GDT: #18 Devils vs Capitals: Groundhog Day Part II, High Noon Edition

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
it's obvious to anyone actually watching the games that when kovy puts up his massive numbers it's because there were a lot of power plays. i don't understand what's so revolutionary about that quote from deboer.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
it's obvious to anyone actually watching the games that when kovy puts up his massive numbers it's because there were a lot of power plays. i don't understand what's so revolutionary about that quote from deboer.

There's nothing revolutionary about it. It just fits the narrative of those who complain about his ice time.

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
There's nothing revolutionary about it. It just fits the narrative of those who complain about his ice time.

that deboer said he has been and will continue to limit kovy's even strength time pretty much goes against people complaining about his time. it basically means that as long as the devils keep getting lots of power plays, he'll keep getting lots of ice time.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
It's not just the PP either. He's on the PK for almost 2 minutes a game. Combine that with the 6+ minutes he's getting on the PP and he's on special teams for 8 minutes a night.

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
It's not just the PP either. He's on the PK for almost 2 minutes a game. Combine that with the 6+ minutes he's getting on the PP and he's on special teams for 8 minutes a night.

exactly. if games weren't being called so tight, he wouldn't be getting so many minutes, but there have been a ton of calls in most games this season so of course someone who plays full power play and is one of the team's top pkers is going to have a lot of minutes.

i guess in games that turn into penalty fests deboer could try to limit his even strength minutes, but then you're taking your top line off the ice except for special teams.

Bologna 1

Aug 5, 2006
pete needs to not go right back to the same line combinations again. shake them up. just win the damn game tomorrow to take 4 of 6 pts over these last three games and move onto next week.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
4 of 6 points I'd be happy with. We have to take care of business against teams like the Jets. And we absolutely have to if they have some backup goalie in net. Their PP is ranked 21st in the league so let's not them have a field day with our joke of a PK. They also have the last ranked PK in the league at 67.9% so let's not make them look like the 11/12 Devils out there tomorrow.

Can't give points away to these southeast teams. Pretty soon they'll be competing with you for a playoff spot. That division is such a joke that Tampa Bay passed Carolina for the division lead tonight. They knocked Carolina from 3rd all the way down to 10th place.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Win against the Jets and the game today is forgiven.

Agreed there. This one is on home ice so no excuses. Worst PK in the league they have so let's not make their PK look like the 11/12 New Jersey Devils please. Their PP is also on par with our PK right now. I don't know what to expect there!:laugh:

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Agreed there. This one is on home ice so no excuses. Worst PK in the league they have so let's not make their PK look like the 11/12 New Jersey Devils please. Their PP is also on par with our PK right now. I don't know what to expect there!:laugh:

And I'll be in attendance so even LESS of an excuse. :nod::sarcasm: Has there been ANY word on Carter? Did Lou take him out back and shoot him? I know he didn't take the trip to washington, but heard nothing after that.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
And I'll be in attendance so even LESS of an excuse. :nod::sarcasm: Has there been ANY word on Carter? Did Lou take him out back and shoot him? I know he didn't take the trip to washington, but heard nothing after that.

It was reported on Friday that he will not play against Winnipeg.:cry:

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Both games or just tomorrow's? I can see holding him out tomorrow since he hasn't practiced with the team in a few days even if he is cleared to go, but if he isn't cleared for Thursday I'm worried.

Just tomorrow's as of now. I'll be worried too if not by Thursday. The Matteau-Gio-Bernier line I felt was stinking up the joint something fierce. Loktionov, and Butler would be better in those spots I think. I see more offensive upside with them.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Just tomorrow's as of now. I'll be worried too if not by Thursday. The Matteau-Gio-Bernier line I felt was stinking up the joint something fierce. Loktionov, and Butler would be better in those spots I think. I see more offensive upside with them.

Matteau is definitely starting to look his age in the past few games. Ya I agree, I think stick Barch with Gio and Bernier and let Loki and Butler have a real forward to play with. Might get more out of them until Carter returns. Then reunite CBGB because we need at least some consistency. Those three may lack pure skill, but they add energy and do chip in some timely goals. Two things we could use right now with the big guns slumping. Henrique and Zajac need to get going though.

D looked better today then it has for a few games, but the breakout game needs to come back. Hopefully with Fayne back in everyone can settle back into that groove and that will improve. These are the 6 D-men we need to roll, so Pete just needs to stick with it right now and let them groove again.

PK IDK, they either don't move enough, or they over play the puck right now. Everyone is just out of sync with each other. Pretty much the whole team is out of sync right now.

We just need to get our groove back. Nothing to do with the roster or talent at hand, though missing Zubs and Carter right now does hurt. Still this team is perfectly capable of getting back on track, why I don't see the need to panic. They just need to do it.

Use tomorrow to get some confidence back and a win, then use the three days to work out some of these kinks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad