Proposal: 1C for Coyotes

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Strome right now is closer to a bust than he is ever scoring 60 points in the NHL in any position. 7th OA in a weak draft does nothing.

All this does is makes the Leafs hope one of those assets turns into a player with 70+ point upside after spending a few years developing one who is only 21 next year.

This is shiny toy syndrome and possibly the worst proposal I have ever witnessed on this board.

The guy just turned 20 and is a bust already?
19GP 12G 27pts in playoffs for Otters just now.

The proposal was bad but Strome is far from a bust.

FinnishCoyote

Jan 3, 2017

Everyone is overreacting at Strome, maybe it is because 1st, 2nd and 4th picks at same draft is already storming in NHL

Jacksover9s

Apr 14, 2015
Unless I'm wrong, Keller can't play in the AHL - he'll only be 19 this July. And he's already given up his NCAA eligibility by playing with Arizona this season. Looks like he has to be a full-time member of the Coyotes next year.

Only applies to players drafted out of the CHL. Keller was taken out of the USNDT. That's also why Fischer was allowed to play in the AHL this year. He wasn't drafted out of the CHL, so even though he played a year in Canada, he was allowed to play in the AHL this year at 19

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
Would Arizona want RNH? I think Tippett would really like his game.

Would Coyotes fans be OK with sending 2 of Duclair/Rieder/DeAngelo/Crouse/7th overall for him? Oilers could add a prospect or their lower 1st depending on the return.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
People really need to quit calling prospects a bust a year or two after they've been drafted. The frequency at which it happens here is astounding and baffling. Like half of you think kids that don't have a McDavid or Matthews effect in their first year are write off or something. Good Lord.

cobra427

May 6, 2012

Would Coyotes fans be OK with sending 2 of Duclair/Rieder/DeAngelo/Crouse/7th overall for him? Oilers could add a prospect or their lower 1st depending on the return.

RNH would be a good addition for sure. The problem is his salary. The Coyotes are sending cost controlled assets for an over paid player. If the Oilers retain, something could be worked out.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ

Agreed, he's a Tippett-style player...but the ask is far too much. Something like Perlini and AZ 2nd (35th OA) maybe.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
RNH would be a good addition for sure. The problem is his salary. The Coyotes are sending cost controlled assets for an over paid player. If the Oilers retain, something could be worked out.

You guys have lots of cap space at present, but I understand the hesitation with guys coming off ELC's in the coming years who will need to get paid.

RNH is overpaid in his current role with the Oilers, but in the right situation he would be worth his cap hit. He needs top unit PP to be worth his hit and that just isn't going to happen in EDM with McDavid and Drai. His points per 60 has historically been in the top 10 amongst forwards on the PP, at least before we were lucky enough to get McDavid.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
What about something like Rieder, DeAngelo, 3rd for RNH and our 1st (22-30 overall)?
Personally, Rieder is out for me (can't speak for Chayka :laugh:) as he's AZ's best 2-way forward. The thought of DeAngelo on that Edm PP is frightening.

You've done your homework and asking for the right guys. I'd prefer Perlini and choice of Minn 1st (22nd OA)/MacInnis/Merkley

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
This is shiny toy syndrome and possibly the worst proposal I have ever witnessed on this board.

Hardly the worst proposal and you know it. There are worse proposals in this thread alone. A few gems I quickly found from an earlier OEL for Matthews thread (sorry, I dont know how to use the multi post thing):

"Arizona could offer the entire franchise and the leafs would pass"

OR Matthews for OEL + Strome + Chychrun + Duclair + 1st

OR OEL, Keller, Domi, Strome for Matthews, Polak and a 2nd

And there are worse proposals offered almost daily on HB than Nylander for Strome and the 7th overall. I get it does not make sense for a young team like TO to trade a sure thing 21 year old for high end prospects. But it is not a terrible value.

Last edited:

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX

RNH isn't having a great playoffs and is overpaid to most teams. So the market for him is pretty narrow, I imagine. I'd be happy to trade you Minny's 1st, Rieder, and something else that isn't a core kid like Merkley or Capiobianco.

The Coyotes are not in any position to offer prime assets for stuff until our own young players start taking steps forward. It's a year early to be horse trading around. But if you have a useful roster player and aren't asking for prime assets, I'm sure we can agree on something.

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
I think RNH is a great target for Arizona.

RNH can sub in for the 1st line center this year, play a two-way game, and put up points. More importantly, he can relate with the high draft picks can teach them. As the prospects develop he can slide from #1 center down the line-up.

His salary and term fit in with the team as well going forward.

For a proposal:

RNH
Joey Laleggia

For

Deangelo
Martinook
Richardson
Brendan Warren

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
take ryan spooner... can have him very cheap almost free if you take matt belesky too

helps you meet cap floor

i think spooner would love top line mins playing with skilled wingers and qb pp. i bet hed put up 65 points or more. just might be a minus 35 too

gives your kids some opportunity to develop. im surr strome knocks spooner down to 3rd line by next year... spooner cant be a top 6 player on a good team... but stop gap 1 year... hes an option.

and id personally give him to you for like a 5th round pick if you take belesky too

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Strome right now is closer to a bust than he is ever scoring 60 points in the NHL in any position. 7th OA in a weak draft does nothing.

All this does is makes the Leafs hope one of those assets turns into a player with 70+ point upside after spending a few years developing one who is only 21 next year.

A bit dramatic no? there is a thread asking nylander + 2nd rd for 3OA this year. you think that is better than the 3OA pick in a much stronger draft and 7OA in the same draft? need i remind you the guy at 3 has been only regarded as a better prospect than the guy likely taken at 7 for a month or so?

exactly a year ago the suggestion of Nylander for Strome + Liljegren would have gotten laughed at and leafs fans would have been bashed for overrating their prospects.

also its beyond silly to say strome is closer to a bust than 60 pt player.
he will be the same age willie was next season, so maybe a bit hasty to be throwing around the bust label on a kid that just had 75pts in 35 games in the ohl?

Last edited:

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Hardly the worst proposal and you know it. There are worse proposals in this thread alone. A few gems I quickly found from an earlier OEL for Matthews thread (sorry, I dont know how to use the multi post thing):

"Arizona could offer the entire franchise and the leafs would pass"

OR Matthews for OEL + Strome + Chychrun + Duclair + 1st

OR OEL, Keller, Domi, Strome for Matthews, Polak and a 2nd

And there are worse proposals offered almost daily on HB than Nylander for Strome and the 7th overall. I get it does not make sense for a young team like TO to trade a sure thing 21 year old for high end prospects. But it is not a terrible value.

in the jets-leafs thread the other day a jets fan said Matthews+Rielly gets the conversation started for Trouba, then called trouba a top 10 dman

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
in the jets-leafs thread the other day a jets fan said Matthews+Rielly gets the conversation started for Trouba, then called trouba a top 10 dman
Exactly. There are really bad/dumb proposals all the time.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010

He's far from a bust, but that's a bad stat line for a player with his pedigree, drafted in his spot, playing his D+2 season in the OHL on an insane Erie team. He really should be over 2 PPG, without a doubt.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
He's far from a bust, but that's a bad stat line for a player with his pedigree, drafted in his spot, playing his D+2 season in the OHL on an insane Erie team. He really should be over 2 PPG, without a doubt.

75 pts in 35 games in the regular season

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad