Prospect Info: 195th Overall ( Round 7 ) - Victor Berglund (D)

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
From what I can remember, he didn't look too out of place when he played for Providence back in 2018/2019. How's Providence looking on defense next year, potentially (pairing wise).
He did look good,very light though, can he hold up?
Assuming Lauzon has made Boston for good
Left side
Vaakanainen, Zboril, Ahcan, Zech, Wolff
Right
Didier, Kampfer, Clifton? Berglund
Probably the end of the line for Breen,Triple P and Big Sherms

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
He did look good,very light though, can he hold up?
Assuming Lauzon has made Boston for good
Left side
Vaakanainen, Zboril, Ahcan, Zech, Wolff
Right
Didier, Kampfer, Clifton? Berglund
Probably the end of the line for Breen,Triple P and Big Sherms

do you think zboril clears waivers? Clifton with 3 years at a mill minor league salary might I guess... but honestly he looks like an ideal 7th dman at the nhl level and im strongly feeling he wouldnt clear waivers either

if the team is still high on zboril i can see him being an 8th dman in boston this year instead of carrying 14 forwards {athough senshyn being out of waiver options complicates that}

and as for Clifton... hes made this team 2 years in a row and he hasnt suddenly taken a step back. a lot of signs are pointing to krug being out the door now. we will have room for Clifton if vaakainainen gets another year in providence to ripen

I see nhl d-core

McAvoy/grzelyck {with McAvoy getting the nod to become our pp qb}
carlo/chara {I do see chara back another year after reports are his agent said so|
Clifton/Lauzon {lauzon has a chance to move up if his play is solid}
moore/zboril {let zboril get some nhl looks to see if he can step into chara's spot next year}

Clifton keeps his nhl job until another kid wrestles it away but even at that point I see him simply moving into the pressbox. kid brings high energy when he plays and thats something of value for a 7th dman. I could even see them giving him some games as a 4th line forward if injuries decimate the team at some point.

moore got such a long term deal... I see him hanging around for now and honestly he is an nhl dman. he might not be a great guy that overfills a spot but he can play nhl defense. I expect he will stay for awhile despite what some fans think.

and sorry if I piss off krug fans. he obviously has many skills. but its a numbers game with the cap. ultimately McAvoy/carlo are going to be paid like top pair guys and whoever is 3rd on our depth chart needs to be paid like a 3rd dman

aguineapig

Sounds like a good replacement Axel for the one we had to leave behind in Anaheim.

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
do you think zboril clears waivers? Clifton with 3 years at a mill minor league salary might I guess... but honestly he looks like an ideal 7th dman at the nhl level and im strongly feeling he wouldnt clear waivers either

if the team is still high on zboril i can see him being an 8th dman in boston this year instead of carrying 14 forwards {athough senshyn being out of waiver options complicates that}

and as for Clifton... hes made this team 2 years in a row and he hasnt suddenly taken a step back. a lot of signs are pointing to krug being out the door now. we will have room for Clifton if vaakainainen gets another year in providence to ripen

I see nhl d-core

McAvoy/grzelyck {with McAvoy getting the nod to become our pp qb}
carlo/chara {I do see chara back another year after reports are his agent said so|
Clifton/Lauzon {lauzon has a chance to move up if his play is solid}
moore/zboril {let zboril get some nhl looks to see if he can step into chara's spot next year}

Clifton keeps his nhl job until another kid wrestles it away but even at that point I see him simply moving into the pressbox. kid brings high energy when he plays and thats something of value for a 7th dman. I could even see them giving him some games as a 4th line forward if injuries decimate the team at some point.

moore got such a long term deal... I see him hanging around for now and honestly he is an nhl dman. he might not be a great guy that overfills a spot but he can play nhl defense. I expect he will stay for awhile despite what some fans think.

and sorry if I piss off krug fans. he obviously has many skills. but its a numbers game with the cap. ultimately McAvoy/carlo are going to be paid like top pair guys and whoever is 3rd on our depth chart needs to be paid like a 3rd dman
60/40 Zboril doesn't gets thru ,I can make the case either way however the strongest case to be made is he'd be a nice free pickup on a team going nowhere fast with a coach that's patient and is trying to build for the future

I list Clifton because he finished the year in Providence,he's an NHL player in my eyes but there he was playing in Providence before the Covid came

Don't see Krug back either

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
60/40 Zboril doesn't gets thru ,I can make the case either way however the strongest case to be made is he'd be a nice free pickup on a team going nowhere fast with a coach that's patient and is trying to build for the future

I list Clifton because he finished the year in Providence,he's an NHL player in my eyes but there he was playing in Providence before the Covid came

Wasn't Clifton in Providence for a 2 game conditioning stint only and then right back to Boston? My memory isn't what it use to be.

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
Wasn't Clifton in Providence for a 2 game conditioning stint only and then right back to Boston? My memory isn't what it use to be.
I might be mixing it up but originally thought it was a conditioning stint,went back up then was sent back down but you're probably right

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut

Kind of the same feeling you have on Zboril. I also think you'd have a team feel the same way about Senyshyn if he were put on waivers. Did Zboril and Lauzon play at all together in PRO? If Krug were to walk via FA I was thinking about something like:

Chara - McAvoy
Grz - Carlo
Zboril - Lauzon

These leaves Moore as your 7th d-man. Will also be interesting to see how Achan comes out of the gate. I wouldn't expect him to break camp with the team, but he could make for an interest 3rd pairing option.

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
Kind of the same feeling you have on Zboril. I also think you'd have a team feel the same way about Senyshyn if he were put on waivers. Did Zboril and Lauzon play at all together in PRO? If Krug were to walk via FA I was thinking about something like:

Chara - McAvoy
Grz - Carlo
Zboril - Lauzon

These leaves Moore as your 7th d-man. Will also be interesting to see how Achan comes out of the gate. I wouldn't expect him to break camp with the team, but he could make for an interest 3rd pairing option.
Zboril and Lauzon played together a lot in the past but not so much this season
Be interesting to see what their plan is regarding Zboril and Senyshyn going forward

Reactions: OneManIsNoMan

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Zboril and Lauzon played together a lot in the past but not so much this season
Be interesting to see what their plan is regarding Zboril and Senyshyn going forward

Ya they have quite a few guys that will need to clear waivers next year (and I don't know that they will), so it seems like this off-season might be time for Sweeney to package some guys up and make a move.

Reactions: Estlin

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Ya they have quite a few guys that will need to clear waivers next year (and I don't know that they will), so it seems like this off-season might be time for Sweeney to package some guys up and make a move.

I think the bigger concern is arbitration. Gryz, Bjork, and Kuhlman are eligible. (I'm not worried about B Ritchie, Gaunce and Sherman).

Salary cap is a huge issue here (which can't be used in arbitration). Plenty of players around the league won't get what they are worth because of the cap and their only options are salary arbitration or take the hit $ wise. I can certainly see a record number of players filing for arbitration and I can see teams exercising their walk away rights because they can't make the dollars work.

I can also see the uncertainty affecting waivers. Remember, if you claim a player on waivers, you have to keep them on your NHL roster and can't trade them for a year. If a team claims a player and tries to send him down to the AHL, the original team has first rights and can send him down to the AHL without requiring waivers.

For the same cap reasons, I can see fewer players claimed from the waiver wire because teams need to get their own house in order.

That said, there are a couple of teams in very good shape, Ottawa being one of them. So I could see them having some interest in the hometown kid in Senyshyn, or even Zboril, hoping they could reunite him with Chabot.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
I think the bigger concern is arbitration. Gryz, Bjork, and Kuhlman are eligible. (I'm not worried about B Ritchie, Gaunce and Sherman).

Salary cap is a huge issue here (which can't be used in arbitration). Plenty of players around the league won't get what they are worth because of the cap and their only options are salary arbitration or take the hit $ wise. I can certainly see a record number of players filing for arbitration and I can see teams exercising their walk away rights because they can't make the dollars work.

I can also see the uncertainty affecting waivers. Remember, if you claim a player on waivers, you have to keep them on your NHL roster and can't trade them for a year. If a team claims a player and tries to send him down to the AHL, the original team has first rights and can send him down to the AHL without requiring waivers.

For the same cap reasons, I can see fewer players claimed from the waiver wire because teams need to get their own house in order.

That said, there are a couple of teams in very good shape, Ottawa being one of them. So I could see them having some interest in the hometown kid in Senyshyn, or even Zboril, hoping they could reunite him with Chabot.

As usual Dom brings up things that I've never thought about and are excellent points lol. It'll be interesting see what happens when it comes to guys and the waiver wire next year. The bolded could also be pretty big depending on who falls into that group. I'm not entirely sure how arb works, but do you think we see more 1yr deals for RFA's this season due to the flat cap?

DutchSenators

Dec 23, 2020
I just made an account to say that he's been great so far. He's been noticeable on the ice, does all the good things defensively, but mainly surprised by how he can chip in offensively as well, with limited ice time. With Gustafsson and Lundkvist he doesn't see much ice time on the PP but still has the same number of points as Lundkvist (both 14 in 23 games).

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
I just made an account to say that he's been great so far. He's been noticeable on the ice, does all the good things defensively, but mainly surprised by how he can chip in offensively as well, with limited ice time. With Gustafsson and Lundkvist he doesn't see much ice time on the PP but still has the same number of points as Lundkvist (both 14 in 23 games).

Thank you for sharing...

DutchSenators

Dec 23, 2020
17 points in 30 games now. Below the stats from Lulea (his team) since images speak louder than words. His low TOI, and the fact that most come at 5 on 5, also make his campaign even more impressive.

upload_2021-1-15_14-46-49.png

Reactions: Dr Hook and Chestus

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
The expectation is he stays in Sweden indeed. I'm still trying to find out why he didn't play yesterday for Lulea though, and can't find any information yet.
They've started to bring home the guys that were loaned in Europe and looking at the Providence roster not sure he's needed this season

Gardiner Expressway

Dec 1, 2011
Seeing a decline on paper over the course of this season from Victor in his time on ice and his 5game rolling points per game.

Anyone watching who can give some context why his TOI is down from 12-14+ to lots of 9min games?

The scoring has also come down over a similar time period from mid-Nov ownward...

upload_2021-2-13_13-5-13.png

PepeBostones

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2002
He's their 7th Dman since the middle of December most nights. Luleå is a very good team with good depth on defense. Victor plays the odd shift plus on 2nd power-play unit. Luleå has two of the best offensive defensemen in SHL in Nils Lundkvist and Erik Gustavsson.
This is his first year in SHL and he's done well in my opinion but needs to improve his defense and to do that needs to be stronger. A work in process.
He started well scoring 2+11 in the first 20 games but 1+5 in the next 19 games with much less icetime.

Last edited:

DutchSenators

Dec 23, 2020
Now that he is in the AHL I cannot follow him anymore. How has he been so far? Still see his upside as a 2nd pairing Dman so very interesting to see if he can make it.

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
Now that he is in the AHL I cannot follow him anymore. How has he been so far? Still see his upside as a 2nd pairing Dman so very interesting to see if he can make it.
He's a good prospect, he's missed time with injuries but has played well, he certainly has upside, he might have the hardest shot in the AHL, he's not knocking on the door, probably won't this season and has work to do but he's got a bit of swagger to him

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad