Post-Game Talk: #19 | Flyers at Islanders | November 22, 2023 | Loss 3-2

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
In his post game comments, without naming names, Torts singled out "2-3 guys" who are going the wrong way and need to be better (roughly paraphrased)... he complimented Brink, so I wonder who he's talking about.

Cates didn't get much ice time in the third, nor did Deslauriers, Hathaway, or Staal. Laughton surprisingly only had shift in the third... same solitary shift as Deslauriers, which resulted in conceding the game winner. Wonder which 2-3 from that batch he's unhappy with. Laughton certainly has to be one.

On the flip side, the only forwards with more ice time than Atkinson in the third were TK.... and Poehling. :laugh: :help:

thedjpd

Sponsor
Dec 12, 2002
San Jose, CA
In his post game comments, without naming names, Torts singled out "2-3 guys" who are going the wrong way and need to be better (roughly paraphrased)... he complimented Brink, so I wonder who he's talking about.

Cates didn't get much ice time in the third, nor did Deslauriers, Hathaway, or Staal. Laughton surprisingly only had shift in the third... same solitary shift as Deslauriers, which resulted in conceding the game winner. Wonder which 2-3 from that batch he's unhappy with. Laughton certainly has to be one.

On the flip side, the only forwards with more ice time than Atkinson in the third were TK.... and Poehling. :laugh: :help:
Yeah, Laughton was benched in the 3rd. Only took 1 shift 2 mins in.

I'm no NHL head coach, but the solution here seems fairly simple to me.

Put Cates back at LW with Frost and Tippett. That line buzzed the year prior, it pushes up Cates offense as a puck digger to get it to Frost and Tippett. Seems pretty simple to me...

Then you can keep trying "Poehling" between Farabee and Brink. Let Foerster go down to the AHL for a bit to re-discover his scoring touch.

Last edited:
Reactions: BiggE

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009

Poehling is key. Almost 25, but Torts sees offensive upside and he is never wrong.

Lucky Frost didn't play, they may have had another point or two. York was good. Hart not so much.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
What a shit show. Just awful coaching.

Empty net strategy? DUMP N CHASE.
Give up possession. Yeah.

Then again....it was drawn up by the psychopath who took his shirt off and tried to fight a player.

Just cant enjoy this team when the same disfunction is clearly still present.

And you had to wait six games for this.

A one-goal loss to a desperate Islanders team (playing at home) doesn't erase the progress made this season.

Reminds me of some of the hiccup games New Jersey had last season with so many young players in the lineup.

Except the Flyers have Carter Hart

ybnvs

Mar 20, 2014
So it was a bad game to watch?

Yes, but not because Tortoweenie is the coach, because he's perfect in every way and never makes mistakes.

That Brink-Farabee-Hathaway line was top notch line juggling and I hope we get to see more lines with 3 wingers on it.

The first time they were deployed I kept scanning the ice surface for 14, 21, 25, or 27 and was convinced my eyes were playing tricks on me.

That's some serious 23478932D chess playing there. Leaps and bounds ahead of the rest of the league's coaches. The NHL isn't ready for Torts' super big galaxy brain coaching, but neither are most of you Torts-haters!

On a serious note, who holds the coach accountable when he's making larger mistakes than any of the players on the ice? Even Deslaurier is screwing it up less than Tortof***tard, and Desloppier is beyond putrid in every conceivable way imaginable.

Fight4yourRight

“Chuck’s my guy”
Dec 18, 2017

A one-goal loss to a desperate Islanders team (playing at home) doesn't erase the progress made this season.

Reminds me of some of the hiccup games New Jersey had last season with so many young players in the lineup.

1700749618689.gif

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Tomorrow is gonna be the game of the year for the organization after the reaction to the Rangers game last year. Everyone will be up for that.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey

Why do you continuously come in here and act like you understand this team more then the people here?

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
Yes, but not because Tortoweenie is the coach, because he's perfect in every way and never makes mistakes.

That Brink-Farabee-Hathaway line was top notch line juggling and I hope we get to see more lines with 3 wingers on it.

The first time they were deployed I kept scanning the ice surface for 14, 21, 25, or 27 and was convinced my eyes were playing tricks on me.

That's some serious 23478932D chess playing there. Leaps and bounds ahead of the rest of the league's coaches. The NHL isn't ready for Torts' super big galaxy brain coaching, but neither are most of you Torts-haters!

On a serious note, who holds the coach accountable when he's making larger mistakes than any of the players on the ice? Even Deslaurier is screwing it up less than Tortof***tard, and Desloppier is beyond putrid in every conceivable way imaginable.
Even by Torts’ standard, it really one of the worst coached games in terms of pure player deployment, I’ve seen in a long time. Wingers centering lines, odd 6-5 deployment decisions, and the overall ice time deployment…

18 min for Atkinson, Tippett, and Foerster; 17 for Poehling. 15 for Farabee, 12 for Brink…. In a game they were basically trailing the whole game.

Make it make sense, someone please

ybnvs

Mar 20, 2014
Even by Torts’ standard, it really one of the worst coached games in terms of pure player deployment, I’ve seen in a long time. Wingers centering lines, odd 6-5 deployment decisions, and the overall ice time deployment…

18 min for Atkinson, Tippett, and Foerster; 17 for Poehling. 15 for Farabee, 12 for Brink…. In a game they were basically trailing the whole game.

A RW rookie playing LW. Dumb.
A LW playing center (after a near-failed attempt before). Dumb.
A 4th line RW who has no business playing up the lineup with two wingers who should be on top 2 lines. Dumb.

But the coaching has been great so far!

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Why do you continuously come in here and act like you understand this team more then the people here?

I don't claim to know more about the team than all the people on here.

Having watched most of the team's games, and understanding the organizational philosophy (particularly seeing the success of franchises like Las Vegas, St. Louis and Tampa Bay employing similar strategies) it's hard to understand the logic behind those who bash every move the organization makes.

chadateit

Jan 11, 2021

Having watched most of the team's games, and understanding the organizational philosophy (particularly seeing the success of franchises like Las Vegas, St. Louis and Tampa Bay employing similar strategies) it's hard to understand the logic behind those who bash every move the organization makes.
I've watched all the games. I have no idea what the organizational strategy is. Please explain. Seems to me like we're trying to become the Lou led ny isles.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

I remember you doing this early last season and then they sucked ass. After you got all arrogant at people explaining in detail why you're wrong.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
I've watched all the games. I have no idea what the organizational strategy is. Please explain. Seems to me like we're trying to become the Lou led ny isles.

Strategy is pretty much what they've stated - build the team long-term while competing in the interim.

Not sure how the Islanders comparison is a thing.

Don't see anyone in the Islanders' pipeline comparable to players like Michkov, Gauthier, Bonk, etc.

And even looking at the AHL clubs, the Flyers have a lot more younger prospects than the Islanders have in Bridgeport.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

Vegas is built on having a big mobile defense, and this summer Torts and the Flyers tried to trade Sanheim for little old Torey Krug. :laugh:

I caught the end of the game being replayed on TV yesterday and the 6 on 5 lineup was so stupid I had to laugh. Reading about it on here was one thing, but actually seeing it was another.

Torts is already tired and is auditioning for his own healthy scratch? :huh:

Reactions: VladDrag

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
I LIKE
deslaurier........why..........because I like dark comedy, the darker the better.

Against my better judgement, I hope we are out played, out coached, and blown out by the Rangers.

Eat alot today and Happy Thanksgiving!
That said, it’ll be 5-1 Flyers with Nic getting a hatty.

The Laughton trade is going to be the Simmonds trade 2.0.
Trade Laughton to the Oilers, for his character, for a 6th pick in ‘26, LOL! #AssetManagenent

Reactions: macleish1974

chadateit

Jan 11, 2021
Strategy is pretty much what they've stated - build the team long-term while competing in the interim.

Not sure how the Islanders comparison is a thing.

Don't see anyone in the Islanders' pipeline comparable to players like Michkov, Gauthier, Bonk, etc.

And even looking at the AHL clubs, the Flyers have a lot more younger prospects than the Islanders have in Bridgeport.
The Isles are a team built from the 4th line out that tries to "try hard" their way through better competition. They've got one stud in Barzal, and a bunch of lesser talent. They'll never be a true contender as constructed. That's the comparison.

Michkov looks like true star potential. Gauthier is winger that does nothing particularly well, besides shoot from everywhere. I don't see any stud/star potential there. I see a potential decent top 6 winger if they find someone that can make space for him and get him the puck in scoring positions. Contenders have at least 3 guys better than he is going to be. Bonk is a dime a dozen prospect that every team in the NHL has. His upside is steady 2nd pair guy.

Reactions: Larry44

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
The Isles are a team built from the 4th line out that tries to "try hard" their way through better competition. They've got one stud in Barzal, and a bunch of lesser talent. They'll never be a true contender as constructed. That's the comparison.

Michkov looks like true star potential. Gauthier is winger that does nothing particularly well, besides shoot from everywhere. I don't see any stud/star potential there. I see a potential decent top 6 winger if they find someone that can make space for him and get him the puck in scoring positions. Contenders have at least 3 guys better than he is going to be. Bonk is a dime a dozen prospect that every team in the NHL has. His upside is steady 2nd pair guy.
Michkov does look like a potential star, maybe even at the Kucherov-Kaprizov level talent. He's a RW, Cutter looks like a scoring LW, really JVR2.0, although he's a bit thicker. I don't see him as a C.

For the rebuild to succeed, they need a 1C and a true 1D. Not easy to find, unless you draft early, such as:

Sportsnet's 2024 NHL Draft Prospect Rankings: November Edition

Need to get into the top 6 picks:

Our November rankings:

1. Macklin Celebrini, C, Boston University (NCAA): Celebrini's path is looking more and more like Adam Fantilli’s in that he's a freshman dominating the college ranks against older, more established competition.

Check out this kid, looks like Crosby's bastard son.

2. Cole Eiserman, LW, USNTDP: Despite a recent three-game goal-scoring drought, Eiserman has still filled the net at more than a goal per game rate.
3. Ivan Demidov, RW, SKA St. Petersburg (KHL): Demidov is highly competitive with hockey sense that makes him a reliable player in all three zones. Injury issues will keep him on the sidelines until the new year.
4. Berkly Catton, C, Spokane Chiefs (WHL): Catton is a serious threat off the rush by either taking it to the net or creating lanes to find the next-best scoring option.
5. Sam Dickinson, D, London Knights (OHL): Smooth, powerful skater who can transport the puck, initiate or support the rush.
6. Artyom Levshunov, D, Michigan State University (NCAA): Coveted package in a player who has moved from Belarus to the USHL and now to the NCAA, all while producing at a point/game rate.

Reactions: chadateit

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad