1975 Sabres/Canadiens Playoff Series

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
I don't know what the Habs all time playoff record is against the rangers, but you mention two losses against the rangers here. I've witnessed them lose another three series to the rangers in my lifetime.... With the only win coming when I was too young to remember.

So I think post 06 era, that makes montreal 2-5 against the rangers.... I don't know how many times they met in the 06 era, but I never really hear about a ranger/habs matchup from back then. I'm not saying they didn't happen, but maybe they were rare (or perhaps they happened alot and were just uneventful) .

I gotta start wondering if the rangers actually have a winning record all time on the playoffs against Montreal, and if any other O6 team can say that?
Rangers have an 8-7 edge but we beat them for the Cup in 79.

Davenport

Dec 4, 2020
Toronto
During the last 20 years of the Original Six era, the Rangers and Canadiens only met four times in the playoffs (mainly because New York rarely made the playoffs during that period). Rangers won in 1949-50, and the Habs won in 1956-57, 1957-58 and 1966-67.

Section 104

Sep 12, 2021
apparently the size of the Aud ice was larger than Boston or Chicago so the posts a few years ago may have been wrong.

I went to college in Buffalo in 1974-76 and the Sabres , along with the O J Simpson Buffalo Bills were the toast of the town. Back when you relied on evening news for tv highlights, it was policy for all three stations to show all Sabres goals. Actually what I remember was Desjardins giving up 8. goals in one game and I thought he played great. Although looking at the series Montreal got 15 goals and Buffalo 2 in games 3 and 4 at Montréal but Buffalo won the other games three but 1 goal, the other by 2 (which had an empty net). Maybe if you are going to be bad, get it out of your system at oncea1

When people talk about the 1975-76 games of NHL teams vs the Russians they mention the Canadiens tying Red Army on New Year’s Eve and the Flyer’s beating them 4-1 when Red Army walked off the ice 10 minutes unhappy with the goon tactics the Flyers used. But Buffalo played a lesser squad of Russians, Soviet Wings and beat them 12-6 in fire wagon up and down the ice hockey.

An interesting exciting team missing a great goalie like Parent or Dryden. Or a coach like Shero or Bowman

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I don't know what the Habs all time playoff record is against the rangers, but you mention two losses against the rangers here. I've witnessed them lose another three series to the rangers in my lifetime.... With the only win coming when I was too young to remember.

So I think post 06 era, that makes montreal 2-5 against the rangers.... I don't know how many times they met in the 06 era, but I never really hear about a ranger/habs matchup from back then. I'm not saying they didn't happen, but maybe they were rare (or perhaps they happened alot and were just uneventful) .

I gotta start wondering if the rangers actually have a winning record all time on the playoffs against Montreal, and if any other O6 team can say that?
Ranger team from early 70s were really good. They could have easily won couple cups

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad