1977-78 NHL Salaries

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Why would they sells tickets cheaper than what they are selling now ? If they are selling them....

Because the players made less and the market was set on a much cheaper ticket in the first place. Try bringing up 2019 ticket prices to fans in 1978 (inflation taken into account of course) and people wouldn't be going as much. There was a lot less "Keeping up with the Joneses" back then.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
Because the players made less and the market was set on a much cheaper ticket in the first place. Try bringing up 2019 ticket prices to fans in 1978 (inflation taken into account of course) and people wouldn't be going as much. There was a lot less "Keeping up with the Joneses" back then.

Because the players made less in the past, in 2019 the Montreal Canadians and Leafs would sell ticket cheaper than the price they are achieving to get from buyers ? I think my question was not clear, I am sorry for that, I meant why would the Habs sell ticket cheaper if the players were making 33% of what they are currently making, why leave that money on the table ? Obviously they are able to sell them at the price they are asking for it.

I am not so sure, it would probably go in larger profits for almost all of it a team will normally try to sell ticket at the highest price they can.

Last edited:
Reactions: Doctor No

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
Because the players made less, in 2019 the Montreal Canadians and Leafs would sell ticket cheaper than the price they are achieving to get from buyers ?

I am not so sure, it would probably go in larger profits for almost all of it a team will normally try to sell ticket at the highest price they can.

Agreed - tickets sell for what the market will bear. Expenses are usually presented as an excuse, not a reason.

Selling tickets at a price lower than the optimal price benefits the secondary market, but that's about it:

ticketscalping1.gif

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Wow those guys still made nice coin considering the time.

I could’ve sworn that when the NHL first disclosed salaries publicly in 1990 or 91 or whatever that the lowest paid player in the league was Doug Wickenheiser at $30K but looking at those numbers, I must be misremembering on the low side.

member 83027

Wow those guys still made nice coin considering the time.

I could’ve sworn that when the NHL first disclosed salaries publicly in 1990 or 91 or whatever that the lowest paid player in the league was Doug Wickenheiser at $30K but looking at those numbers, I must be misremembering on the low side.

Wickenheiser did have a very low base salary but very good incentives for games played.

Iron Mike Sharpe

Dec 6, 2017
Top 10 Salaries

1. Phil Esposito $325,000
2. Marcel Dionne $320,000
3. Brad Park $250,000
Walter Tkaczuk $250,000
5. Gil Perreault $200,000
Tony Esposito $200,000
Stan Mikita $200,000
8. Ken Dryden $180,000
Guy Lafleur $180,000
10. Guy Lapointe $175,000
Wayne Dillon $175,000
Garry Unger $175,000

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
Well for starters salaries skyrocketed the second everyone knew what everyone else was making. Jealousy sets in, loyalties are brushed aside. Lockouts happen. Sometimes it isn't the worst thing in the world if the owners have a tighter leash on the players when it comes to the business side of things. The players sign the contracts don't they? Put it this way, Lafleur probably didn't know an over the hill Espo was making that much more than him. But could this have broken up a dynasty if he did and demanded more? It might have.

Heck, we've seen this happen in the modern day NHL. Tampa was a team capable of repeating. But they lose Khabibulin and have never had a good goalie since. Chalk that up to overpaying Richards and Lecavalier for starters. Chicago? A fire sale after their 2010 Cup win.

Its more about the players seeing what they are actually worth and seeing how much owners were taking of the pie.

As for the later problems of salary that you mention. That wasn't so much the players but owners throwing ridiculous amount of money around on offer sheets. Gratton and especially Sakic comes to mind. In 98 Sakic and Gratton earned more than Gretzky, Messier and Bure combined. Both because of offer sheets.

Are you seriously arguing for keeping players in the dark and going back to time where the owners ruled the NHL like a mafia?

Reactions: LeBlondeDemon10

Hurricane Ron

Jul 23, 2015
Tulsa
What a blast from the past! Thanks for posting this. I saw a fair number of the players on the list during their minor league days in the old CHL. Had no idea what any of them made when they moved on to the NHL. I concur that back then, the salaries of professional athletes were more "relatable" to the average guy, than they are now.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
I concur that back then, the salaries of professional athletes were more "relatable" to the average guy, than they are now.

To put in perspective

Median Family Income in the United States

In 77-78: Median household income in the US was around 16-17k, now it is of 76k, the bigger contract were around 2000% the standard american family total income or around 1.5m now.

The lower contract of 50k were about 300% or 230k now.

BobbyAwe

Nov 21, 2006
South Carolina
Wow - Brad Park compared to the rest of the Bruins. I know Ratelle was getting near the end but he was still in the midst of some 90+ point years and was getting $100,000 less? The 2 main goalies were only getting $45,000 more than Park COMBINED?

BobbyAwe

Nov 21, 2006
South Carolina
Some of the numbers surprise me, with Nedomansky making the biggest salary in Detroit and they were also paying a wet firecracker like Greg Joly 100k, or that Cleveland was paying Jim Neilson a very handsome amount or that St. Louis was paying Garry Unger more than what Philadelphia was paying Bobby Clarke...

Clarke's salary was ridiculous. He had just won the Hart Trophy twice!

Iron Mike Sharpe

Dec 6, 2017
Wow - Brad Park compared to the rest of the Bruins. I know Ratelle was getting near the end but he was still in the midst of some 90+ point years and was getting $100,000 less? The 2 main goalies were only getting $45,000 more than Park COMBINED?

I'm guessing that Park was still on a contract that was signed with the Rangers, while Ratelle was likely re-signed post-trade at a lower rate than he had with the Rangers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad