most of those, but the Rangers are cashing in now on what's left. So I reiterate, what can you/Minnesota add to Brodin that trumps the value of a Top 10 pick in a deep draft. My guess is, a lot of hot air, and not much else.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
One player is not going to change the Ranger blue line.

They are not going to deal a high pick for Brodin, who will need a new contract at the end of next season.

Not sure how you can say that their "LHD prospects are still a couple years from being NHL playoff caliber" and at the same time say "Rangers are done with tanking" They were never tanking. They are (re)building.
Not sure where you are going with any of this.

I watch a lot of the Rangers and Wild. Brodin to Rangers is a low-hanging fruit, hockey trade. I

Brodin pushes down Skeji to 2nd pairing. M.Staal could come back in deal for salary reasons. Rangers LHD prospects, even Miller, need more work than anybody in the Rangers organization wants to admit externally.

Brodin for Rangers' 1st, Staal, and 1 D prospect.
Rangers also trade Kreider for late 1st.

Rangers are then a playoff caliber team with serious grow upside.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC

I watch a lot of the Rangers and Wild. Brodin to Rangers is a low-hanging fruit, hockey trade. I

Brodin pushes down Skeji to 2nd pairing. M.Staal could come back in deal for salary reasons. Rangers LHD prospects, even Miller, need more work than anybody in the Rangers organization wants to admit externally.

I'll make this clear: no.

Reactions: UnSandvich

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
I can't speak for Guerin or other Wild fans, but for me no. Unless that prospect is a can't-fail, top-6 center it makes very little sense to me to trade Dumba for futures. With Edmonton in particular a lot of their top prospects are defensemen, which would be of relatively little interest.

Okay that's fair. Edmonton does not have the center prospect you're looking for. Their best prospects are definitely d-men.

If the ask was RNH + 2021 1st (protected) I would expect Oiler fans to say that is way too much and want more than Dumba back. Also the Oilers are just a tad thin with top 6 forwards so dealing a center like RNH is a bitter pill to swallow.

For me acquiring Dumba makes Larsson available who could be dealt for a decent top 6 winger. Just my take though.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Okay that's fair. Edmonton does not have the center prospect you're looking for. Their best prospects are definitely d-men.

If the ask was RNH + 2021 1st (protected) I would expect Oiler fans to say that is way too much and want more than Dumba back. Also the Oilers are just a tad thin with top 6 forwards so dealing a center like RNH is a bitter pill to swallow.

For me acquiring Dumba makes Larsson available who could be dealt for a decent top 6 winger. Just my take though.
I don't think there's any reasonable deal around Dumba and RNH, either.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
To NYI - Staal

To MN - 2020 1st, and your choice of one of the following: Ho Sang, Dal Colle, Ishakov, or Aho.

NTC aside, that work for both sides?

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
To NYI - Staal

To MN - 2020 1st, and your choice of one of the following: Ho Sang, Dal Colle, Ishakov, or Aho.

NTC aside, that work for both sides?
Ignoring context, I think that's fair.

In reality I think it'd be hard for Guerin to trade Staal when our second best center under contract next year is Eriksson-Ek. It'd require either a leap of faith that he can somehow add a top-6 center over the summer, or a willingness to go into next season with Ek, Rask and Sturm as our top-3 centers.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
You realize Staal will never waive right?

“NTC aside”

You realize nothing discussed here on this board has any effect on what happens in reality? So it doesn’t hurt for people to discuss deals because the deals won’t actually happen.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
He's already 35. Figured he might want one more opportunity in the playoffs. But I don't know much about his willingness to waive, so if he'd rather tough it out in Minny, than you can forget my suggestion.

I think your initial proposal is probably more than fair value wise. Staal has a 10 team no trade list, so it’s not like he has a whole lot of choice if Guerin decides to move him. I think Guerin probably won’t trade him anywhere unless he agrees to it, though. And I think it’s all kind of a moot point unless we get two top 6 centers like, yesterday, because I’d imagine, even next year at this time, the team will probably still have playoff hopes, and we can’t afford to lose Staal if that’s the case.

Hockeyfan200

Jun 15, 2019
I think your initial proposal is probably more than fair value wise. Staal has a 10 team no trade list, so it’s not like he has a whole lot of choice if Guerin decides to move him. I think Guerin probably won’t trade him anywhere unless he agrees to it, though. And I think it’s all kind of a moot point unless we get two top 6 centers like, yesterday, because I’d imagine, even next year at this time, the team will probably still have playoff hopes, and we can’t afford to lose Staal if that’s the case.

He has full no trade! Not 10! This is why Russo mentioned it will never happen

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017

Switch the Rangers 1st to the 1st they get in a Kreider deal, and they probably accept, assuming the D prospect is neither Miller nor Lundkvist. Current proposal, they probably turn down.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad