Proposal: 1C for Coyotes

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
I'll probably get roasted for this from leafs fans.

Nylander
for
Strome + 7OA

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
What happen to Strome ? Remember people saying they would take him over Draisaitl

you mean when strome was just picked 3OA and draisaitl had a disaster of a rookie season?

I remember oilers fans offering up draisaitl for the leafs pick 4OA in that draft so they could take Hanifin.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
As AZ fan i would instantly take this, i would add 2nd rounder too.

But i guess Leafs fans don't do this

Im higher on Strome than most leafs fans are, and also I think pick 7OA could get us the top 4 RHD we desperately need (Liljegren/Makar)

if you are gonna add in a 2nd as well i do that easily lol

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Duchene is probably your best option/most available option.

I'd be good with Chychurn+7th overall for Duchene.

I'm sure you would be. Not trading a top 10 pick and a player that should have gone top 10 for two years of Duchene. The Avs can hold out all they want for a primo prospect but it will likely be a pile of good value for Duchene if it happens.

As an AZ fan i would instantly take this, i would add 2nd rounder too.

But i guess Leafs fans won't do this

No thanks. You could be smoked on that trade in five months. That's a ton of value to give up.

Kuz

May 11, 2015
I'm an outside fan, but it seems that if they do that they're going to have a problem similar to what the Leafs had this year that caused Greening, Michalek, and Laich to all be in the minors.

Domi - Strome - Duclair
Perlini - Dvorak - Doan
McGinn - Keller - Fischer
Crouse - Martinook - Rieder

This doesn't include Dauphin, Merkley, Garland, and whoever they pick at 7th. Seems like they just need to let the kids develop.

Yeah the young guys need to play. Will be exciting to see how Strome plays in the NHL next year. Hes been so dominant this year(Like he should be). I wouldnt be surprised if he hit 50 points in his rookie season. Thats a number thats reasonable for Dvorak next year also. 33 in his first season and with the right development 50 looks like a possible number. Then you have also have Keller thats 3 young guys that you wont to give ice time. Like another guy mentioned getting Hanzal back to take some of the tougher minutes would probably be a good move.

Arizona is probably still a couple of years away from beeing a contender, but Domi, Perlini, Crouse, Duclair and Merkley together with those 3 mentioned above might be one of the best offences in a couple of years. Need to resign OEL, Then you also have Chycrun and De Angelo to build around in defence.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Tippett may think he does, but the Coyotes don't if Strome pans out. We're rebuilding and have centers in the prospect pipeline.

I don't get to watch much junior hockey but my impression is that he's going to take more work than I thought he might. I still consider his ceiling to be 1C but it might be a few more years before he gets there. In other words, a more normal development path. We're spoiled by having seen elite rookies make an immediate impact lately, but I just remind myself that's the exception to the general rule.

Given the above^...

Stepan for Strome. Straight up.
A 3OA should be more than a solid 20th best C, esp if you take into account contract, age, amount of wear and tear, etc.

consistency of Stepan NOW vs Strome potential LATER
NY enjoys cap dif on Step's 6.5 v. Strome's ELC

I would say given the cap savings to Rangers, it is almost solid as a 1:1
Putting shoe on the other foot, I would want conditional 2nd round pick in 2020 from NY to AZ; if Strome is 'a bust' - however you statistically define that, Rangers are off the hook. If Strome is all that and a bag of chips, NY sends a future 2nd

something like that
I am optimistic an even better deal can be had w/Montreal, if so competitive bidding is a factor to be considered if AZ does want Stepan

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Duchene for Chychrun+?

Really the only deal i can see.. but even then COL likely has better offers

Duchene might be better on good team. Playing for poor team, he isn't worth his 6m. To think he would make much difference in Arizona, I can't see it.

If Arizona wanted to spend so much money difference between Duchene and Chychrun, they should sign a player (maybe not as good as Duchene) and keep Chychrun.

Duchene has to go to a team "in a win now mode". He only two year left on his contract. And likely similar money would have to go back to the Avs to make such a trade possible.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
I'll probably get roasted for this from leafs fans.

Nylander
for
Strome + 7OA

Strome right now is closer to a bust than he is ever scoring 60 points in the NHL in any position. 7th OA in a weak draft does nothing.

All this does is makes the Leafs hope one of those assets turns into a player with 70+ point upside after spending a few years developing one who is only 21 next year.

This is shiny toy syndrome and possibly the worst proposal I have ever witnessed on this board.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
Yotes should be putting a number of youngsters in the AHL and letting them develop. Not just letting play in the NHL as a reward for being drafted to a bad team well getting used to losing.

Crouse averaged less than 12 minutes a night in the NHL last year. Definitely put him in the AHL to develop.

Strome & Keller should dominant the AHL before playing in the NHL. Unless they outright win a spot in camp then start them in the AHL.

For C's, Ryan Spooner is a guy who wouldn't cost much to acquire who'd be a nice stop gap and also has the potential to be a long term piece. If the Yotes agreed to take on Jimmy Hayes as a cap dump they might even get him without sending anything back.

rosco25

Jan 30, 2015
Don't quit your day jobs. A lot of terrible offers here. Can't see the coyotes getting rid of chychrun, Keller, strome and definitely not Ekman larsson. I believe 7th overall and 22nd overall are in play for the right player

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Yotes should be putting a number of youngsters in the AHL and letting them develop. Not just letting play in the NHL as a reward for being drafted to a bad team well getting used to losing.

Crouse averaged less than 12 minutes a night in the NHL last year. Definitely put him in the AHL to develop.

Strome & Keller should dominant the AHL before playing in the NHL. Unless they outright win a spot in camp then start them in the AHL.

For C's, Ryan Spooner is a guy who wouldn't cost much to acquire who'd be a nice stop gap and also has the potential to be a long term piece. If the Yotes agreed to take on Jimmy Hayes as a cap dump they might even get him without sending anything back.

You're not going to get a lot of pushback from Yotes fans on how the kids should be used over the next couple seasons.

As for Spooner, I don't see his game translating well in the Pacific under Tippett and he's weak defensively and in the dot. He'll be cheap, sure, but we'd prefer a center who can shoulder some of the defensive heavy lifting away from Dvorak.

The Best Leafs Ever

Feb 28, 2017
Lol, if Nylander is going on to Coyotes the only player I would like to see coming back is Ekman-Larsson. If that player isn't on the block Nylander isn't going to Coyotes even if they throw Strome+7th +2018 1st.

FlappyGiraffe

Go Jets Go
Sponsor
Jul 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Strome right now is closer to a bust than he is ever scoring 60 points in the NHL in any position. 7th OA in a weak draft does nothing.

All this does is makes the Leafs hope one of those assets turns into a player with 70+ point upside after spending a few years developing one who is only 21 next year.

This is shiny toy syndrome and possibly the worst proposal I have ever witnessed on this board.

Mark Scheifele was a #7 pick in a weak draft...

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com
It will also allow Crouse, Strome and Keller a full season to show us what they've got in the AHL.

That way if we draft Makar, and DeAngelo and Chychrun take big steps forward and Wood continues to put up huge AHL numbers, but Keller gets pushed around in the AHL and Strome still looks slow; it's probably time to throw some huge assets at a young NHL center.

Similarly, if we draft Necas and Dvorak puts up 50pts and Duclair rebounds, and Keller and Strome have tremendous rookie seasons in the AHL while DeAngelo continues to struggle with discipline, and Chychrun's progress stalls; then we know for sure it's definitely time to trade a huge pile of stuff for a future D partner for OEL.

Unless I'm wrong, Keller can't play in the AHL - he'll only be 19 this July. And he's already given up his NCAA eligibility by playing with Arizona this season. Looks like he has to be a full-time member of the Coyotes next year.

As for the OP, I wonder if Plekanec would be available from MTL if Vegas doesn't take him. Seems like he'd be a good one-year stop gap while the younger players develop, and could always re-sign if he enjoys his time in the desert.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad