19 All-Star teams vs 2857 points

overpass

Jun 7, 2007
Bourque vs Gretzky!

No, I'm not arguing that Bourque was comparable to Gretzky overall. But I think in one major aspect, he may have surpassed the Great One. I'm speaking of regular season career value. That's why I titled the thread as I did - the focus is on regular season career only, not 92 goals, 215 points, or 4 Stanley Cups, or their overall resume. Gretzky certainly has the better playoff record and a better peak.

I'll take a basic statistical approach here, estimating their value at even strength, power play, and on the penalty kill over their career. For even strength, I'll simply use plus-minus, with shorthanded goals for and against estimated and removed. On special teams, I don't have any way to separate individual contribution from team contribution, so I'll simply use team goals above average on the penalty kill and on the power play. I think it's a fair assumption that these great players were the most responsible for their team's success in these areas. The exception to this is that I zeroed out Gretzky's penalty kill numbers later in his career, when his team was below average and he rarely killed penalties.

Here are the career numbers in goals above average, using these metrics.

Situation | Ray Bourque | Wayne Gretzky
Even Strength | 535 | 522
Power Play | 138 | 129
Penalty Kill | 147 | 131
Total | 820 | 782

Their numbers are remarkably close, but Ray Bourque comes out on top in every situation.

Why is this the case? A closer look reveals that Gretzky's numbers were far better during his 1980's peak, but Bourque made up a ton of ground and passed him during the 1990s.

From 1979-80 to 1987-88, during Gretzky's time in Edmonton:

Even Strength | 326 | 505
Power Play | 30 | 79
Penalty Kill | 88 | 131
Total | 444 | 715

And from 1988-89 on:

Even Strength | 209 | 17
Power Play | 108 | 50
Penalty Kill | 59 | 0
Total | 376 | 67

What do you think? Were Bourque's all-around contributions enough to match Gretzky's 2857 points? Also, I don't have the numbers to add Gordie Howe to this comparison, but where do you think he fits in here?

Methodological note: I could have added more adjustments for teammate strength (similar to adjusted plus-minus), or adjusted for league scoring level. I didn't for two reasons. One is that I didn't want to take the time for a quick comparison like this. The other is that every adjustment would benefit Bourque. By any measure he had weaker teammates than Gretzky over his career. Adjusting for scoring level would also reduce Gretzky's peak numbers from the 1980s, while boosting Bourque's numbers from the 1990s. I think my point is made even without those adjustments.

Also, I wouldn't use these crude team-based methods to rank most players, but with players like Bourque and Gretzky I think it's OK. I think it's definitely more accurate than a stat like points, which fails to capture much of the contribution that a defenceman like Bourque provided.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Kudos to Bourque, but let's not forget that #99 had 15 all-star selections himself. Only Bourque and Howe have more. This was at a tough center position with two selections opposed to defensemen who have 4.

Give me 2857 points and while we're at it, all due respect to Bourque, but give me Gretzky's 15 all-star selections over Bourque's 19

Oilers1*

Bourque vs Gretzky!

No, I'm not arguing that Bourque was comparable to Gretzky overall. But I think in one major aspect, he may have surpassed the Great One.

No, he didn't.

Seriously, though, as Big Phil pointed out; 2 center positions vs 4 defensemen in all-star voting.

Gretzky played in an era when the center position was pretty competitive, as well. Lemieux, Messier, Stastny, Sakic, Yzerman. . .and then there are second-tier guys (in comparison) who had some great seasons during HHOF careers; Oates, Francis, Gilmour, Forsberg, etc.

Blades of Glory

Troll Captain
Feb 12, 2006
California
No, he didn't.

Seriously, though, as Big Phil pointed out; 2 center positions vs 4 defensemen in all-star voting.

Gretzky played in an era when the center position was pretty competitive, as well. Lemieux, Messier, Stastny, Sakic, Yzerman. . .and then there are second-tier guys (in comparison) who had some great seasons during HHOF careers; Oates, Francis, Gilmour, Forsberg, etc.

Not that I disagree with you, but Bourque played against what was probably the greatest crop of defensemen to ever play together in the league at the same time. Chelios, MacInnis, Lidstrom, Coffey, Howe, Langway, Potvin, Robinson, Stevens, and Leetch.

Oilers1*

Not that I disagree with you, but Bourque played against what was probably the greatest crop of defensemen to ever play together in the league at the same time. Chelios, MacInnis, Lidstrom, Coffey, Howe, Langway, Potvin, Robinson, Stevens, and Leetch.

Yeah, but he could be the fourth best in that group, and still be an all-star.

Of course, no small feat in and off itself, but I think being one of two all-star centermen 15 times against Gretzky's contemporaries? More impressive, IMO.

Blades of Glory

Troll Captain
Feb 12, 2006
California
Bourque was a 1st team all-star 13 times, though.

He was a first team all-star at age 19, and a first team all-star at age 40. That is simply astounding. A first team all-star with a prime, Norris-winning Larry Robinson, and a first-team all-star with a prime, Norris-winning Nicklas Lidstrom. That's amazing.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Very Interesting

Bourque vs Gretzky!

No, I'm not arguing that Bourque was comparable to Gretzky overall. But I think in one major aspect, he may have surpassed the Great One. I'm speaking of regular season career value. That's why I titled the thread as I did - the focus is on regular season career only, not 92 goals, 215 points, or 4 Stanley Cups, or their overall resume. Gretzky certainly has the better playoff record and a better peak.

I'll take a basic statistical approach here, estimating their value at even strength, power play, and on the penalty kill over their career. For even strength, I'll simply use plus-minus, with shorthanded goals for and against estimated and removed. On special teams, I don't have any way to separate individual contribution from team contribution, so I'll simply use team goals above average on the penalty kill and on the power play. I think it's a fair assumption that these great players were the most responsible for their team's success in these areas. The exception to this is that I zeroed out Gretzky's penalty kill numbers later in his career, when his team was below average and he rarely killed penalties.

Here are the career numbers in goals above average, using these metrics.

Even Strength | 535 | 522
Power Play | 138 | 129
Penalty Kill | 147 | 131
Total | 820 | 782

Their numbers are remarkably close, but Ray Bourque comes out on top in every situation.

Why is this the case? A closer look reveals that Gretzky's numbers were far better during his 1980's peak, but Bourque made up a ton of ground and passed him during the 1990s.

From 1979-80 to 1987-88, during Gretzky's time in Edmonton:

Even Strength | 326 | 505
Power Play | 30 | 79
Penalty Kill | 88 | 131
Total | 444 | 715

And from 1988-89 on:

Even Strength | 209 | 17
Power Play | 108 | 50
Penalty Kill | 59 | 0
Total | 376 | 67

What do you think? Were Bourque's all-around contributions enough to match Gretzky's 2857 points? Also, I don't have the numbers to add Gordie Howe to this comparison, but where do you think he fits in here?

Methodological note: I could have added more adjustments for teammate strength (similar to adjusted plus-minus), or adjusted for league scoring level. I didn't for two reasons. One is that I didn't want to take the time for a quick comparison like this. The other is that every adjustment would benefit Bourque. By any measure he had weaker teammates than Gretzky over his career. Adjusting for scoring level would also reduce Gretzky's peak numbers from the 1980s, while boosting Bourque's numbers from the 1990s. I think my point is made even without those adjustments.

Also, I wouldn't use these crude team-based methods to rank most players, but with players like Bourque and Gretzky I think it's OK. I think it's definitely more accurate than a stat like points, which fails to capture much of the contribution that a defenceman like Bourque provided.

Very interesting, original initiative. Basically you are raising the value question of a d-man vs a forward.

Points generated or created is relatively straightforward. Points denied is rather tricky. How the two come together is very interesting.

Not sure about adjusting scoring levels having the impact you refer to. From a points denied viewpoint, hypothetically, Bourque may benefit significantly in the eighties. Rod Langway stood out for this reason because of the high scoring eighties while in the nineties, especially the second half such a d-man would not standout as there was very little room to further lower or deny points.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
The Hart trophy would be the closest measure of comparison given their different positions, of value to their teams:

Gretzky 9
Bourque 0

I watched both of them throughout their careers and am a HUGE Bourque fan but he's a mere mortal beside hockey god Gretzky. Next Nik Lidstrom vs. Mario Lemieux? It just isn't a comparison to be made.

overpass

Jun 7, 2007
The Hart trophy would be the closest measure of comparison given their different positions, of value to their teams:

Gretzky 9
Bourque 0

I watched both of them throughout their careers and am a HUGE Bourque fan but he's a mere mortal beside hockey god Gretzky. Next Nik Lidstrom vs. Mario Lemieux? It just isn't a comparison to be made.

The Hart trophy, as a measure of career value, has a very, very high threshold for positive value. If you aren't the best player in the league, you get zero. Is that really a good measure of value to one's team? 1 for the best player in the league, 0 for everyone else?

I'm sure you see the problems in applying such a measure to a player like Ray Bourque, who was rarely if ever the best in the league but top 5-10 forever. Ask the Boston Bruins if Ray Bourque's value over 20 years equaled zero.

BTW, Lidstrom's regular season value may very well be higher than Lemieux's, but that's not surprising. Everyone knows Lemieux is defined by his peak, not his career regular season value. But I thought the Gretzky-Bourque comparison was interesting because Gretzky gets a lot of credit for his career regular season numbers, especially 2857 points. Yet Bourque's career regular season value was probably similar.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I think a better comparison would be Bourque vs. Orr.

If you're building a team would you rather have

Bobby Orr - generational talent. The greatest defenseman of all-time and a top 3 player. You get him for 8 seasons.

Raymond Bourque - top 5 all-time defenseman. Not the greatest of all time, butunmatched when it comes to sustained excellence. You get an absolute rock, all-time great, #1 defenseman to anchor your team for 20 seasons.

Psycho Papa Joe

Porkchop Hoser
Feb 27, 2002
Cesspool, Ontario
Visit site
Threads like this make me believe Ray Bourque just might be the most overrated player in the history of the game. Great player, great d-man, and one of the most consistently good players from day 1 to the end I've ever seen, but comparing him to a Gretzky on level of play, be it regular season or playoffs is just completely assinine and I really don't give a crap how you spin the numbers.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Threads like this make me believe Ray Bourque just might be the most overrated player in the history of the game. Great player, great d-man, and one of the most consistently good players from day 1 to the end I've ever seen, but comparing him to a Gretzky on level of play, be it regular season or playoffs is just completely assinine and I really don't give a crap how you spin the numbers.

That's pretty narrow-minded. overpass just demonstrated how Bourque's combined offensive and defensive values were arguably better than that of Gretzky over their careers, in terms of the most critical element to wins and losses - goals.

Wouldn't you consider for a second that Gretzky had a skills package (not like most star forwards, mind you) that was dazzling and jumped out at you because it was offensive, while Bourque's skills were often more subtle?

This is a great example of things can be missed when focusing too hard on offensive numbers and not enough on overall impact.

This doesn't mean I am saying Bourque is better than Gretzky. Gretz has a peak that is second to none and is the finest playoff performer in history. But it was good food for thought and for you to come in here and pooh-pooh it with a non-argument like that is just disrespectful.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003

Agreed. And that should not be a slight to Bourque. Most of us watched both Bourque play as well as Gretzky in their careers. You hate to knock a guy like Bourque but let's just look at who we are comparing him to.

Spin the numbers all you like but at the end of the day Gretzky was voted MVP 9 times and Bourque had just one year where he could have won it and still did not (yes we all know the controversy, let's not rehash it). Bourque's best season might well have been 1990, or 1987. In '87 Gretzky won the Hart over him and there was no contest really. This is as close as I ever saw Bourque get in one of Gretzky's Hart seasons.

sveiglar

Feb 27, 2002
Bourque was a 1st team all-star 13 times, though.

Right, so from an All-Star team POV Bourque was judged as either the best or second best defenseman 13 times (best or second best among first team not distinguished), and Gretzky was judged as either the first or second best centre 15 times (8 first and 7 second). That's the more balanced comparison.

canucks4ever

Mar 4, 2008
Agreed. And that should not be a slight to Bourque. Most of us watched both Bourque play as well as Gretzky in their careers. You hate to knock a guy like Bourque but let's just look at who we are comparing him to.

Spin the numbers all you like but at the end of the day Gretzky was voted MVP 9 times and Bourque had just one year where he could have won it and still did not (yes we all know the controversy, let's not rehash it). Bourque's best season might well have been 1990, or 1987. In '87 Gretzky won the Hart over him and there was no contest really. This is as close as I ever saw Bourque get in one of Gretzky's Hart seasons.

Yeah but the thing is Gretzky wasn't the best player in 1989, Lemieux was. Marcel could have easily won the hart in 1980 too, they put up nearly identical totals and dionne gave simmer and taylor the best years of thier careers, without him they would just be average.

Topgoon

Aug 13, 2007
Toronto
For even strength, I'll simply use plus-minus, with shorthanded goals for and against estimated and removed. On special teams, I don't have any way to separate individual contribution from team contribution, so I'll simply use team goals above average on the penalty kill and on the power play.

So basically you're comparing the career plus/minus (with minus adjustments) + the PP/PK plus/minus of both players' entire teams? Why are you comparing it to the league average afterwards? If you were averaging everything against the league average I can understand, but you're simply using straight up +/- numbers for ES analysis.

I think it's a fair assumption that these great players were the most responsible for their team's success in these areas.

Debatable.

You're currently assuming that both players are responsible for 100% of their team's PP and SH offensive success. The +/- and PP breakdown of every season of every player is avaliable at hockey-reference.com, and I think that's more personalized.

You might want to consider using PGF (pplay goals for), which accounts for the amount of ppg scored when the player was on the ice.

For example:
1991-92,
Gretzky PGF = 65, LA Kings PGF = 79
Bourque PGF = 68, Boston PGF = 77

The aggregate amount of powerplay goals "for" each player:
Gretzky Career PGF = 1164
Bourque Career PGF = 1289

I dug up some numbers for you

Wayne Gretzky
Year Ending
TGF PGF TGA PGA
1980 155 42 116 18
1981 207 67 116 17
1982 265 75 123 14
1983 236 77 134 35
1984 249 70 134 31
1985 249 61 127 37
1986 260 69 162 42
1987 227 64 120 27
1988 172 55 99 21
1989 213 72 169 43
1990 181 59 153 39
1991 200 70 110 10
1992 151 65 114 16
1993 90 36 60 12
1994 162 78 138 29
1995 63 29 70 16
1996 124 55 101 19
1997 125 41 83 11
1998 110 41 85 5
1999 81 38 71 5
Totals 3520 1164 2285 447

Ray Bourque
Year Ending
TGF PGF TGA PGA
1980 162 50 82 22
1981 128 47 87 35
1982 139 43 96 22
1983 150 53 73 25
1984 187 66 92 22
1985 167 58 114 35
1986 169 76 122 46
1987 163 54 109 34
1988 120 46 83 29
1989 170 75 97 33
1990 173 66 106 32
1991 160 68 122 41
1992 187 76 114 41
1993 187 76 114 41
1994 171 79 97 31
1995 82 42 56 19
1996 176 61 127 43
1997 101 29 111 28
1998 117 54 87 26
1999 115 59 84 21
2000 110 47 97 32
2001 142 64 90 37
Totals 3276 1289 2160 695

I'm not sure what all this is suppose to prove as what you've done is just adjusting the +/- of both players, but maybe this can help you further expand on your point.

overpass

Jun 7, 2007
So basically you're comparing the career plus/minus (with minus adjustments) + the PP/PK plus/minus of both players' entire teams? Why are you comparing it to the league average afterwards? If you were averaging everything against the league average I can understand, but you're simply using straight up +/- numbers for ES analysis.

Straight up +/- numbers are implicitly compared to the league average, as the league average is zero.

The league average adjustment for the PP/PK units neutralizes the differential in penalties taken and penalties drawn by the team. While Gretzky and Bourque should possibly get credit for that, I think 0% credit is a better assumption than 100% credit in this area.

Debatable.

You're currently assuming that both players are responsible for 100% of their team's PP and SH offensive success. The +/- and PP breakdown of every season of every player is avaliable at hockey-reference.com, and I think that's more personalized.

You might want to consider using PGF (pplay goals for), which accounts for the amount of ppg scored when the player was on the ice.

For example:
1991-92,
Gretzky PGF = 65, LA Kings PGF = 79
Bourque PGF = 68, Boston PGF = 77

I'm aware of those numbers, thanks. I considered the method you propose, but remember that I'm estimating value above league average. IMO, for a simple analysis like this, it's a reasonable assumption to assume that their special teams gained all their value above average with Bourque/Gretzky on the ice, and were league average with them off the ice. Given that we know that Gretzky and Bourque were great players, I think it's a more reasonable assumption than giving equal credit for team success to the second units.

I'm not sure what all this is suppose to prove as what you've done is just adjusting the +/- of both players, but maybe this can help you further expand on your point.

The point is to estimate individual value with measures that are directly tie to team success in the regular season. Perhaps you fail to appreciate the value of +/-. More than any other statistic, it gets at the point of the game - to outscore the other team. Over a 20 year career random variation evens out, and quality shows. Admittedly, teammate effects and competition effects may exist. But my assumption, in this comparison, is that neither effect favors Gretzky. Would you disagree?

Last edited:

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Right, so from an All-Star team POV Bourque was judged as either the best or second best defenseman 13 times (best or second best among first team not distinguished), and Gretzky was judged as either the first or second best centre 15 times (8 first and 7 second). That's the more balanced comparison.

No it's not. there are two defensemen on the ice at any time, and one center. it's not "easier" to make the all-star team as a defenseman.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Yeah but the thing is Gretzky wasn't the best player in 1989, Lemieux was. Marcel could have easily won the hart in 1980 too, they put up nearly identical totals and dionne gave simmer and taylor the best years of thier careers, without him they would just be average.

This was the first year that Mario finally caught up with Gretzky and arguably surpassed him. While I would have likely picked Mario to win the Hart in '89 I can also see why Gretzky won it with a worse supporting cast.

But as for 1980, it's no contest for me. Gretzky won it, and deserved it. He had 137 points and his next best teammate was Blair MacDonald who had 94. What happened to Blair after that? He left Edmonton and the next three years of his career managed to score 45 goals in total before dropping out of the NHL in 1983. People forget, that it wasn't until the 1981-'82 season where Gretzky actually had a good team alongside of him.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
No it's not. there are two defensemen on the ice at any time, and one center. it's not "easier" to make the all-star team as a defenseman.

Actually, I thought he had a good point. Proportionally, you are correct of course - there are twice as many impact defensemen in the league as centers (I'm discounting 4th lines here).

But I do think it's easier to make the all-star team as a defenseman. For one, there are 2 spots on the First Team - so a career year by the competition doesn't automatically knock you down to second.

Also, a disproportionate number of the best players in hockey become centers due to the nature of the position. There's a reason that 30-40% of the Top 100 list are centers (I forget the actual number).

And then look at who they were actually competing against for the spots. Gretzky was competing against Mario Lemieux in the second half of his career. Bourque was facing many excellent defensemen, but nobody on that level.

Topgoon

Aug 13, 2007
Toronto
Straight up +/- numbers are implicitly compared to the league average, as the league average is zero.

Ah I see now. My bad.

The league average adjustment for the PP/PK units neutralizes the differential in penalties taken and penalties drawn by the team. While Gretzky and Bourque should possibly get credit for that, I think 0% credit is a better assumption than 100% credit in this area.

Can you elaborate on this? This sounds like a very interest and smart metric but I can't seem to figure out the math behind it.

The point is to estimate individual value with measures that are directly tie to team success in the regular season. Perhaps you fail to appreciate the value of +/-. More than any other statistic, it gets at the point of the game - to outscore the other team.

I've always considered +/- a team statistic, but you do make a great point that when it comes to players like Gretzky and Bourque, they're more so responsible for it than most players we name today. So in this case, you're probably completely right.

Over a 20 year career random variation evens out, and quality shows. Admittedly, teammate effects and competition effects may exist. But my assumption, in this comparison, is that neither effect favors Gretzky. Would you disagree?

Nope.

I think this is a very interesting quantitative study, would love to see it expanded

lextune

I'm too old for this.
Jun 9, 2008
New Hampshire
A very interesting post.

I am certainly one of Bubba's biggest supporters. I made it a personal crusade to see Bourque get into the top ten in our section's Top 100 debate, lol. I quite literally saw Ray's entire career. Virtually every game he ever played, hundreds of those being live at the Garden.

With all that being said I still give the edge to Gretz. But I do appreciate the study, and what it can do towards showing the true force that Bourque was for those who didn't have the pleasure of seeing his career unfold.

The edge to 99 is distinct, despite him being blessed with a far superior supporting cast for many of his seasons, but Ray coming in as one of the top ten players in history is still pretty good :P

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad