Blue Jays Discussion: 1B Chris Colabello tests positive for PEDs; Suspended 80 games by MLB

Status
Not open for further replies.

metafour

Apr 6, 2008
@JonHeyman: jays higherups are concerned about tulo (.167) and martin (.149, 32 K's in 67 AB), their 2 best-paid players

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Have you seen the World Series champions Royals record??? How about Anahiem?? How about the Astros??? Or the Cardinals??Or the Dodgers???

All teams along with the Jays that are under performing. Its the first month of the season. Players and teams figure it out over a 162 game schedule. If this is the worst this team plays all season I am ok with it. But there will be 10 game winning streak in the not to distant future and we will be atop the East. This team is built too good to endure a .500 season.

I believe you've failed to comprehend what my post was attempting to convey.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
@JonHeyman: jays higherups are concerned about tulo (.167) and martin (.149, 32 K's in 67 AB), their 2 best-paid players

I find Goins the most painful.
He looks lost.

Title change please: 1B Chris Colabello tests positive for PEDs; Suspended 80 games by MLB (it's old news).

How about: Blue Jays' relief corps is 0-9 so far in 2016, becoming the fifth bullpen in the last 100 years to start at that mark

===========-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Few bullpens in the last century have been as bad as the Toronto Blue Jays' to start a season.

The Blue Jays' relief corps is 0-9 so far in 2016, becoming the fifth bullpen in the last 100 years to start at that mark, according to MLB Network's Jon Morosi. None of those teams made the playoffs.

Of course, a lot of this falls on the shoulders of Brett Cecil, who is 0-5. But aside from a couple of arms, there's a large divide between the top relief pitchers on the team, and the worst ones.

http://www.thescore.com/mlb/news/1000931

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
there's a universe of difference between the struggles of a player with an 8wrc+ like Martin, and a 69wrc+ like Tulo.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Title change please: 1B Chris Colabello tests positive for PEDs; Suspended 80 games by MLB (it's old news).

How about: Blue Jays' relief corps is 0-9 so far in 2016, becoming the fifth bullpen in the last 100 years to start at that mark

How about: Blue Jays' relief corps was 0-9 in 2016, then they got a win.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Tulo's sporting a K% not seen in any of his past seasons. Ever. Not even in the minors. He has to stabilize at some point. At very least the power and patience is there. I'll take it. We've got upwards of 4 Adam Dunns right now. :laugh:

TF97

Jul 4, 2010
Halifax, NS
Wins and losses are a team stat and should not be used to evaluate an individual player or a group of players (in this case, the bullpen)

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Wins and losses are a team stat and should not be used to evaluate an individual player or a group of players (in this case, the bullpen)

Exactly. The bullpen has come into a lot of tight games, and when the offense isn't coming through in those situations, the bullpen is likely to get the loss. It's unfortunate that they haven't been able to shut opponents down as often as we would like to see, but the rest of the numbers (the ones that reflect their actual abilities) suggest they've been pretty much average so far this year.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Tulo's sporting a K% not seen in any of his past seasons. Ever. Not even in the minors. He has to stabilize at some point. At very least the power and patience is there. I'll take it. We've got upwards of 4 Adam Dunns right now. :laugh:

Power is 40 points below his average. Only has one double and five home runs through 112 plate appearances. Contact rate has dropped significantly (it was trending down to begin with) and he's now refusing to swing more than before to compensate for his lack of timing and ability to read pitches (generating more walks and strikeouts).

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Power is 40 points below his average. Only has one double and five home runs through 112 plate appearances. Contact rate has dropped significantly (it was trending down to begin with) and he's now refusing to swing more than before to compensate for his lack of timing and ability to read pitches (generating more walks and strikeouts).

Good context. Not saying his power is where it should be, but atleast there's something there for him to build off of in what's been a miserable start.

LaCarriere

Yea, the bullpen has been bad but you don't judge a relief corps by win/loss record.

Exactly. The bullpen has come into a lot of tight games, and when the offense isn't coming through in those situations, the bullpen is likely to get the loss. It's unfortunate that they haven't been able to shut opponents down as often as we would like to see, but the rest of the numbers (the ones that reflect their actual abilities) suggest they've been pretty much average so far this year.

The bullpen is supposed to come in, in a lot of tight games.

Win/loss is a bit more of an individual stat for a pen than it is a starting pitcher, as long as you keep it in context and look at supporting stats, and the why's. It's the same idea that BABIP now automatically = luck, it's not always the case.

As a whole, Cecil has largely been the cause of the pen's terrible win/loss record though (Storen hasn't helped, and Floyed has 2 unfavourable losses). Look at situations Cecil has blown, and the situations he's entered games (info all readily available on BR) -- these were NOT situations you expect the bullpen to fall short. Cecil entered the following games and blew the lead or didn't hold;

April 5 - bottom 8, no runners, 0 out ahead by 1 / exited bottom 8, 1 out down by 1
April 8 - top 7, runners on 1st and 2nd, 1 out, ahead by 1 / exited top 7, 3 out, down by 1
April 12 - top 7, no runners, 9 out, tie / exited top 7, runners on 2nd and 3rd, 2 out down by 1
April 21 - bottom 7, bases loaded 1 out, ahead by 1 / exited bottom 8, end, down 1
Apr 25 - bottom 9 (start of inning - tie) / exited end of 9 loss by 1

I mean, April 5, 12 and 25 were times when Cecil entered a game with a clean inning and flat out couldn't get 3 outs without giving up the lead, in a 1 month span. April 8th and 21st you could make an argument he inherited a ****** situation, but a ground ball double play in either situation would have arguably changed the outcome of the game.

Yeah the offense hasn't done the pen too many favours late in the game, but it's not like the bullpen deserves a winning, or even .500 record at this point either.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
No, I am relaxed. I am just befuddled at what's going on with those 2 specifically. Their track record suggests they should be better than this.

And because of their track record. they will get better, have patience they still have 135 games top play.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
I like Biagini's interview.

It was the complete opposite of the usual sports clichés, although some of his attempts at humour were completely over-the-top and fell very flat. Despite that, it was the most insightful interview he had to offer and I think gave a pretty good indication of what he's thinking about.

I did think the "scent of the bat" comment was funny.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
And because of their track record. they will get better, have patience they still have 135 games top play.

That's not necessarily true. Sometimes good players have bad seasons. Sometimes they see sharp declines in performance and never bounce back.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
I might add, I'm rather glad the Blue Jays management declined to wrap up David Price, José Bautista and Edwin Encarnacion to big long-term contracts last off-season.

If they had done that, we might have been suffering from a bad case of buyer's remorse about now.

metafour

Apr 6, 2008

Some of you need to realize that players like Bautista who remain elite hitters until their mid 30's (and potentially beyond) are a rarity, not the norm. Tulowitzki has been showing some systemic signs of decline for 2-3 years now (contact rate, whiff rate, etc). He's also turning 32 this year and has a laundry list of past injuries which easily could have caught up to him. Is he likely to continue being as bad as he's been? Probably not, but that doesn't mean that its "all good".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad