Post-Game Talk: #18 Leafs @ Rangers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 8, 2012
NY
JVR? The people clamoring for JVR are the same ones who bash Kreider for stuff like inconsistency, "all tools no toolbox", "low hockey IQ". If you think Kreider has these issues, just wait until you see a season worth of James van Reimsdyk. At least Kreider knows where the defensive zone is located.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Some people just yearn for moves more than wins. That much is obvious on this board.

This is literally the first move of any significance I proposed in years. Years. Everything else was along the lines of, "maybe we can shore up our depth."

We can win all we want in the regular season, but when you pay a guy $7.8 a year to lead a Cup contender, it should probably be someone who has more than 10 goals in 60 playoff games. Guys getting paid of that would be ok at those numbers, but not when you take up so much cap space that we need to move other players to accommodate you, and then you can't put the puck in the net to save a life when it really matters.

Jan 8, 2012
NY
jeremy is 3/5/8 so far with the ice hogs

so he's got 2 more goals in 4 fewer games than nick rash does. i don't count the sympathy goal. :laugh:

and for a lot less cash...

Did you just seriously compare a player's AHL production to another player's NHL production?

Quick! Trade Zuccarello for Joe Whitney! Whitney has 20 points in 16 AHL games and Zucc has 18 points in 18 games. Get rid of the bum.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/llead.php?mode=points&league=AHL

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
there is only 1 player id look to trade for sure, and thats Keith Yandle if we cant lock him up long term.

Not only are we not renting a guy to someone else, we are probably going to get a rental for our own playoff run.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
10 points....10 points.

that is scoring.

if assists didnt count, then Wayne Gretzky would be thought of very differently than he is right now....

If assists didn't count, Wayne Gretzky would only be... the greatest goal scorer ever by almost 100 goals above second-place Gordie Howe despite TGO playing 300 games less. He'd be over 150 goals higher than the third place.

And 10 points in 16 games is nothing extraordinary. It's a 51 point pace. It's the same 10 points that Kreider has and we've said that he has not produced to his ability yet. It's less than Hayes, less than Lindberg, less than 117 NHLers. He's tied for 118th to 145th place right now. He's being paid like a team's dominant player, yet he's tied for 5-8 place on the Rangers and would be the 5th highest scorer on the average NHL team. He'll pick up in the regular season, I'm sure of that. I'm less sure he'll be worth $7.8 in the playoffs.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Show me where in his contact it says he's paid to score goals.

Because last time i checked he's paid to be a professional hockey player. In which he's making what he's worth.

You get paid money like that with the implied responsibility of you scoring because every forward getting paid this much is scoring. Fast is a good all-around player who doesn't score much and he gets under a million a year. Lindberg got a little over half a million a year in the expectation of being a good player who doesn't score much. Nash got $7.8 in the expectation that he'll lead the team in scoring.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey

Because last time i checked he's paid to be a professional hockey player. In which he's making what he's worth.

It's ********.

Stalberg has been a terrific signing, has an off night, and now he's a lobster.

Last edited:

CupWindow

Jul 9, 2015

Different players get paid for different reasons.

Yandle gets paid what he gets paid to bring offense from the blueline

Moore gets paid what he gets paid to be a solid two way 4th liner

Nash gets paid to put the puck in the net. Period. If we purely wanted a backchecker/good PKer (Nash in the playoffs) we would pay a lot less than 7.8 million for one.

It's 7.8 million for a reason. He's expected to score.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
viktor stalberg leaked his badness all over the ice last night

the shine is off that apple.

hes, at best, a 4th liner with lobster claws and rocks for brains.

meanwhile guys with more goals than nick rash. and I'm not counting the charity goal award to him.

2 dan girardi. lololo yeah, that dan girardi. he has more goals than slick rick.

3 klein. yup, the "he's worst than dylan mcilrath and so should be traded for cap space" klein.

3 mcdonagh. who's been mia for most of the season but has come on like gangbusters lately.

all dmen.

nash 0 gw goals and 0 pp goals. 7.8 MILLION

so sad.

One bad game by Stalberg and he's garbage?

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey

Nash gets paid to put the puck in the net. Period. If we purely wanted a backchecker/good PKer (Nash in the playoffs) we would pay a lot less than 7.8 million for one.

So if he put up 100 assists you'd have a problem with it?

There are so many other worse uses of money on this team right now lol

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
The same people complaining about money all the time are also complaining about Stalberg who does what HagelEN (talk about sympathy goals) did for 3 million less. That confuses me.

CupWindow

Jul 9, 2015

Of course I wouldn't

But that's not the case

Nash does not score in the playoffs. Goals or assists. He averages right around .5ppg in the playoffs. That's miserable.

Nearly every cup winner has 1 player hovering around the PPG mark in the playoffs.

We need that type of Rick Nash to show up. Not the one who ends every post game 0 pt performance press conference with "I focus on all areas especially back checking" If we wanted a back checker, we'd pay 1 million.

Greg02

Jun 28, 2009
Rick Nash was brought in after the 2012 season as a reaction to our inability to score in the playoffs during our ECF run. That specific purpose is the reason we traded multiple pieces for him. He has a large contract that was rewarded to him in Columbus with the expectation that he would be their star winger. Here, he is similarly expected to serve that role.

I don't think Nash is playing poorly right now, but neither is he living up to the expectations that his role on the team, contract, and history set. That's okay. We're winning. As long as we keep winning, that keeps the heat (relatively) off of Nash.

But if we start struggling and he still isn't putting the puck in the net, especially in the playoffs...

Loff

Lafdaddy
Dec 7, 2007
Soft euro
Like a kid on christmas.

u8mi0.gif

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007

When Nash puts up 100 assists, I'll be happy with him. When he's tied for 118-143 place in the NHL in points, not so much.

Rick Nash was brought in after the 2012 season as a reaction to our inability to score in the playoffs during our ECF run. That specific purpose is the reason we traded multiple pieces for him

We gave up Dubinsky, who has been a very good playoff performer. Outside of his one poor playoff run right before we traded him, Dubi has 21 points in 28 games, which is .75 ppg, while Nash is .53 career playoff ppg. Even Anisimov has .44 playoff ppg, which is in the ballpark of Nash. Dubi+Artem score almost 1.2 ppg combined in the playoffs. Nash plus whoever is our 12F score maybe .6 in the playoffs. And it's not as if Anisimov or Dubi are useless all-around: they are solid 200-foot players. The salary of Dubi+AA is about even with Nash plus whoever is a 12F.

Last edited:

CupWindow

Jul 9, 2015
When Nash puts up 100 assists, I'll be happy with him. When he's tied for 118-143 place in the NHL in points, not so much.

Look on the bright side.

All of Nash's stellar regular season = miserable post season

Maybe miserable regular season = stellar post season?

April-June is all that matters for Nash everything else is irrelevant.

I don't care if he scores 67 goals and 99 assists if he ***** the bed (backchecks) in the playoffs (again) it was all for nothing

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey

We gave up Dubinsky, who has been a very good playoff performer. Outside of his one poor playoff run right before we traded him, Dubi has 21 points in 28 games, which is .75 ppg, while Nash is .53 career playoff ppg. Even Anisimov has .44 playoff ppg, which is in the ballpark of Nash. Dubi+Artem score almost 1.2 ppg combined in the playoffs. Nash plus whoever is our 12F score maybe .6 in the playoffs. And it's not as if Anisimov or Dubi are useless all-around: they are solid 200-foot players. The salary of Dubi+AA is about even with Nash plus whoever is a 12F.
He said he's "paid to score goals. period."

Of course I wouldn't

But that's not the case

Nash does not score in the playoffs. Goals or assists
. He averages right around .5ppg in the playoffs. That's miserable.

Nearly every cup winner has 1 player hovering around the PPG mark in the playoffs.

We need that type of Rick Nash to show up. Not the one who ends every post game 0 pt performance press conference with "I focus on all areas especially back checking" If we wanted a back checker, we'd pay 1 million.
*2nd in points this past year*

CupWindow

Jul 9, 2015
He said he's "paid to score goals. period."

*2nd in points this past year*

14 in 19 if I recall.

Better, not great.

10th one of the years. Hagelin and Brian Boyle had more than him. Going year by year isn't a great measuring stick.

.53 career ppg is a good measuring stick. And it's awful.

Jun 25, 2013
www.tannerglassisthebest.com

No see you can't just say he gets paid to score goals period. Go look at his ****ing contract. It does not mention him being paid to score goals.

CupWindow

Jul 9, 2015
No see you can't just say he gets paid to score goals period. Go look at his ****ing contract. It does not mention him being paid to score goals.

Hanks contract says nothing about stopping pucks but it's kinda implied....

Yandles contract says nothing about providing offense from the blueline but it's kinda implied....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad