Post-Game Talk: #18 Leafs @ Rangers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
20 games in and I can comfortably say Hayes and Lindberg being 2nd and 3rd on the team in iCorsi/60 was not something I'd have expected.

Greg02

Jun 28, 2009
Expect no because it would say it in the contract. Come back with some hard evidence.

Rick Nash is paid to play hockey. He's making his worth same as all the others.

This is reductionist at best, and you know it.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Just because Nash isn't scoring goals doesn't mean he's not scoring. Because he is and he's the only forward (Minus Zucc) on the team that night in and night out teams HAVE to game plan on.

Take away Nash's time and space and hit him in the mouth to render him offensively useless. That game plan is getting easier and easier for the opposition.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
what is the teams record on both nights the last 17 sets of back to back.

if I didn't miss anything...going back to the home & home with philly nov 28th & 29th of last year here is our records in the 17 sets

Game 1: 11-3-3
Game 2: 15-1-1
Overall: 26-4-4

And twice we lost both games...0-2 vs boston & washington Mar 28/29. 0-1-1 vs nashville and dallas Feb 7&8

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Nash has a nice 9 goal pace ATM. I mean, it's almost impossible to not see him hit 20 if he plays a full 82 games but it's almost just as unlikely that he will score 30. Absolutely forget about 40.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Raspewtin said:
20 games in and I can comfortably say Hayes and Lindberg being 2nd and 3rd on the team in iCorsi/60 was not something I'd have expected.

Hayes doesn't surprise me at all.

Who is #1?

Take away Nash's time and space and hit him in the mouth to render him offensively useless. That game plan is getting easier and easier for the opposition.

Congrats, you just unlocked the secret on how to shut down pretty much every player in the NHL.

BarbaraAlphanse

Nash has a nice 9 goal pace ATM. I mean, it's almost impossible to not see him hit 20 if he plays a full 82 games but it's almost just as unlikely that he will score 30. Absolutely forget about 40.

Remember when he scored 42 last year, had the most gifted post season he could have hoped for with 14 points in 19 games, and I begged... BEGGED... To have him traded before his value plummeted...?

And then "who replaces his production" became a thing?

Yep. Pray he turns it around I guess.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Remember when he scored 42 last year, had the most gifted post season he could have hoped for with 14 points in 19 games, and I begged... BEGGED... To have him traded before his value plummeted...?

His career average is 35 goals a season, this isn't something that was predictable.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY

Do you honestly think Nash is going to finish at 9 goals? He's always been a streaky player. Even during his worst season in 13-14 where he came back from the concussion, he still went on a tear that January where he potted 10 in 11 games or something like that.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014

I feel what you're saying but I just don't think you can move a piece as big as Nash unless you absolutely know what you're getting, especially in a declining cup window. Like, I would move Nash and his 7.5 off the books for a prime 27 year old Marian Gaborik but that wasn't the situation.

You can't just move Nash and say well 7.5 off the books, we can now distribute that 7.5 in 2-3 players and replace those 40 goals and 60-70 points.

Nash is one of the better all around forwards. People sometimes say 'he plays like a 3rd/4th line checking player, he should make 1-2 mill like those guys...'

No, Nash always plays against the other top end players and when he does, he and linemates usually dictate the possession of the game, which is huge. Those pure checking/shutdown players don't do that.

Nash's overall game and success he has from a possession and outscoring the opposition standppoint when is out there as a top line player is underrated, even when he isn't scoring.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
I think people are ignoring the fact that Nash serves a great purpose even when he's not scoring. The other team has to focus on him and key in on him, it absolutely opens up space for Brassard and Zuccarello. They have to worry about Nash at all times.

Points don't tell the whole story. There's plenty of times he's beastly on the boards and cycling and drawing defenders and creating coverage issues for them without him getting a point.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
One momentary flash of anything that he might have predicted at some point and you hear about it forever

Omg yes, but thankfully he's rarely if ever right. He watches a different game from me and am left almost always wondering how on earth he came to that conclusion. Different strokes I guess.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
I think people are ignoring the fact that Nash serves a great purpose even when he's not scoring. The other team has to focus on him and key in on him, it absolutely opens up space for Brassard and Zuccarello. They have to worry about Nash at all times.

Points don't tell the whole story. There's plenty of times he's beastly on the boards and cycling and drawing defenders and creating coverage issues for them without him getting a point.

I think you and 100 cover my sentiment on Nash.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007

Sorry, being a decoy is not good enough for $7.8. If Rash plays well in the plaoffs, we win one, maybe two Cups the last two seasons.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
He did play well. They lost because of injuries. Finishing with 14 points in 19 games is not being a decoy. If that's not playing well then the only players who showed up were Lundqvist and Brassard.

Let's talk about Staal, who, is actually playing like garbage, and is hardly worth a penny he's making.

Jun 25, 2013
www.tannerglassisthebest.com
Sorry, being a decoy is not good enough for $7.8. If Rash plays well in the plaoffs, we win one, maybe two Cups the last two seasons.

Its not that hes a decoy but that teams have to game plan against him. They have to play him tight and respect his game. When that happens you have to have secondary scoring. Or you could end up like the pens.

And lol at punching nash in the face. Last time someone did that too him he bullrushed the net the whole night.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
It's funny, people keep complaining about the 14 in 19, but refuse to acknowledge that he had to drag Marty St. Louis's corpse around the ice for the Washington and beginning of Tampa series. The same Marty St. Louis who was being outplayed by Tanner Glass. But, I mean whatever fits your narratives when we don't want to apply context to anything. Just like him scoring most of his points in bunches was unacceptable, it's also just ignorant to ignore all of the creating he did during the Washington series that Marty just shanked away.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
It's truly amazing how horrawful MSL was in the playoffs last year. Goodness.

BarbaraAlphanse

His career average is 35 goals a season, this isn't something that was predictable.

History isn't always a good indicator for the future. I wanted him traded for playoff performance purposes and felt his regular season production could only get worse from what he did last year. 42 goals. That's a tough replication and from a value standpoint, would be tough to re-achieve.

Do you honestly think Nash is going to finish at 9 goals? He's always been a streaky player. Even during his worst season in 13-14 where he came back from the concussion, he still went on a tear that January where he potted 10 in 11 games or something like that.

No. But I think he'll end up with under 25 goals. Which is not good. He's supposed to be a leader on the ice, offensively. He's a total passenger right now. How many of his 10 points right now can he attribute to Zucc, Brass, or sheer happenstance? He's paid to be an offensive difference maker. He's not playing like one. Hasn't played like one since last February.

I feel what you're saying but I just don't think you can move a piece as big as Nash unless you absolutely know what you're getting, especially in a declining cup window. Like, I would move Nash and his 7.5 off the books for a prime 27 year old Marian Gaborik but that wasn't the situation.

You can't just move Nash and say well 7.5 off the books, we can now distribute that 7.5 in 2-3 players and replace those 40 goals and 60-70 points.

Nash is one of the better all around forwards. People sometimes say 'he plays like a 3rd/4th line checking player, he should make 1-2 mill like those guys...'

No, Nash always plays against the other top end players and when he does, he and linemates usually dictate the possession of the game, which is huge. Those pure checking/shutdown players don't do that.

Nash's overall game and success he has from a possession and outscoring the opposition standppoint when is out there as a top line player is underrated, even when he isn't scoring.

I wanted a stratified return on Nash. My ideal package, for a 42 goal scorer, was Tatar/Nyquist, Mantha/Pulkinenn, #16 overall in last year's draft. Tatar has 11 points thus far. Nyquist 10. Our level of production would have probably been similar with that player, signed at 1/3 - 1/2 of Nash's price, to go along with a piece that could help us out later this year, and another piece that could help us out next year or the following. One foot in the present, one in the future. Not to mention, being able to sign someone with the cap space created.

Okay. Paid to be a decoy? "Points don't tell the whole story" - sorry, I must have missed when sports progressed passed a results oriented industry. What's next - wins don't tell the whole story? Winning the cup doesn't tell the whole story? Yada Yada. Tired of the excuses. Didn't James Harrison address something like this earlier this year, about returning his son's participation trophy.

“I came home to find out that my boys received two trophies for nothing, participation trophies!†Harrison wrote. “While I am very proud of my boys for everything they do and will encourage them till the day I die, these trophies will be given back until they EARN a real trophy. I’m sorry I’m not sorry for believing that everything in life should be earned and I’m not about to raise two boys to be men by making them believe that they are entitled to something just because they tried their best…cause sometimes your best is not enough, and that should drive you to want to do better…not cry and whine until somebody gives you something to shut u up and keep you happy.â€

Yep. "Nash tries his best" got old.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...t-let-his-sons-accept-participation-trophies/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad