Proposal: 1C to NYR

Do you want ants

Thats how u get ants
Jul 2, 2015
I’m not saying he’s even available, but if the Jets continue to struggle and decide to make a massive shakeup of team chemistry would, Mark Scheifele be of any interest? If so what would an offer look like?
What are your biggest needs?

Chytil+ 2 of (Kratsov/Jones/Nils/Othmann) and a 1st/2nd depending on the 2 prospects ?

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
1c's cost money. Rangers spent their money on Zibanejad for the 1c role. Rangers now need a future 2c.

1. we made our bed w/Zib; it was either that or deal him start of season at 5+ expiring for a boatload of futures, and for good or bad [prob good short term, bad long term], this is the path we took and are compelled to be on like glue.

2. We do not have $$$$ for a current 1C now and even in latest scenario of 2 seasons hence when we can move Trouba, we will need that $ for LaF/Kakko +.

3. So we basically ride what we have until Panarin is off the books, at which pt he prob stays for less.

4. We do have the option to trade youth, BUT ONLY FOR YOUTH.
For example, Matty Beniers was 2OA and he would cost really big IF Kraken was to even consider the idea.
But that is the only fit atm.
Assuming Krav +++ can be enuf to make SEA say yes w/o gutting too much of our youth, that is the kind of target we pursue. Soon to be signed to an elc, helps w/cap, some risk but potential high end return.
something like dat.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Who could be available, and what would it take?

NYR untouchables: Igor, Fox.
You’re the same guy who created a McDavid thread and had the audacity of listing NYR untouchables. Now this garbage. On behalf of every Rangers fan, please stop.

We have a 1C. We’ll also only have about 10M in cap space with a plethora of players that need to be re-signed or replaced. The Salary Cap is real.

Flan the incredible

Nov 8, 2014
If you listen to what the Rangers fans here say, there's no way they're going to resign Strome to term for 6 a season so they're either going to put a prospect, rooki, youngen in that position, trade for one (without giving up anything of note) or sign one better than Strome at a bargain rate...

Well if we listened to a lot of Ranger fans on this site they would have given up Kreider and Trouba for nothing this offseason and they have been great. I think some Ranger fans have accepted that Strome is going to be their guy moving forward as long as he doesn't price himself out of the market this offseason.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I’m not saying he’s even available, but if the Jets continue to struggle and decide to make a massive shakeup of team chemistry would, Mark Scheifele be of any interest? If so what would an offer look like?

In theory he otherwise might, notwithstanding that presumably he is being made available b'c he had an off year and Jets want to cut ties quickly rather than hang on to a potentially deteriorating asset -- which may or may not be the case, but which would drive price down.

However, it is moot, theory aside.
We do not have any cap room next yr and will not for upwards of 2 seasons unless/until Trouba moves a little early if at all.

Not only will we require all of Strome+Geo+Hajek+Nemeth + small + just only to cover Fox + Zib $, but we need $ for Laf/Kakko small bridges +

setting aside Jets current cap, let's say core pieces just to start a discussion
Lindgren + Strome
for
Schief

we would still have to deal somebody, probably an F, and no one, particularly w/any $, is available as our biggest stars have trade protection

Reactions: GreatSaveEssensa

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
In theory he otherwise might, notwithstanding that presumably he is being made available b'c he had an off year and Jets want to cut ties quickly rather than hang on to a potentially deteriorating asset -- which may or may not be the case, but which would drive price down.

However, it is moot, theory aside.
We do not have any cap room next yr and will not for upwards of 2 seasons unless/until Trouba moves a little early if at all.

Not only will we require all of Strome+Geo+Hajek+Nemeth + small + just only to cover Fox + Zib $, but we need $ for Laf/Kakko small bridges +

setting aside Jets current cap, let's say core pieces just to start a discussion
Lindgren + Strome
for
Schief

we would still have to deal somebody, probably an F, and no one, particularly w/any $, is available as our biggest stars have trade protection
If the jets trade Scheifele those two aren’t the core pieces being returned

GreatSaveEssensa

The Dark Side Of The Goon
Feb 16, 2016
Manitoba
If the jets trade Scheifele those two aren’t the core pieces being returned
Yup not even close tbh. I’m a huge Scheif fan and am not advocating for him to be traded (although I would for the right price) , but I figured it could make for some good discussion. He would really look good as a Ranger though!

Reactions: Mrfenn92

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
If you listen to what the Rangers fans here say, there's no way they're going to resign Strome to term for 6 a season so they're either going to put a prospect, rooki, youngen in that position, trade for one (without giving up anything of note) or sign one better than Strome at a bargain rate...

The Rangers have a massive cap crunch the next two seasons (next year especially). All of our current cap space (and then some) is getting taken up by Zib's and Fox's new contracts. Even with cutting corners (moving Nemeth for nothing, replacing Georgiev with a league minimum backup goalie, etc), there's barely enough left to round out the lineup and re-sign Kakko. The only way--financially--for Strome to return would be for him to take a large pay cut (when he's earned a pretty decent raise), or to convince either Kreider or Trouba to waive their NMCs. They will be skating a razor's edge on the salary cap for the next two years (I'm pretty concerned about the summer after this coming one, as I could see Montreal making an offer-sheet play for Laf, and there might not be much that we could do about it).

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
Don't be too concerned @smoneil, every year there's teams with cap crunches and most of them get out of it in painless fashion (there's always Arizona to take on some salary).

We'll see. Most of our high salary players are key contributors and I think ALL of them have NMCs (Panarin, Trouba, Zib, Kreider, Fox). After that, we don't really have any large contracts. Most of the rest of the team is on ELC or bargain contracts. I suppose Goodrow could be moved, but I'm not sure how far that would move the needle.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
The Rangers have a massive cap crunch the next two seasons (next year especially). All of our current cap space (and then some) is getting taken up by Zib's and Fox's new contracts. Even with cutting corners (moving Nemeth for nothing, replacing Georgiev with a league minimum backup goalie, etc), there's barely enough left to round out the lineup and re-sign Kakko. The only way--financially--for Strome to return would be for him to take a large pay cut (when he's earned a pretty decent raise), or to convince either Kreider or Trouba to waive their NMCs. They will be skating a razor's edge on the salary cap for the next two years (I'm pretty concerned about the summer after this coming one, as I could see Montreal making an offer-sheet play for Laf, and there might not be much that we could do about it).

would rather have Kreider/Trouba over Strome, hoping to move Strome now and Trouba sooner than later for decent returns, not expecting top $.

As I said every nickel of Strome committed to Fox + Zib
Strome returning at any #, or an alternate in lieu of Strome, is an instant cap problem

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011

Interesting question. I highly doubt Chevy would trade Mark at this stage, maybe in his final year as a UFA. But at this stage of his career he’s a PPG 1C on one of the best contracts in the NHL.

Obviously we have no interest in a UFA like you were offered in the one post, that’s a non starter. But what do the Jets even want as a return is a good question. Jets have decent depth and top six is great. No 1D but solid depth on D without any stars which isn’t a bad thing by any means IMO. Asking for a roster player back who has the same impact as Mark for his cap hit would be hard to find TBH and/or very risky. Do we sign Copp as our 2C (PLD signed as our 1C) and ask for a kings random (subject term open to opinion) in futures? Interesting options, not specific to the Rangers just in general. But again likely moot subject management by all accounts love Mark and he’s on such a good contract when cap hit is critical that he likely won’t be traded.

Reactions: bernmeister

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Rangers made their bed with the awful decision to extend Zibanejad.
Yea, cause there’s a ton of PPG centers out there that cost only cap space....especially ones that have proven they can produce on the MSG ice....

the reality is most teams are going to have serious cap issues very soon.
The owners and the league are going to have to raise the cap sooner rather then later. I give it 2 years max before we see a substantial increase.

covid has stopped salaries from being increase very much. Especially on top end talent. Somethings got to give....
They can’t shelter cheap owners ARI/OTT etc forever.
Unless they want another lockout, their going to see a league with virtually no player movement that will have a huge impact on Free agency.
I personally don’t think the nhl can survive another lock out tbh.
Compliance buyouts may also become a thing again. Who knows what the hell their thinking.
But you can bet your bottom dollar the bean counters are telling the owners a stagnant flat cap won’t be sustainable for 4-5 years.

Last edited:

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Yea, cause there’s a ton of PPG centers out there that cost only cap space....especially ones that have proven they can produce on the MSG ice....

the reality is most teams are going to have serious cap issues very soon.
The owners and the league are going to have to raise the cap sooner rather then later. I give it 2 years max before we see a substantial increase.

covid has stopped salaries from being increase very much. Especially on top end talent. Somethings got to give....
They can’t shelter cheap owners ARI/OTT etc forever
8.5m for 8 years to an average 1c who will be 37 when the contract ends. When they could have traded him and used those assets in addition to some of the assets they already have and acquired Eichel.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
8.5m for 8 years to an average 1c who will be 37 when the contract ends. When they could have traded him and used those assets in addition to some of the assets they already have and acquired Eichel.
He had a NMC in the final season.
No ones under the illusion he’ll be playing at a high level until he’s 37.
If NYR can get solid productive years out of him til he’s 35 that’s a win.
At that time he’ll be moved or bought out like so many before him.
They only other potential real other option would have been to overpay for a broken Eichel. It would have cost NYR more assets because the Sabres obviously wanted him out west.
On top of that they lose Zibby for nothing in the process.
If you know of any other realistic options for upgrading on a PPG Center whose be in the top 5 goal scoring wise the last 3 season at the position, please enlighten us....

Last edited:

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
The Rangers, with their coming cap crunch ( I do not think Strome is an option moving fwd regardless) need a younger cost controlled 2C with a two way game. They certainly have pieces to get one. They will also load up to get more rental assets at the TDL (consider that they currently have $31,393,185 in cap space to spend at the deadline, and NO, the bonus cushion will not be realized) to dip their feet this year as well. They cannot help themselves, hopefully they do not do too many dumb short term mistakes selling off good assets for rentals. Drury is going to provide for a wild ride. For sure. Hopefully they do not have a mediocre 2nd half while the Fishstix go on a tear, it could happen… Watch and see…

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad