Post-Game Talk: 19 January 2016 - The Invasion of the Blackhawk Fans

Status
Not open for further replies.

twig

Dec 8, 2013
There was an example there three Preds playing against one defenseman and have a chance to make a play but when the center passed the puck to his teammate it was behind his teammate and his teammate couldn't get it and then the puck went the other direction. The first thing this team can work on is working on passing the puck better to each other.

I was screaming at the tv.

preds1

Apr 2, 2010
TN
Can't pass and lots of low quality shots easily stopped. Same game-plan, different night.

twig

Dec 8, 2013
I don't know about the rest of you but, i don't think this coach is
getting it done.

roseyc

Mar 23, 2010
The Preds have been playing half a season now and they look like they didn't know each other at all....There is a disconnect with this team for some reason for whatever reason. The thing you now have to realize this that they overachieved last season and now they are underachieving.But I do agree Rinne is not the same and the time now is to try to get rid of him before it comes down they can't

klt2001

Mar 27, 2011
The Preds have been playing half a season now and they look like they didn't know each other at all....There is a disconnect with this team for some reason for whatever reason. The thing you now have to realize this that they overachieved last season and now they are underachieving.But I do agree Rinne is not the same and the time now is to try to get rid of him before it comes down they can't

Totally agree especially this part. They just aren't clicking as a team. That or they aren't adjusting to their opponents.

Last edited:

twig

Dec 8, 2013
Same coach as last year when they were getting it done. At a certain point the players just sucked.

I think it was more the other teams didn't know what to expect.
They've all seen the video sense.

Montross

Askarov.
Oct 4, 2013
Same coach as last year when they were getting it done. At a certain point the players just sucked.

Once again people hanging on to the first half of LAST season as if that is what this team has been the entire time.

This has been a very average to below-average team since that point. And with its aging, declining 7 million dollar goalie it is not going to get much better. It is just how it is folks. The real problem is how do they replace him, and how in the world do they get out from under that horrible contract.

klt2001

Mar 27, 2011
Also I think last year nobody was thinking we would be good especially after sucking two years in a row before that so they probably didn't know what to expect and weren't playing as hard or didn't adjust to our play at the beginning of last year but as the year went and we were one of the top teams and clicking as a team, they started to adjust and put more pressure or defend better which is probably why it was harder for us to win games at the end of last year, which seems to have carried over to this year.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
Once again people hanging on to the first half of LAST season as if that is what this team has been the entire time.

This has been a very average to below-average team since that point. And with its aging, declining 7 million dollar goalie it is not going to get much better. It is just how it is folks. The real problem is how do they replace him, and how in the world do they get out from under that horrible contract.

Look, I am not trying to defend anything that has happened this year- it has been incredibly disappointing and there is no denying it.

But just to play devil's advocate and as a point of clarification- last year it wasn't just the first half that we were good. We were 41-13-7 last year- that is 61 games, a lot more than just half the season. I just find it interesting that everyone is so willing to write the 61 game stretch off as a fluke but the current stretch of almost the same length is actually who we are. It is not so black and white- the answer is somewhere in the middle- we weren't as good as the 41-13 record and we aren't as bad as our current record indicates.

But having said that- don't get me wrong, I am not trying to be a sunshine pumper here because I am in 100% agreement that we are in big, big trouble......

klt2001

Mar 27, 2011
I still say though that last year the team was clicking or had more chemistry going than this year. This year they look disjointed.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
@drwpreds - save percentage from our goalie is biggest difference, plain and simple. rinne was having the best year of his career till his injury against the Canucks. this team has never been anything more than good without stellar goaltending. it's time for a major switch up in personnel.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
@drwpreds - save percentage from our goalie is biggest difference, plain and simple. rinne was having the best year of his career till his injury against the Canucks. this team has never been anything more than good without stellar goaltending. it's time for a major switch up in personnel.

Don't disagree at all that that is a major reason- but it doesn't explain everything. I truly believe that even if we had the .930 Pekka for this whole season our record still wouldn't be anywhere close to what it was last year. Just my opinion but I think it is a lot more than just Pekka.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
Don't disagree at all that that is a major reason- but it doesn't explain everything. I truly believe that even if we had the .930 Pekka for this whole season our record still wouldn't be anywhere close to what it was last year. Just my opinion but I think it is a lot more than just Pekka.

just think it's a worse case scenario on all parts. other than the scoring from defenseman. every forward has under performed mightily from forsberg to Wilson to smith etc. Neal may be the only one on pace with a decent total but that's only his goals scored. this excludes johansen. not to mention the repetitive senseless penalties we commit every night. PK has been awful as well as role players regressing and the secondary scoring being worse than last year. as hard as that is to believe. no top line like we had of forsberg/ribeiro/neal last year to carry the load offensively 75% of the season..

klt2001

Mar 27, 2011
just think it's a worse case scenario on all parts. other than the scoring from defenseman. every forward has under performed mightily from forsberg to Wilson to smith etc. Neal may be the only one on pace with a decent total but that's only his goals scored. this excludes johansen. not to mention the repetitive senseless penalties we commit every night. PK has been awful as well as role players regressing and the secondary scoring being worse than last year. as hard as that is to believe. no top line like we had of forsberg/ribeiro/neal last year to carry the load offensively 75% of the season..

Except maybe our top line, kind of hard for our forwards to score when our main strategy seems to be dump the puck, fight for it along the boards, and then pass the puck to the blueline to a defenseman who then shots it. Like to see our forwards be more creative and shot the puck themselves by doing a better job of getting into the interior/keeping the puck in the interior by passing to each other better or bringing it in effectively and then shooting it when near the net with traffic in front. Instead our forwards' efforts seem to get broken up every time by either bad passing or mishandling of the puck and it goes the other direction.

Last edited:

roseyc

Mar 23, 2010
Another thing is that our whole offense is primarily defenceman offensive that we get caught on that breakaway by Kane....As good as they are supposed to be they are not good defensively. They are aren't tough. We can't score enough or any to offset this strategy. I don't think it works in the long run even if we could score. To say we don't have talent is just not right ...Foresberg is very talented but you knew he was going to have a down year because that's the nature of the beast. But with Smith and Fisher and Wilson all having bad years it's putting so much pressure on the first line ...Rinne being a shell of himself it all adds up

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Except maybe our top line, kind of hard for our forwards to score when our main strategy seems to be dump the puck, fight for it along the boards, and then pass the puck to the blueline to a defenseman who then shots it. Like to see our forwards be more creative and do a better job of getting into the interior/keeping the puck in the interior by passing to each other or bringing it in effectively and then shooting it when near the net.

Part of that is due to poor play. Look no further than Forsberg who does nothing but skate around and lose the puck. Saw it several times tonight as well from others. When you are center ice between the dots it is not time to pass to someone with a far worse angle and scoring chance.

roseyc

Mar 23, 2010
Right now the Preds might or might not make the playoffs. Say they somehow get the last spot ...then first round knockout by the Hawks. This is where Rinne not being old Rinne would if we just get in then Rinne stands on his head and steal a first round series but not the Rinne we have now.

klt2001

Mar 27, 2011
We used to have a player behind the net pass the puck to someone standing low in the slot/in front the net to get some scoring chances/goals that way. Don't see us do much of that anymore like in the past. Like to see more of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce