1994 -- How did Detroit Lose to San Jose?

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
I'm asking this because while I recall the '93 Wings/Leafs series somewhat, and I also recall (though I wasn't very interested) the '95 Wings/Devils Final, I have basically no memory of this whatsoever. Maybe it wasn't broadcast in western Canada, so I missed it...? Or I blanked it out? Anyway, I was looking at the series summary here:
1994 NHL Stanley Cup Western Conference Quarter-Finals: DET vs. SJS | Hockey-Reference.com

and it's interesting that the Wings scored 27 goals in the series, yet lost (this was Bowman's first year behind their bench). Yzerman dressed for only 3 games, which may have been a factor. For the Sharks, it appears that Sergei Makarov, then getting a bit longer in the tooth, did rather well, with 6 goals in the series, while even better was the professor (and future Red Wing) Larionov, with 10 points!

But what jumps out at me is that almost all the San Jose players were minuses in the series. Even given the Detroit blow-out in game six, it's all a bit odd. The Detroit team, in total, was +34 and San Jose -37 in the same series, yet San Jose won. It would appear Scotty was winning the five-on-five match-ups but losing the special teams...? I dunno, though, because the Sharks scored only one more PP goal than Detroit in the series. And Osgood had a better save-percentage than Irbe.

The Sharks were a sub.500 team that season and, as I recall, only made it into the playoffs because L.A. crapped the bed with a hugely awful year.

How did the Sharks do it?

(Another thing: Unless Hockey Ref. is wrong, it appears that this was one of those 2-3-2 series, with the three games in San Jose being all sandwiched in the middle of the series.)

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Henkka, thanks for those! (I didn't know those clips were available.)

Looking at those highlights, it does seem Irbe was a major factor (despite game six), and also Fedorov seemed unable to score but for that lucky one (also in game six).

Maybe if Yzerman was there for the whole series, the Wings win it... but boy that winning goal in game seven was nasty.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I think it's kind of simple. San Jose played a bit above its regular level, Detroit played below its regular level and in the close games things tended to go San Jose's way. Specifically, Makarov and Larionov were great, Yzerman missed most of the series, goaltending for Detroit wasn't good. Fedorov was probably Detroit's best player but he wasn't nearly as good as he had been in the regular season and unlike the case for most of his career proved disappointing. Sometimes upsets happen and it's usually a similar pattern.

streitz

Jul 22, 2018
I'm aware of the series but didn't watch it for the same reasons you didn't.

Looking at the wings roster I'm sure they would have won if Yzerman was healthy.

Big Keith Primeau, 73 points, 2 points 0 goals in the playoffs.
Ray Sheppard scored 50 goals? Wasn't he the guy who killed the rat in Florida? lol

Yeah no idea how the wings lost that, even without Yzerman for half the games they should of smoked them.

Last edited:

SealsFan

May 3, 2009
Those light turquoise (or whatever color it is) away jerseys are awesome. Perhaps it's some nostalgia involved, but I like unusual colors

As has so often happened since the 1967 expansion onward, no matter how many jersey/uniform changes a team makes, they rarely ever look as good as their original design. Most teams get it right the first time and the changes just become annoying and frustrating....all in my geeky opinion of course...

oh yeah, the thread topic... that was an exciting series as I followed the Sharks in their early years because I like bad expansion teams and a team in San Jose gave somewhat of a link to the Seals...but as to why they won ? I dunno,, karma?

Last edited:

Asheville

Feb 1, 2018
Osgood was 21 years old. He was forced into the starting role after the collection of stooges that was Essensa, Ing, Riendeau and Cheveldae couldn't hack it. Yzerman, Sheppard, Fedorov and Primeau combined for 4 goals. There's your problem. Blaming Osgood is idiotic and has always been a crutch for spoiled Wings fans who casually forget those who came before Chris in the 80s. Oh, and how'd that wunderkind Jimmy Howard pan out?

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
Osgood was 21 years old. He was forced into the starting role after the collection of stooges that was Essensa, Ing, Riendeau and Cheveldae couldn't hack it. Yzerman, Sheppard, Fedorov and Primeau combined for 4 goals. There's your problem. Blaming Osgood is idiotic and has always been a crutch for spoiled Wings fans who casually forget those who came before Chris in the 80s. Oh, and how'd that wunderkind Jimmy Howard pan out?
This doesn't seem necessary. Sometimes young goalies have a rough ride in the playoffs, and pointing that out isn't "idiotic".

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org

I'm confused as to how the fact that Detroit has had other goaltending challenges over recent history absolves people from accurately pointing out that Osgood struggled in the 1994 series against San Jose. Peter Ing? Ing was acquired for a seventh rounder, so if you're suggesting that Osgood only stepped in because the Wings' chosen savior, Peter Freaking Ing, couldn't handle the load, you're way off base.

Jimmy Howard? You're all over the place. If you can't talk about Osgood in 1994 because of Jimmy Howard, then you really can't talk about much on these boards at all.

Osgood was fine at JLA, for what it's worth - he struggled on the road in that series.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sentinel

overg

Dec 15, 2003
Indianapolis, IN
Visit site
The series was similar in a lot of ways to the '92 loss against the Leafs. The Wings trounced the Sharks in the games which were run and gun, but were unprepared to win the games which were tight.

This was pretty much what did the Wings in from '92 through '96. It was not until '97 that they ever looked comfortable when playoff games and series got tight.

Reactions: Sentinel

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
In this era, I began to envy teams like Detroit, with money to burn and US dollars to pay with. They lost to Toronto? Let's bring in Scotty Bowman! Lost to San Jose? Let's get Larionov!

This kind of thing wasn't an option for Edmonton, which lost five of Hall of Famers and their head coach in the summer of 1991 alone.

Asheville

Feb 1, 2018
This doesn't seem necessary. Sometimes young goalies have a rough ride in the playoffs, and pointing that out isn't "idiotic".

41 pro games under his belt to that point. And 21 years old.

Based on that, what were you or anyone else expecting from him?

Rough ride? He hadn't logged 50 AHL games. He shouldn't have been in goal to begin with.....yet it's held against him.

Frankly, he acquitted himself nicely compared to Primeau, Yzerman, Fedorov and Sheppard.

Asheville

Feb 1, 2018
I'm confused as to how the fact that Detroit has had other goaltending challenges over recent history absolves people from accurately pointing out that Osgood struggled in the 1994 series against San Jose. Peter Ing? Ing was acquired for a seventh rounder, so if you're suggesting that Osgood only stepped in because the Wings' chosen savior, Peter Freaking Ing, couldn't handle the load, you're way off base.

Jimmy Howard? You're all over the place. If you can't talk about Osgood in 1994 because of Jimmy Howard, then you really can't talk about much on these boards at all.

Osgood was fine at JLA, for what it's worth - he struggled on the road in that series.

Talk less about my opinions and more about the paltry 4 goals between Primeau, Yzerman, Fedorov and Sheppard in 7 games.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Mid 90s Wings only went so far Fedorov was able to score them.

Those light turquoise (or whatever color it is) away jerseys are awesome. Perhaps it's some nostalgia involved, but I like unusual colors like purple (Kings) and perhaps even brown....

Purple kings jerseys were awesome but then again I loved the yellow home V Jersey that Smyl, Gradin and King Richard were.

streitz

Jul 22, 2018
Talk less about my opinions and more about the paltry 4 goals between Primeau, Yzerman, Fedorov and Sheppard in 7 games.

Yzerman had 4 points in 3 games, Feds 8 points in 7 games. Weird players to fault, lol.

streitz

Jul 22, 2018
Mid 90s Wings only went so far Fedorov was able to score them.

Feds only lead the wings in playoffs goals scored once in the mid 90's(98), and twice in the regular season (93-94 and 95-96).

Please explain what you mean here? Because many of us don't like these lies.

goeb

Oct 24, 2013
Grand Rapids, Michigan
It is a puzzling upset as Sharks were a few years removed from their inaugural season.

Sharks definitely showed they came to play in round one their first few playoff appearances as they were a goal away from eliminating the Leafs in round 2 and then took out the #2 seeded Flames in the '95 playoffs.

Red Wings got their revenge in the '95 playoffs, and from what I recall watching on classic Series, the Red Wings pulverized the Sharks in 4 games. I just looked it up and they outscored them 24-6 over 4 games. Probably one of the most lopsided series from 90's up until today.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad