Post-Game Talk: 18 March 2014: Rangers @ Spartacus

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
that's a good point. Doubt that Nashville would have taken a sophomore year defender though :/

True and I'm sure the Rangers preferred getting rid of the guy who will be due a raise in his next contract and keep the guy who will be cheaper.

Still, for as much hate as MDZ got I still think he is and will be the better player than Moore. The only thing Moore is better at than MDZ is skating. Think back to 11-12 and how good MDZ played after Staal went down. He was scoring well and rock solid in our own end.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
True and I'm sure the Rangers preferred getting rid of the guy who will be due a raise in his next contract and keep the guy who will be cheaper.

Still, for as much hate as MDZ got I still think he is and will be the better player than Moore. The only thing Moore is better at than MDZ is skating. Think back to 11-12 and how good MDZ played after Staal went down. He was scoring well and rock solid in our own end.

also good to consider that Klein is getting paid what MDZ would be getting paid, and excels at the task he is given; defend. MDZ, especially the past 2 seasons (lockout season included), hasn't looked that way

If things were to work in favor of MDZ it probably wouuld have looked like:

MDZ Due pay raise this coming season, therefore Moore would have had to have been moved for either a middling forward, low draft pick, or a right side defender. Couple that with the fact that if you were able to trade for a right handed defender, it would have cost another prospect/pick... if you couldn't trade for that right handed defender, you'd have to chase one down in Free Agency, which would run you anything around $5-6M, all to simply give MDZ a real, right-handed defensive partner... then consider that this was our 3rd pairing. was it really worth investing the additional $ into our defensive corps at that point? Because you would then have:

McD - $4.7M
Girardi - $5.5M
Staal - $3.975M
Stralman - $1.7M
MDZ - $3.2M
Replacement Right handed defender - $4M

Total cap space: $23,175,000M in cap space taken

Compared to what he have now:
McD - $4.7M
Girardi - $5.5M
Staal - $3.975M
Stralman - $1.7M
Moore - $.8M
Klein - $2.9

Total Cap Space: 19,585,000M

That's a savings of $5M in cap space. Also consider if Stralman goes and Diaz stays, then that essentially covers the increase of Moore's contract.

For what MDZ would have been paid, and what he was bringing to the table defensively, it was the right move to move him, especially from a business perspective. that $5M can be invested into offensive corps, which at this point the team desperately needs.

BUT, you also have to consider how good MDZ may have gotten after getting that particular partner, and as you stated, he played very well when Staal went down in 2012. That, I cannot answer for you

Last edited:

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Well, I'm not yet eating my words from last night:

http://snyrangersblog.com/former-ra...s-a-healthy-scratch-for-nashville-last-night/

Nashville coach Barry Trotz said after the game that Del Zotto’s game has slipped and he has gotten away from “making solid decisions, solid plays.†(PHT)

Del Zotto was a minus six in his previous three games and since being traded (18 games) Del Zotto has 0 goals, 3 assists and is a minus five.

Del Zotto is averaging 17:06 per game with Nashville (18:45 with the Rangers) and according to Extra Skater the Predators have 50% of the 5 on 5 shot attempts when Del Zotto is on the ice (51.1% with the Rangers).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad