186th Overall - Mackenze Stewart

Status
Not open for further replies.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
lol fan isn't even aware of what the scouts said about Stewart and he's in here defending him

IntangiBo

Aug 15, 2014
And Archibald was PPG in junior. He's 10 times the player Stewart is.

Dana Murzyn was over a ppg in his last year of Jr.

It's hard to believe anyone spends any time debating Stewart. I feel for some of you guys.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
While stunned wasn't the exact word used, scouts basically were stunned that he was drafted.

http://canucksarmy.com/2015/5/12/canucks-sign-mackenze-stewart-to-elc-first-impressions

Yeah, I think a lot of the people trying to defend this pick really don't follow junior hockey or the draft very closely.

It was probably the biggest 'what the f?' pick I've seen out of the WHL in the last decade and the worst WHL player (by a fair margin) I've seen get an NHL contract.

drax0s

Mar 18, 2014
Vancouver, BC.
Yeah, I think a lot of the people trying to defend this pick really don't follow junior hockey or the draft very closely.

It was probably the biggest 'what the f?' pick I've seen out of the WHL in the last decade and the worst WHL player (by a fair margin) I've seen get an NHL contract.
Is anyone actually in here actually defending the pick or is that a straw man argument? I'm personally just surprised at the vitriol that a 7th round pick has spawned and don't see the point in all the hand-wringing. I haven't seen anyone say "Yeah, this is a great pick and I like it!".

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Is anyone actually in here actually defending the pick or is that a straw man argument? I'm personally just surprised at the vitriol that a 7th round pick has spawned and don't see the point in all the hand-wringing. I haven't seen anyone say "Yeah, this is a great pick and I like it!".

There are 2 posters (DL44 and F A N) defending the pick just in the last couple pages. There are more who claim 'Oh, most 7th round picks don't turn out anyway. What's everyone so upset about?'

What everyone's so upset about isn't that we wasted a #7 pick, it's what it means about our scouting and scouting processes in general that such an atrocious/bizarre pick of such a bad player could be allowed to happen.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Dana Murzyn was over a ppg in his last year of Jr.

It's hard to believe anyone spends any time debating Stewart. I feel for some of you guys.

Agreed... there is no need to continue to justify the selection considering the path he's been on since his draft.

Just leave that alone... just prompts rebuttal posts like this last page going over the same old sh**.

For me.. He's still Canuck property.. and i have interest in following the kid's season.

I would like to see regular updates on his season in this thread without it being followed up by a page of how crappy and useless the pick is. Everyone gets it by now.

Summary - It was a 7th round pick based on a backstory of perseverance and determination overcoming a disability. He has little to no hope of being an NHL player. It was a throwaway pick in terms of future NHL on-ice potential.

That is all essentially known. Fine. Got it.

Now i would this thread to revert back to following this 2 game goal scoring streak please.

drax0s

Mar 18, 2014
Vancouver, BC.
There are 2 posters (DL44 and F A N) defending the pick just in the last couple pages. There are more who claim 'Oh, most 7th round picks don't turn out anyway. What's everyone so upset about?'

What everyone's so upset about isn't that we wasted a #7 pick, it's what it means about our scouting and scouting processes in general that such an atrocious/bizarre pick of such a bad player could be allowed to happen.
I still don't see why it's such a blatantly wasted pick, tbh. With a 7th round pick, you are betting on a flawed player who has some elements of skill and hope that his drive helps him overcome his deficiencies. Small player with puck skill, hoping they can overcome their lack of size. Slow player with hockey sense who can overcome his lack of speed.

Stewart is a good skater, has size and definitely has proven he has the drive to overcome adversity. If his tools and innate drive are not enough to overcome his weaker puck skills and hockey sense because he started the game too late -- so be it. He's a 7th round pick that didn't work out. The contract slot is a bit weird, admittedly, but I don't think I've seen anyone defend that move.

He's definitely a long shot unlikely to make it, but all 7th round picks are. I just don't get all the vitriol. It's not like we drafted him in the 2nd round.

coldsteel79

Sep 28, 2015
sask
What's the diff from picking Stewart at 7th or giving him a tryout option, I'd be mad if they had a "better" target for the 7th pick but most likely whoever else they were targeting probably didn't get drafted anyway.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
What's the diff from picking Stewart at 7th or giving him a tryout option, I'd be mad if they had a "better" target for the 7th pick but most likely whoever else they were targeting probably didn't get drafted anyway.

It was bad we wasted a draft pick on him, though the probability of a 7th rounder ever making the NHL is extremely low. There were other talented players available who we passed on (Ondrej Kase, Spencer Watson as two examples). The biggest issue is wasting of 1 of 50 contract spots on this useless prospect.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Here's Tri-city's remaining schedule...

No stops remaining in Vancouver... Next game in Victoria tho.

Fri Feb 5 Victoria 0 Tri-City
Sat Feb 6 Spokane 0 Tri-City 0
Wed Feb 10 Tri-City 0 Kootenay 0
Fri Feb 12 Tri-City 0 Lethbridge 0
Sat Feb 13 Tri-City 0 Red Deer 0
Mon Feb 15 Tri-City 0 Edmonton 0
Fri Feb 19 Everett 0 Tri-City 0
Sat Feb 20 Tri-City 0 Spokane 0
Tue Feb 23 Prince George 0 Tri-City 0
Fri Feb 26 Seattle 0 Tri-City 0
Sat Feb 27 Prince George 0 Tri-City 0
Sun Feb 28 Tri-City 0 Everett 0
Tue Mar 1 Tri-City 0 Seattle 0
Fri Mar 4 Tri-City 0 Portland 0
Sat Mar 5 Tri-City 0 Everett 0
Sun Mar 6 Seattle 0 Tri-City 0
Tue Mar 8 Kamloops 0 Tri-City 0
Fri Mar 11 Tri-City 0 Spokane 0
Sat Mar 12 Everett 0 Tri-City 0
Sun Mar 13 Kelowna 0 Tri-City 0
Fri Mar 18 Seattle 0 Tri-City 0
Sat Mar 19 Spokane 0 Tri-City 0

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012

I just wish this team cared about drafting skill. I want guys like palat or holmstrom in the 7th round, not scrum hero's

drax0s

Mar 18, 2014
Vancouver, BC.
I just wish this team cared about drafting skill. I want guys like palat or holmstrom in the 7th round, not scrum hero's
They do sometimes? Zhukenov & Jasek are both skill players. They just went skating, size and drive with this pick?

Last edited:

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC
The pick was bizarre, I think that's clear but sure, you can make a case for it and if you're going to take a chance the 7th round is when you do it.

But to then give a contract to him...with where he was in his development. Taken together, that's indicative of Benning's judgement and why a 7th round pick that was admittedly a flyer, does nothing to warrant any faith in his future and then gets a professional contract that then proves to be a bone-head maneuver is eliciting such a reaction.

WhoseLainesItAnyway

Sep 20, 2014
Remind me to bump this thread when Mac Stew becomes captain of the NHL All-Star team in 2025.

All you pedantic curmudgeons polluting this thread better be prepared for a truck load of crow :nod:

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
You could pick anyone off the street and they could have 2 of those things, and could work on their skating well enough to probably be better than Stewart.

Don't know why you have to resort to hyperbolic levels to disparage the kid.
His numbers will do that for enough to make your point.

That's just a dick thing to say.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Don't know why you have to resort to hyperbolic levels to disparage the kid.
His numbers will do that for enough to make your point.

That's just a dick thing to say.

Not just disparaging the kid. If the only reason Benning drafted him is because he's big, he tries hard, and he can skate...well you literally could find someone like that to come in off the street.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria

if Mack Stew says something predictive about our scouting and scouting processes, why does what it says over rule what every other pick (save Petit) say about the same process?

I mean if your biggest beef with this pick and signing is what it says about this regimes process, then all the rest of the evidence should ease your mind, no? This is such a :deadhorse at this point, that complaining about the pick/signing should now be considered spam and/or trolling unless it's in the gripe thread. Let it go, it's been a year and a half already.

2 goals in 2 games, looks like he's finding his groove. :)

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
You obviously made that up. No pro scout would be "stunned" when a 6'4" player who can fight gets drafted in the 7th round.

Right, and Archibald, who wasn't a fighter in juniors, led the team last year in fights. Again "I don't see a problem with having a "crash and bang" winger in the system, under team control, and not subject to waivers for a while." Gillis tried to develop his own too (Volpatti) and lost him when he was subject to waivers.

You really need to wrap your head around the massive gap between a pretty bad WHL player and a pretty bad NHL player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad