Prospect Info: #183OA - Hurricanes Select C Blake Murray

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
We haven't even reached the conclusion of the 20-21 season yet and we've already got two '19 guys in the later rounds already inked. That's pretty damn impressive, here's hoping he's a 3C in the making.

Yes. Suzuki, Kochetkov, Rees, Tieksola, and Murray all ELCed. We have until 2023 to lock in Fensore/Honka/Puistola/Wall, as well. Webber in 2024, Rizzo (I believe) in 2025 since he is a NCAA transfer to UDenver that starts this season, and Slepets with indefinite rights.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
The Canes and the Lightning farm systems, in particular, have a really long incubation period unless you're an NHL 1%er like Svechnikov. They're both ideal spots for guys that need a little more time like Blake. He's certainly got a lot of goal-scoring chops compared to the typical 6th rounder, so that's a really nice touch.

And that's more of a recent phenomena. Our more prevalent history is to rush our draft picks (see Lindholm, Elias). So it is a breath of fresh air to 1) have more picks that seem to have real upside as prospects, and 2) have the luxury because of our current roster, to let these guys marinate at the lower levels.

A couple of noticeable omissions that I saw in these discussions: Noel Gunler, Ronan Seeley, Alexander Pashin, and Dominik Bokk. I'm pretty high on Seeley and think he's got as good a shot as any to eventually crack the bigs.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
Our more prevalent history is to rush our draft picks (see Lindholm, Elias).

During the JR era and the early parts of the Francis era, that was certainly the case. As Francis progressively brought his own people in and as our mid-round drafting got as good as it is today, however, the development became more like how I described.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
During the JR era and the early parts of the Francis era, that was certainly the case. As Francis progressively brought his own people in and as our mid-round drafting got as good as it is today, however, the development became more like how I described.
Yup, but when you go back and review Lindholm and Hanifin are probably the two most notable. If not for the lockout, I shudder to think about their handling of Eric Staal. That season in Lowell was probably the most important stretch for his overall early development. In truth, for most of the JR era, our drafting was so poor that few were actually good enough to rush. Still, it was a JR thing for sure....in some cases it was probably more of a financial decision than anything.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Francis was absolutely great in establishing the foundation for a franchise that can contend for a long stretch of time. We started a process of stockpiling talent back then in a way that we've only learned from and doubled down on now. I'll say one thing, Seattle is in good hands, they might not contend right away like Vegas was able to do, but give them 5 years and they'll be ready to make some noise.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Francis was absolutely great in establishing the foundation for a franchise that can contend for a long stretch of time. We started a process of stockpiling talent back then in a way that we've only learned from and doubled down on now. I'll say one thing, Seattle is in good hands, they might not contend right away like Vegas was able to do, but give them 5 years and they'll be ready to make some noise.

Or maybe they do contend right away, who knows.

Francis seems like a sharp guy and while he may not have gelled with Dundon, there's no telling necessarily how much of the "patience" from Francis was borne out of necessity under Karmanos.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I think another advantage Francis has, is that he has Vegas's recent history to use when considering how to approach this expansion draft. He can see first hand what worked and didn't work and use that information when deciding what moves to make on his own.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I think another advantage Francis has, is that he has Vegas's recent history to use when considering how to approach this expansion draft. He can see first hand what worked and didn't work and use that information when deciding what moves to make on his own.
He won't have all the same types of opportunities because the other GMs likely learned a lesson or two as well. There will be no Floridas this expansion, I'm sure. But that said, he has "flat cap hell" on his side which Vegas didn't. That will give him some opportunities that are different.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
He won't have all the same types of opportunities because the other GMs likely learned a lesson or two as well. There will be no Floridas this expansion, I'm sure. But that said, he has "flat cap hell" on his side which Vegas didn't. That will give him some opportunities that are different.

True. Thankfully, Carolina is in good salary cap shape as long as they hold the Hamilton offer strong and don't overpay at the last minute to protect him before expansion. The flat cap will be more of an impediment to teams with lots of bad contracts (Vancouver) or fully capped-out clubs like Toronto and Tampa. A part of me just knows, however, that Tampa will always find a way to keep the majority of their core and almost all of their "next brass", because they always do find a way.

Reactions: MinJaBen and DaveG

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006

True, but as we've seen, there is no shortage of bad moves GMs (and owners) make and I was thinking like you, that the "flat cap hell" is something he can take advantage of to make some Vegas type moves.

I just hope our GM isn't one that makes one of those bad move.

Off the top of my head, TB is already $5M over the cap for next year with a number of players to sign, so they are going to need some help and I suspect will try to make a deal with Francis to help out. EDM is going to be a bit desperate to clear space so they can improve the team before McDavid and Draisaitl get fed up.

I don't think their GMs are dumb, but Francis is still in a position to take advantage.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
True, but as we've seen, there is no shortage of bad moves GMs (and owners) make and I was thinking like you, that the "flat cap hell" is something he can take advantage of to make some Vegas type moves.

I just hope our GM isn't one that makes one of those bad move.

Off the top of my head, TB is already $5M over the cap for next year with a number of players to sign, so they are going to need some help and I suspect will try to make a deal with Francis to help out. EDM is going to be a bit desperate to clear space so they can improve the team before McDavid and Draisaitl get fed up.

I don't think their GMs are dumb, but Francis is still in a position to take advantage.
I could see Neal or Kosk finding their way to Seattle. It’ll be fun watching Tampa do the dance again.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
Stamkos will need surgery in July but wont get it until September because 'it was better for his timeline.' Then he'll be out most of the season.

Nah, I don't think that Tampa wants the league to investigate. They'll make the Kuch injury be a one-time thing and cap-dump Johnson and Killorn this offseason. Smart moves like that cannot be done twice or thrice. Johnson and Killorn are good players, yes, but not core pieces and potentially replaceable with Colton/Barre-Boulet/Stephens/Joseph/Raddysh/Katchouk/Mark Donk.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad