GDT: '19-'20 STANLEY CUP THREAD

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Or the one whose players find a way around the testing. When it's all said and done, and something leaks about this or that player playing while having C19, I wouldn't be surprised and it would just get chalked off as inaccurate testing.

I would be very surprised from a liability standpoint if this isn't done by a third party.

In fact if I am the PA and NHL, there is no way this is handled by a team or either of our organizations. This should be contracted out, same way they handle the lottery and other issues. You cannot have that appearance even for a second.

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
My problem with this playoff proposal, is what happens with a team that has an outbreak?

Not everyone, but if two players on the team have Covid, will that team be allowed to play?

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
My problem with this playoff proposal, is what happens with a team that has an outbreak?

Not everyone, but if two players on the team have Covid, will that team be allowed to play?

My guess is with expanded rosters because of no AHL, they are going to carry bigger squads. We will have to see as the numbers they previously announced are a little light for that. We have not seen that be the case thus far in European soccer.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease

Yeah, exactly.

You'd think at this point we'd know the plan for that. They must have some kind of internal protocol, but I'm sure they don't want to reveal anything they don't have to. But for a fan, it's a bit frustrating how slowly they are trickling out this information.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Yeah, exactly.

You'd think at this point we'd know the plan for that. They must have some kind of internal protocol, but I'm sure they don't want to reveal anything they don't have to. But for a fan, it's a bit frustrating how slowly they are trickling out this information.

I think you can look to the pro leagues that have started for an explanation on some of this stuff. Thus far most of the confirmed cases have been in the run into playing in most of these leagues and they were quickly separated and quarantined. Will that model work here? Hard to say, but I don't think they are starting from a point of it cannot.

You also are not going to hear much once it is happening because of Hipaa laws. In a league that has lied to us for years about injuries (I really thought legalized gambling would force this change) I don't expect you're going to hear much in a meaningful way on this. If you're waiting on it, I think you're going to be waiting a very long time.

Reactions: Voodoo Glow Skulls

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
You also are not going to hear much once it is happening because of Hipaa laws. In a league that has lied to us for years about injuries (I really thought legalized gambling would force this change) I don't expect you're going to hear much in a meaningful way on this. If you're waiting on it, I think you're going to be waiting a very long time.

Very true. Although we sure found out quickly about Zeke Elliot on the Cowboys.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Very true. Although we sure found out quickly about Zeke Elliot on the Cowboys.

I think that was awful.

I honestly hope Elliot finds out the sources of that and sues the crap out of them. I am not really even a litigious person by nature, but man is that soooo far out of bounds.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Wasn't it his agent that confirmed it?

It was circulating on social media and with a bunch of news sources were calling about it to the degree they stopped denying it because it sounded like they felt their hand was forced. Not everything should be fair game in my opinion.

Which is likely a part of this, we don't know a single identity of a person in the NHL. I don't think we are likely to and I would be surprised if it reached the level where a shutdown would be dictated for a team as some are proposing, especially if they do wind up carrying really 35 or so players. The guys in European soccer have been sent away to quarantine with continuous testing and we have not seen what people are discussing here.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
(Jimi Hendrix): "Peebles, Peeples, Peoples".

1. We swept the MTL season series, we're not as far off as we thought we were, but still pretty far off: 1A/B LD, 2C, 1G, etc. etc. A few kids will get a shot at a spot.
2. Maybe see an UFA/Draft trade/RFA trade
/#capdumpweaponizedcapspacetradechip.
3. Lindstrom should be 6D. Biega 7D/GR.
4. Hope Ras & Svech grabs a spot & has a great camp/ eye test etc. Veleno grabbing a spot (1 yr. early), would be sweet.
5. need a Quantum Leap from a: McIssac, then next yr. Tuomisto & Johansson.
6. Dark Horses like Soderblom, Mastrosimone,
7. Lottery & Draft.
8. draft day surprises by SY & Co.
9. The Void, any team(s)/scenarios as opp. for The Yzerplan.
10. Mo Seider. Every time he lays a big hit/big play, Wings DJ plays "Welcome To Moe's!".
11. Bert/Mantha/Fabbri getting team friendly deals..
12. Late in the 20-21 season we get to see a Bertuzzi-Veleno-Fabbri 2nd line. Good chemistry, solid 2way scoring line (eventually).

Last edited:

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
I don't care if they are playing the game in empty arenas and calling it a playoff, I just don't want it to interfere with a fresh start next season starting with regular scheduled training camp.

These "playoffs" are not worth the risk of possibly delaying 2021/22 full 82 game regular season + real playoffs.

Reactions: GMR

bedtime20

nap nap
Nov 30, 2018
Metro Detroit
July 10th training camp start date & late July/early August Playoffs start confirmed by the league.

NHL training camps for Stanley Cup Qualifiers to open July 10

So much to discuss, so many story lines...

EAST
Return to Play: Eastern Conference

My picks for preliminaries: Isles, Caners, Pens, Leafs.

I wanna see the Isles & Rangers win their play-ins regardless, but I think Canes D is too deep & ends up winning, though Lundquist/Geo/Shesterkin could be the story of that series. FLA & Bob could rebound & salvage his year. Isles in 7, Canes in 7.

I wanna see the Habs win (but not at the expense of ensuring the Pens have a lottery shot), but also because I loathe PITT. However I believe Pens will win in 6 & have no shot at the lottery. Leafs over CBJ in 6.

1.TBL 2. BOS 3.PHI 4.WSH

WEST
Return to Play: Western Conference

My picks for preliminaries: EDM in 6, NSH in 6, VAN in 7, WPG in 7. the WPG/CGY series should be great.

1.STL 2.COL 3.VGK 4.DAL

Assuming relatively good health for both teams, TBL over STL in 7 for the CUP.

NHL ranks the Top 16 G's:
View attachment 350227
Holtby>Rask Whoever makes these lists is stupid. Price is not better than Holtby. But these are going to be some fun playoffs to watch!

lidstromiscool

May 5, 2007
I don't care if they are playing the game in empty arenas and calling it a playoff, I just don't want it to interfere with a fresh start next season starting with regular scheduled training camp.

These "playoffs" are not worth the risk of possibly delaying 2021/22 full 82 game regular season + real playoffs.
I think a part of this playoffs is to see how feasible it would be to have next season without fans. I hate to say it, but next season is already delayed. But I see that it makes sense to start in January if you can have fans versus October with no fans. It really sucks cause none of us thought in March that we were watching the last Red Wings game for nine months give or take.

Reactions: 14ari13

K1900L

Dec 27, 2019
It worked out very well in Europe, for example in the Bundesliga in Germany, and they didn't even have hub cities but just played in their regular stadiums. Both the US and Canada are far bigger and less densed.
If the NHL is able to find areas where the infections are low to non-existent, one should be able to pull it off easily if testing is done and players/staff stay disciplined.

I will get used to the fact that no fans are allowed. Does it suck? Certainly, but I personally believe that the high level of hockey will make up for it. I can't wait to see games like Chicago-Edmonton, it will be fantastic: teams like Chicago who didn't even expect to make it to the playoffs now get a chance to show their quality again and will step up their game with guys like Kane, while teams like Edmonton are pissed that they have to go for the Qualifying Round after having played a good season. Can't wait to see angry Kassian hunting down Blackhawks and I can't wait to see what a rested McDavid/Draisaitl can do after having been on a way to a 300-point-season after the first 15 games.

Don't like it? Don't watch it.

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
It worked out very well in Europe, for example in the Bundesliga in Germany, and they didn't even have hub cities but just played in their regular stadiums. Both the US and Canada are far bigger and less densed.
If the NHL is able to find areas where the infections are low to non-existent, one should be able to pull it off easily if testing is done and players/staff stay disciplined.

I will get used to the fact that no fans are allowed. Does it suck? Certainly, but I personally believe that the high level of hockey will make up for it. I can't wait to see games like Chicago-Edmonton, it will be fantastic: teams like Chicago who didn't even expect to make it to the playoffs now get a chance to show their quality again and will step up their game with guys like Kane, while teams like Edmonton are pissed that they have to go for the Qualifying Round after having played a good season. Can't wait to see angry Kassian hunting down Blackhawks and I can't wait to see what a rested McDavid/Draisaitl can do after having been on a way to a 300-point-season after the first 15 games.

Don't like it? Don't watch it.
High level of hockey? We're talking about a long layoff and a limited training camp, with limited team chemistry. Just putting them out there in an empty arena and saying, "OK boys, the playoffs have begun" is not going to magically result in a high level of hockey. Teams don't play at a high level in October. This is no different than if the playoffs just started in October one season. Teams would look sloppy.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I see this as being two irreconcilable camps: those who don't want a sloppy bastardized version of the playoffs, and those who want any vague semblance of hockey, regardless of the compromises.

But it's definitely going to be a different product. No way around that.

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
I don't see what the rub is. It's still a competition with full playoff series (yeah I read the arguments against, so let's not rehash). I mean, if the Wings were in this and pulled off a Cup victory would you be saying, "oh no, I musn't celebrate this questionable victory"?

If Tampa wins we can nullify it. Man, do I dislike Tampa.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
I see this as being two irreconcilable camps: those who don't want a sloppy bastardized version of the playoffs, and those who want any vague semblance of hockey, regardless of the compromises.

Actually I want any vague semblance of hockey, but it's hard to really take this seriously as the Stanley Cup playoffs.

But at this point I'd still watch even if the players were using wrong-handed sticks and the puck was replaced with a ball of yarn.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
High level of hockey? We're talking about a long layoff and a limited training camp, with limited team chemistry. Just putting them out there in an empty arena and saying, "OK boys, the playoffs have begun" is not going to magically result in a high level of hockey. Teams don't play at a high level in October. This is no different than if the playoffs just started in October one season. Teams would look sloppy.
We're talking about the best players in the world still. They literally are the highest level of hockey players.

You're boxing yourself in by hypotheticals of what you THINK will happen. Everything in a negative light. I'm sure if half of every team has groin injuries it will be a shitty playoffs. I doubt that happens though, that's the difference between our opinions, you're dismissing anything other than "THESE AREN'T THE PLAYOFFS f*** THIS SHIT"

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA
Personally, I can't wait. I miss hockey, even if it's not played under normal circumstances. Not too worried about the quality once teams get a few games under their belts. The biggest difference will be the loss of home advantage. Will be interesting to see how that affects teams.

Reactions: Snuggs and Ezekial

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
Do explain, good sir.

This statement does not go beyond pathological disdain of Tampa. I'm emphasizing "pathological". They've never had a player I disliked and, for the most part, have not beaten any team I like in heartbreaking fashion.

I really have no legitimate reason for them to draw my ire the way they do. Not even Stevey Y as GM could sway me, though. I rooted for Chicago when they met in the finals and that makes me feel greezy....oy.

The one legit gripe I have is that they try to suppress people from wearing opposing team's jerseys in their arena. Not sure if that's the case, but if you have a solid fanbase that shouldn't be a concern.

That was a longer response then it should have been. I guess I needed to get my Tampa angst out!

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

We will see, I watch a lot of different leagues, many without near the production the NHL puts into it. Honestly some of my favorite hockey outside of the NHL is streaming prospect stuff that has almost nobody in the stands like the 5 nation tournaments. Is it startling to hear the players talk more and the on ice sounds. It can be different, but really it is still hockey. These guys will compete like crazy fans or not. On broadcasts which are all we will see, they will likely put in sound. I think there will be some rust, but the three week training camp and opening play-in round should knock almost all of it off. Given that we actually will have most players really as healthy as they can be, it might actually be an even crazier brand, especially since I think systems will struggle a little defensively at first if there is a draw back in the play.

I guess until we see it we won't know. But the best hockey players in the world are likely to put on a pretty good show. I don't spend much time watching what is going on outside of the ice surface so I am excited to see it. That is how I have felt about watching European soccer, about 10 minutes in I barely notice the difference.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad