1975 Sabres/Canadiens Playoff Series

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
This is an interesting series in retrospect considering it was Montreal's last postseason defeat for the rest of the 70s with basically the same cast of characters that dominated the rest of the decade and had also won a Cup in ‘73. (Ironically, Buffalo gave the Habs fits in the ‘73 Playoffs, so maybe that experience proved vital here)

Boston never beat them in the 70s with a handful of great teams, but the Sabres go figure did.

Buffalo on the surface wasn’t exactly as stacked as the ‘71 Bruins team Montreal famously beat nor as seasoned as the ‘72 Rangers that beat Dryden in his “rookie” season, but they somehow found a way in ‘75.

It was a classic home cooking series the first 5 games. Buffalo lost badly twice at the Montreal Forum (7-0, 8-2), but won 3 one goal games, two of them in overtime.

Then they bucked the road trend by clinching the series at Montreal no less!

So how did Buffalo pull this off?

And theoretically, could Montreal have matched up better with Philly in ‘75 considering this was essentially the same team that did beat them in ‘76?

Little did anyone know at the time, however, how long it would be before the Habs would be sent to defeat again in the spring

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Second year I watched hockey, that's right, the Habs spanked the Sabres handily during the first two games. I seem to remember the series becoming more physical upon the return to Buffalo. Interestingly, the Sabres were never as good as that year despite also having a great number of the same players for a few years after, if memory serves correctly.

I don't think the Sabres were as steady in goal the years after though.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
This is an interesting series in retrospect considering it was Montreal's last postseason defeat for the rest of the 70s with basically the same cast of characters that dominated the rest of the decade and had also won a Cup in ‘73. (Ironically, Buffalo gave the Habs fits in the ‘73 Playoffs, so maybe that experience proved vital here)

Boston never beat them in the 70s with a handful of great teams, but the Sabres go figure did.

Buffalo on the surface wasn’t exactly as stacked as the ‘71 Bruins team Montreal famously beat nor as seasoned as the ‘72 Rangers that beat Dryden in his “rookie” season, but they somehow found a way in ‘75.

It was a classic home cooking series the first 5 games. Buffalo lost badly twice at the Montreal Forum (7-0, 8-2), but won 3 one goal games, two of them in overtime.

Then they bucked the road trend by clinching the series at Montreal no less!

So how did Buffalo pull this off?

And theoretically, could Montreal have matched up better with Philly in ‘75 considering this was essentially the same team that did beat them in ‘76?

Little did anyone know at the time, however, how long it would be before the Habs would be sent to defeat again in the spring

I remember watching that series as a nine year old. It was the first and last time I ever wept over a hockey game, when Buffalo sent Montreal packing in game 6. This video is amazing to me, as I hadn't seen any highlights since.

Normand Lacombe

Jan 30, 2008
Second year I watched hockey, that's right, the Habs spanked the Sabres handily during the first two games. I seem to remember the series becoming more physical upon the return to Buffalo. Interestingly, the Sabres were never as good as that year despite also having a great number of the same players for a few years after, if memory serves correctly.

I don't think the Sabres were as steady in goal the years after though.

Buffalo had home ice and won the first two games at the Aud. It was in games 3 and 4 at the Forum that the Sabres were routed, 7-0 and 8-2.

The goaltending for the Sabres was never truly in good hands. Gerry Desjardins and Roger Crozier had the fortune of playing for a team that finished 2nd in the NHL in goals scored in 74-75, behind Montreal. In this series Desjardins posted a .830 SV% in 5 games, with Crozier posting a .872 SV% in 3 games. Fortunately for Buffalo, they were able to score goals at opportune times to outlast Montreal. It also helped Buffalo's cause that Dryden, Robinson and Savard did not play to their lofty standards in the series.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Buffalo had home ice and won the first two games at the Aud. It was in games 3 and 4 at the Forum that the Sabres were routed, 7-0 and 8-2.

Me bad, long time ago, but I did remember the Habs winning handily at the Forum. That save % for Buff is pretty low for a team that won that round.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Good topic, as a Habs fan I remember it was hard at the time. The '73 series was only real fight we had in the playoffs. As we walked thru Philly and Chicago. Don't know why Sabres were able to play over their heads against us? Imlach experience playing against us all those years in the '60s? Maybe he knew Frank Mahovlich's weakness in '73?

double5son10

Jan 20, 2011
Denver
Good topic, as a Habs fan I remember it was hard at the time. The '73 series was only real fight we had in the playoffs. As we walked thru Philly and Chicago. Don't know why Sabres were able to play over their heads against us? Imlach experience playing against us all those years in the '60s? Maybe he knew Frank Mahovlich's weakness in '73?

" Montreal and Buffalo, meanwhile, approach the playoffs with peculiar perspectives. The Sabres, now the biggest, fastest and youngest team in the game, rudely whipped the Canadiens four times this season but failed to beat the Flyers in any of their four confrontations. "Playing Montreal is no trouble for my kids," said Buffalo General Manager Punch Imlach, "because we're basically a skating club, like the Canadiens. We also have a lot of young French-Canadians who always give an extra burst against Montreal. But when we go against Philadelphia, we never know what to expect, a battle or a hockey game." "
...BUT IN THE NHL, IT'S BRAINS

Also,
" In the wake of the painful defeat, Scotty Bowman mused that the Canadiens had to adopt a more structured style of play to keep pace with the changes occurring in the NHL. "We tried to go open and full out against the Sabres, and it didn't work," he said. "
from 100 Years of Glory by Darcy Jenish. Jenish's book also talks about how Montreal had no one that could check Perreault. Henri Richard was hurt (and 38 yrs. old). Addition of Doug Jarvis the following season helped solidify the Canadiens' checking line.

Big game of the series was game 5. After the two blowout wins Montreal went into Buffalo and laid a big, fat defensive egg. Outshot 45-19 to lose 5-4 in OT. Game 6 was the Gilbert Perreault show. Though he didn't score he controlled play and seemed to have the puck on a string whenever he was out.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
" Montreal and Buffalo, meanwhile, approach the playoffs with peculiar perspectives. The Sabres, now the biggest, fastest and youngest team in the game, rudely whipped the Canadiens four times this season but failed to beat the Flyers in any of their four confrontations. "Playing Montreal is no trouble for my kids," said Buffalo General Manager Punch Imlach, "because we're basically a skating club, like the Canadiens. We also have a lot of young French-Canadians who always give an extra burst against Montreal. But when we go against Philadelphia, we never know what to expect, a battle or a hockey game." "
...BUT IN THE NHL, IT'S BRAINS

Also,
" In the wake of the painful defeat, Scotty Bowman mused that the Canadiens had to adopt a more structured style of play to keep pace with the changes occurring in the NHL. "We tried to go open and full out against the Sabres, and it didn't work," he said. "
from 100 Years of Glory by Darcy Jenish. Jenish's book also talks about how Montreal had no one that could check Perreault. Henri Richard was hurt (and 38 yrs. old). Addition of Doug Jarvis the following season helped solidify the Canadiens' checking line.

Big game of the series was game 5. After the two blowout wins Montreal went into Buffalo and laid a big, fat defensive egg. Outshot 45-19 to lose 5-4 in OT. Game 6 was the Gilbert Perreault show. Though he didn't score he controlled play and seemed to have the puck on a string whenever he was out.
Yeah, the NHL back then should have forced teams to have a standard ice surface. Playing on small ice gave big, physical teams like Buffalo and Boston an advantage over skilled teams like the Habs. But playing a slower physical team like Philly; they never had the advantage. I think more Buffalo than Boston.
Also explains why Sabres were able to dominate the USSR in SuperSeries '76. It was difficult for skill to play there.
Buffalo and Montreal each went in opposite directions after that series. What happened to Buffalo in following years? I can't remember them in playoffs. They must have falled off sharply. We played Islanders and Philly played Boston in '76 Semis I remember. In '77 and '78 can't remember who we played in semis. Boston in Finals of course, and semis in '79. I know it wasn't Buffalo. We didn't play Sabres again until '83 I think. They kicked our butts again but likely was due to Aud.

johnpressman

Mar 8, 2020
Just saw this thread. As a Canadien fan, the 1974-1975 playoff series against Buffalo broke my heart. This was the year that All Star goaltender Ken Dryden returned from his one year NHL hiatus, this was the year that Guy Lafleur took off his helmet and became a 50 goal scorer, this was the year that Pete Mahovlich scored over 100 points for the first time, and this was the final year for my idol, Henri Richard, the last link to the 5 time Stanley Cup Champion Montreal team of the 1950s. Henri, who passed away a few days ago, played only 16 regular season games that season before breaking his ankle. His comeback appearance in the Stanley Cup Semi-Finals against Buffalo was to be his last hurrah. I was hoping that he would hoist the Stanley Cup as the team captain.

That year Philadelphia, Montreal and Buffalo all tied for the league lead with 113 points. Buffalo gained the home ice advantage due to having more wins than Montreal (49 to 47). The difference in this series was that Montreal did not have a dedicated checking line such as the Sabres' Gare-Luce-and Ramsey trio. Bob Gainey, the best defensive forward of his era, played left wing with Jacques Lemaire and Yvan Cournoyer. We did have "the Disruptors" line of Lambert, Reisborough and Tremblay, however, they were only out for short shifts in order to add physicality and to throw the other teams' line changes off.

The following year Montreal traded for superb checking center and face-off expert Doug Jarvis, paired him with Gainey on the left and defenseman/right wing Jim Roberts to form the greatest checking line in hockey history.

In the 1975 playoffs, Montreal could not match up with Buffalo's French Connection of Robert, Perreault and Martin while the Luce line kept our scorers in check. The Canadiens were forced to play all out offense against Buffalo and their smaller rink hampered that style. Henri Richard retired, was replaced by Jarvis and the late 1970s Canadiens dynasty was born. A team that could play any style and win.

Last edited:

Moose Head

Mar 12, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
The Sabres, like the Soviets, always gave Dryden fits. He had trouble against elite skating and passing teams. Plus, it was the worst season of his career. He was rusty after taking the previous season off and it cost them first overall and home ice through out the playoffs. Imo that was the biggest reason the habs didn’t win 5 in a row. Really could have been 7 in a row if Dryden didn’t take his hiatus.

Last edited:

Davenport

Dec 4, 2020
Toronto
For anyone tired of seeing the Canadiens hoist the Cup, the period 1969-70 to 1974-75 provided some highlights: 1969-70, they miss the playoffs; 1971-72, Rangers take them out in the first round; 1973-74, Rangers take them out in the first round (again); and 1974-75, Buffalo took them out. Twice - during that period - I found myself cheering the Hawks.

I remember this series like yesterday, absolutely crushed me but had to tip my hat to the Sabres. Great series, outstanding skating, Punch was a genius no matter what folks say about him !
Had he not returned to Toronto and jousted with Sittler, Imlach would be recognized as a genius today.

Reactions: Cournoyer12

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
The Habs reeled it in offensively and played defense after being stung by the Sabres:

1672544245114.png

Reactions: double5son10

double5son10

Jan 20, 2011
Denver
The Sabres, like the Soviets, always gave Dryden fits. He had trouble against elite skating and passing teams. Plus, it was the worst season of his career. He was rusty after taking the previous season off and it cost them first overall and home ice through out the playoffs. Imo that was the biggest reason the habs didn’t win 5 in a row. Really could have been 7 in a row if Dryden didn’t take his hiatus.

No, not really. Certainly not "always". Dryden, and the rest of the Canadiens, went winless that 74-75 regular season when top-to-bottom the Sabres were the better team, but otherwise Dryden was his usual outstanding self against Buffalo throughout his career. Take away that one season and Dryden was 13-5-3 with a 92.1 save%. In the five losses the Canadiens were outscored 17-7 (2,2,1,1,1) so not a whole lot of goal support in those losses.

I'd recommend watching Game 1 of the '75 series.

Dryden keeps the Habs from being run out of the building. It's pretty shocking to watch how bad the Canadiens are defensively here; the score could've been 12-5 given how many prime scoring opportunities the Canadiens give up. Yes, he surrenders five in regulation but an honest assessment of the game wouldn't hang responsibility for the loss on Dryden, the Sabres so thoroughly outplay them. Not what you'd expect from a Bowman coached team with the Big Three on defense.

The young Sabres had played the Habs tough before --'73 playoff series was very even. Sabres did give the Habs "fits", putting an average of 38 Shots per Game through the series but that didn't stop Dryden from putting up a 93.0 Save %.

Rumors of Dryden's struggles have been greatly exaggerated.

Reactions: overpass

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
Had he not returned to Toronto and jousted with Sittler, Imlach would be recognized as a genius today.
The job Imlach did as Buffalo GM is very underrated. Took them from expansion team to Stanley Cup finalist in five seasons, and did it without having to sacrifice draft picks or prospects. Strong drafting record, was able to trade for key players like Luce and Robert without giving up much in return. Best GM in Sabres history in my opinion.

Many people thought Imlach would be Vancouver's first GM when they and Buffalo entered the league. I think the 70s would have turned out differently for both franchises had that happened.

johnpressman

Mar 8, 2020
I wonder why there is NO tape of Games 3 and 4 of the 1975 Montreal vs Buffalo series? Only games 1, 2 5 and 6 exist, ALL Montreal losses.

I also wonder why Bowman never considered switching Jimmy Roberts for Yvan Cournoyer on the Lemaire line when playing Buffalo. Jacques is a fantastic two-way player and with Gainey and Roberts on the wings you have a superb checking line that can stop Buffalo's French Connection line. In essence, using Lemaire in the Jarvis role that Doug would claim the following year. You are giving up some offense for defense but stopping their top line is the key to beating Buffalo, and, who knows, maybe these guys can take advantage of the French Connection's defensive miscues with a timely goal.

You can also give Cournoyer some shifts with Richard and Murray Wilson, and Yvan has always produced on the Power Play.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
For anyone tired of seeing the Canadiens hoist the Cup, the period 1969-70 to 1974-75 provided some highlights: 1969-70, they miss the playoffs; 1971-72, Rangers take them out in the first round; 1973-74, Rangers take them out in the first round (again); and 1974-75, Buffalo took them out. Twice - during that period - I found myself cheering the Hawks.

I don't know what the Habs all time playoff record is against the rangers, but you mention two losses against the rangers here. I've witnessed them lose another three series to the rangers in my lifetime.... With the only win coming when I was too young to remember.

So I think post 06 era, that makes montreal 2-5 against the rangers.... I don't know how many times they met in the 06 era, but I never really hear about a ranger/habs matchup from back then. I'm not saying they didn't happen, but maybe they were rare (or perhaps they happened alot and were just uneventful) .

I gotta start wondering if the rangers actually have a winning record all time on the playoffs against Montreal, and if any other O6 team can say that?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad