Prospect Info: #19 OA - C/W Evgeny Svechnikov, QMJHL

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I appreciate that our draft ship may never come in. That is a very real concern. I don't, however, know how to mitigate that risk. We can talk about rebuilding without truly top picks, but that to me still requires a ton of draft luck (i.e. later picks out developing their draft position). You still need to rebuild through the draft, you are just doing so in a different way. I also think that if we could improve our top six at a reasonable expense without unnecessary risks, Yzerman would have done so already (or would do so in the future without hesitation). I don't believe for a second he has turned his back on a single opportunity to substantially improve the top six of this roster at a reasonable cost.

Over time I think we will see better UFAs sign in Detroit and perhaps we can develop some more tradable assets, but I still think the rebuild runs through the draft in some shape or form.

I think you mitigate the risk by going after better talent outside of the draft. In the short run you make the team better and provide better support for the players you're drafting/developing, in the long run you're putting pieces in place for a better team or having future trade chips. I think there is too much concern about cost. We've seen GMs play this dance all of the time with contracts they want to get rid of. We saw Yzerman do it in Tampa, Holland did it, every GM does it.

would the Wings have to overpay compared to St. Louis or Tampa? Yeah, but so what? To some degree, operating in a cap environment means getting the most from your expenses that you can, but you also don't get bonus points for not spending money. And the draft lotto has really devalued being straight up awful.

And for all of the worry about drafting at the very top of the draft, how many cup teams have been built on that? Pittsburgh, yeah. Chicago? They pulled a lot of pieces outside of the top3. Same with LA. Boston. Washington. Tampa. Bringing in guys who can be used as big trade chips down the road, and not just guys we hope to pass of for a mid-rounder, could really help here. Or they could make other guy expendable to be dealt.

I don't think Yzerman seriously pursued improving the top half of the roster this past off-season, though. I don't think it was an option. Everything they did only makes sense if you're trying to contain costs. Which, hey, it's not my money. But I think it cost the Wings a unique opportunity to aggressively over turn their roster a bit.

Yes, but elite talent is still hard to come by. Take any random draft year, and show me how many are at Yzerman level of play?

Here's 2015:
2015 NHL Entry Draft Picks at hockeydb.com

I'd venture a guess that there is less separating the elite talent from the almost elite talent from whatever you want to call the tier below that.

We can't expect Yzerman to do it all perfect. He has to fail and learn.
I like what Yzerman and Blashill have achieved or more correctly how they position this team to succeed, they have not achieved anything yet.
Anyhow, why don't you think we can get top 3 pick?

Yzerman himself was 4th overall. With the number of team that time, is 10th overall now like 5th overall then.

They could, but the draft lotto makes getting that top3 pick less likely for being as bad as the Wings are. Look, if the Wings were guaranteed to pick where they finished, then awful it up. Over the past three drafts I think they've dropped a total of 8 or 9 spots, though. We're not being rewarded for being as awful as we've been. And when you look at drafts, historically, the expected production outside of the top two picks begins to drop pretty heavily as soon as 3rd over all.

Gutting the franchise to be the worst team in the league to have marginally better odds at the draft lotto...Maybe it pans out at some point, I like to think it has to, but it's not something I'd put my money on.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Crypes, Stevie's not that old. There were 21 teams in 1983. In a redraft, he'd go #1 anyways.

Go look at those drafts back then, look at some newer ones, it really doesn't matter. You won't find Yzerman level talent past the first 5 picks on a consistent basis.
You do not follow with technology my friend. With today's technology and apps you can easily transform Yzerman back in the days to play with Howe or even earlier.

Anyhow, a little joke here and there won't harm anyone.

That was my point. With 21 teams then and 31/32 now, Yzerman being picked 4th overall is basically like Zedina 6th, the same position all considered.

But my point is that we need top 3 now, this season and then we might be ready. I kind of think that we can add a FA as a core player. Pre cap era it was not possible, but now it might be way to go.
In addition you need a bit of luck too.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I think you mitigate the risk by going after better talent outside of the draft. In the short run you make the team better and provide better support for the players you're drafting/developing, in the long run you're putting pieces in place for a better team or having future trade chips. I think there is too much concern about cost. We've seen GMs play this dance all of the time with contracts they want to get rid of. We saw Yzerman do it in Tampa, Holland did it, every GM does it.

would the Wings have to overpay compared to St. Louis or Tampa? Yeah, but so what? To some degree, operating in a cap environment means getting the most from your expenses that you can, but you also don't get bonus points for not spending money. And the draft lotto has really devalued being straight up awful.

And for all of the worry about drafting at the very top of the draft, how many cup teams have been built on that? Pittsburgh, yeah. Chicago? They pulled a lot of pieces outside of the top3. Same with LA. Boston. Washington. Tampa. Bringing in guys who can be used as big trade chips down the road, and not just guys we hope to pass of for a mid-rounder, could really help here. Or they could make other guy expendable to be dealt.

I don't think Yzerman seriously pursued improving the top half of the roster this past off-season, though. I don't think it was an option. Everything they did only makes sense if you're trying to contain costs. Which, hey, it's not my money. But I think it cost the Wings a unique opportunity to aggressively over turn their roster a bit.

Or the good free agents just weren't that into the Wings. I have no idea who Yzerman seriously pursued in free agency. None of us do. In addition, unlike drafting, free agency takes two to tango. Call me old fashion, but I am very skeptical of players that take massive contracts to sign with really bad teams. One Frans Nielsen is enough for me to watch. I see it as a clear sign of a player who isn't that into winning (or doesn't prioritize it) and who will invariably check out mentally and competitively over time. I am not sure I can think of a single organization that really turned their fortunes around primarily through free agency.

As I mentioned earlier, I think we will hit a point where we will become more attractive to higher-end free agents, but we are only going to get there through organic growth (i.e. the draft and trading drafted assets). I also agree that they do not hand out points for managing the cap and that all teams will have a number of bad contracts at any given point in time. That, however, is not an excuse for spending money to spend money out of impatience (which is what your post seems to be advocating for).

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Or the good free agents just weren't that into the Wings. I have no idea who Yzerman seriously pursued in free agency. None of us do. In addition, unlike drafting, free agency takes two to tango. Call me old fashion, but I am very skeptical of players that take massive contracts to sign with really bad teams. One Frans Nielsen is enough for me to watch. I see it as a clear sign of a player who isn't that into winning (or doesn't prioritize it) and who will invariably check out mentally and competitively over time. I am not sure I can think of a single organization that really turned their fortunes around primarily through free agency.

As I mentioned earlier, I think we will hit a point where we will become more attractive to higher-end free agents, but we are only going to get there through organic growth (i.e. the draft and trading drafted assets). I also agree that they do not hand out points for managing the cap and that all teams will have a number of bad contracts at any given point in time. That, however, is not an excuse for spending money to spend money out of impatience (which is what your post seems to be advocating for).

Wait, so, one, you think Frans Nielsen's issue is that he's quit? Not that he's 35 and has a tendency to get his bell rung? and that if Tory Krug was signed here you'd be skeptical of him but not of Tyler Johnson if we picked him off waivers? I'm not buying this. I think Krug is Krug regardless of where he signs. His game may fit better with some teams than others, but I don't think a player signing somewhere because they offered the biggest payout means that player isn't going to do his best to show up for them.

I also don't think I (or others) have called for the primary way for the Wings to turn things around to be through free agency. I call for one or two prominent signings to supplement the kids. I've also admitted that some years that's not going to happen. And while we can't know who Yzerman pursued, we do have the record of every move he's made over the past six months and none of them involved an attempt to get a significant salary or player. Take the aforementioned Tyler Johnson. we could have grabbed him for nothing other than his salary. He is an immediate upgrade to center behind Larkin. His contract isn't something that is crippling and is only around for another couple of years. And...we did nothing.

I've also said elsewhere/earlier that I think this last off-season was a bit of a one-off and that we missed an opportunity we wouldn't normally have. I don't think we could normally buy our way into a conversation with a guy like Krug, but this time? Yeah, I do. Going forward, I don't expect UFAs of his caliber to maybe be looking so hard for a deal they like.

I don't view it as impatience to bring in the best players you can, and I'm not arguing for handing out blank checks to fill half the lineup.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I think watching Svech on the powerplay, he sees passing lanes that a lot of guys on the team dont. If he can get a step back on his skating I still think he can be useful long term. Hes a guy who somehow finds ways to produce it seems

The bigger thing with Svech and it is funny because of how much they have harped on it with the other younger players is he knows where he is going with the puck when he gets it. That is a big time NHL quality. He makes quick and hard decisions almost every time he has the puck. I am sure they will rake him over the coals for puck watching on the one goal. But he has been a positive when in the lineup, I really wish they would stop pulling him out. We will see, I feel a dumb punishment inbound, I hope that doesn't happen.

Reactions: Winger98 and MBH

JoesuffP

Feb 3, 2016
I mean he probably clears and stays with the team but it’s a weird move to not have this guy in the lineup over other guys

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC

giphy.gif

Reactions: breuk and mantha39

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
For People that don’t know

Svechnikov was not required to be waived for any reason, Khan.
Dude has been carrying water for years.

My guess is Svech is out of the lineup next game. He/Rasmussen looked pretty dumb double-covering the same guy on the Panthers' first goal yesterday, and I think it was more on Svech than Ras.

Reactions: Realgud

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Interesting.

At the start of the season I could understand this kind of move. It made sense to let him build some confidence in the AHL while getting top minutes.

given what he has shown since, albeit a limited sample size, I struggle to see how Svech isn’t one of our top 9 (or at least top 13 forwards). I guess he only has 1 goal/point in his last 6 games and received little ice time. Maybe Yzerman feels if blash isn’t going to use him he should get big minutes in the AHL?

All of that said, I assume Yzerman has done his due diligence with Svechnikov’s trade value and will clear waivers but I can’t help feeling a ome other team will make a claim on him this time around. I really don’t get this move now.

Could there be other moves coming? Seems to early for Bert to come of IR? Is a trade in the works? If so why not move someone else (Nielsen) to the taxi squad.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Svechnikov was not required to be waived for any reason, Khan.
Dude has been carrying water for years.

My guess is Svech is out of the lineup next game. He/Rasmussen looked pretty dumb double-covering the same guy on the Panthers' first goal yesterday, and I think it was more on Svech than Ras.
His point is that Svech has to go through waivers to get re-assigned to GR, and he is correct in that the rule is 10 games.

CBA:
13.2 The "Playing Season Waiver Period" shall begin on the twelfth (12th) day prior to the start of the Regular Season and end on the day following the last day of a Club's Playing Season. Subject to the provisions of this Article, the rights to the services of a Player may be Loaned to a club of another league, upon fulfillment of the following conditions, except when elsewhere expressly prohibited:

(a) Regular Waivers were requested and cleared during the Playing Season Waiver Period; and

(b) the Player has not played in ten (10) or more NHL Games cumulative since Regular Waivers on him were last cleared, and more than thirty (30) days cumulative on an NHL roster have not passed since Regular Waivers on him were last cleared.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Probably has something to do with reassigning him to the taxi squad as well.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Regardless of the logic or reason, we'll see if Svech is really an NHLer. If he is, he'll get claimed. Any team can make salary cap space for him by waiving any player since Svech makes less than $1.075M.

I would assume Stevie made calls to see if anyone was interested in a trade before making the move, but you never know.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
All of that said, I assume Yzerman has done his due diligence with Svechnikov’s trade value and will clear waivers but I can’t help feeling a ome other team will make a claim on him this time around. I really don’t get this move now.
If Carolina or any team wanted him, you'd think they would at least offer up "future considerations". Stevie would have to take it because it's better than nothing.

The only time a team doesn't offer up anything is if they're at the bottom, for example the Wings claiming Djoos. So maybe Buffalo or the Ducks take a flier at him, that's about the only scenario I can see.

Reactions: 14ari13

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad