19 yo Timur Faizutdinov fighting for his life after taking puck to the head (Update: passed away)

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Was he wearing the helmet correctly? If so, it really should protect from things like this. If it doesn't, we need a helmet reform as soon as possible.
No, a lot of helmets do not cover the entirety of the temporal bone of the skull that they mention was fractured. The majority of helmets you see with visors don't really cover the ear, and the temporal bone extends down as low as the ear lobe.

Reactions: DaveG

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Whoa, just shows you how sometimes freak injuries can be devastating
Hope he recovers

ijuka

May 14, 2016
No, a lot of helmets do not cover the entirety of the temporal bone of the skull that they mention was fractured. The majority of helmets you see with visors don't really cover the ear, and the temporal bone extends down as low as the ear lobe.
Yeah, my understanding is that the side of the head is one of the most vulnerable spots, so the helmets seriously should cover them. So avoidable... And brushing it aside as a "freak accident" is in my opinion not the solution, but of course that's what will be done.

jaloviina

1-2-3 stars!
Dec 24, 2015
Bunch of Jerks Finland
soo did I understand this correctly? He was dead for 8 minutes? yeah then its pull the plug situation/massive brain damage. Shows how life is full of freak accidents which nobody can be prepared.

Hopefully he makes full recovery but don't wonder if we read of his obituary soon. :(

Tonystretcher

Oct 25, 2017
Full face coverings need to be mandatory. Situations like this are entirely avoidable. They don’t impair your vision at all. This macho man culture we have in hockey is complete bullshit. One day we’ll look back on half shields the same way we look at no helmets at all. Hope this kid pulls through.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Full face coverings need to be mandatory. Situations like this are entirely avoidable. They don’t impair your vision at all. This macho man culture we have in hockey is complete bullshit. One day we’ll look back on half shields the same way we look at no helmets at all. Hope this kid pulls through.
Agreed, all these injuries are completely avoidable with proper head protection.

2 others

Mar 9, 2021
It's only a matter of time (until something similar happens in the NHL). There was an incident a while ago, also in Russia, some young kid died after he got hit in the neck.

My guess is it will happen this century, mandatory full shields that is.

Reactions: WestCoastLife

Dicky113

Oct 30, 2007
So sad. I hope this isn’t another case of poor medical/emergency response in Russian league contributing

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Ugh. I literally got hit in the same spot by a hard shot 2 weeks ago. Helmet does not cover it. I am fine, but man I hope this kid pulls through.

What kind of injury did you end up with?

It's crazy how the angle of impact and the precise location where it hits can make such a huge difference. Usually velocity is a major determining factor but here it appears like it's a confluence of other unfortunate factors. Sucks.

Reactions: DaveG

alexmanu

Jan 1, 2011
United Kingdom

Agreed 100%

Praying he pulls through.

Evergreen

Would this have even prevented the injury he received? This looks like it hit the side of his head and a full cage wouldn't have made any difference.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
The description of those injuries sound absolutely dire. Chance of survival sounds very very low. I wonder if some helmet redesign could result from this.

Esq

in terrorem
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2009
Village in the City
What kind of injury did you end up with?

It's crazy how the angle of impact and the precise location where it hits can make such a huge difference. Usually velocity is a major determining factor but here it appears like it's a confluence of other unfortunate factors. Sucks.
Literally just a bad bruise and sore head. No dizziness or nausea. I was back on the ice again within 12 days.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad