GDT: #18 Devils vs Capitals: Groundhog Day Part II, High Noon Edition

Devils Trap

May 6, 2009
New Jersey
10-4-4 Tied for 1st in the Atlantic

Trade Everyone
Rebuild !!!

PANIC !!!!!!!
I will agree they have looked bad this week, but they couldnt possibly continue how they started the season. They will figure it out or Lou will make a move

Btw, anyone still mad at Kovy for the KHL Saga ?

B A T M A N

I like how after every win you see people say "I ****ing love this team", then after a game like this, those people have undergone complete 180s. Sports can be very bipolar to us.

It was a bad game, it's already out of my head.

apice3*

And cherry picking good games throughout the course of a season to justify losses might be the dumbest things ever. Literally every team in the league could do that.

That is exactly my point. People are looking at this game and saying we lost to the 30th place team.

Well we also took the East's top team to OT, we beat the 2nd place team TWICE, and took the next highest team to a shootout. Excluding us, we have points in 4 out of 5 games against three teams in the East with the most points. We also beat the team we just lost to a couple days ago despite brutal officiating for most of the game.

Both situations are picking and choosing.

Look at the Rangers if you want some perspective. They were supposed to be the NHL's best team. They are now seeing a new player miss a game every day, they have a revolving door of bottom six guys and 3rd pairing (and not like us using multiple NHL players to figure things out, they're relying on AHL call ups and inferior defensemen like Gilroy and Bickel.) They also don't have a 1st round pick or any depth on offense or defense so they really can't even make a trade to improve.

But hey, if you want to dwell on today's 12pm loss with our backup goaltender and missing two top 9 guys, please be my guest. We have room for improvement, every team does. The thing is we will have the opportunity to improve, something that teams like the Rangers can not do because of limited assets. This team will be fine. The sky is falling posts are what tick me off.

apice3*

By the way guys, some of you got your wish. Ilya Kovalchuk had his season low in minutes today.

VaxjoDevil

No kids - Still a person
Nov 11, 2009
Princeton, NJ
By the way guys, some of you got your wish. Ilya Kovalchuk had his season low in minutes today.

Ovechkin played 16 minutes and achieved a lot more than Kovalchuck did in 20. Because short shifts and no overuse is a really good thing for any player. You go in, give it all and get off. You don't pace yourself knowing that you will stay on a lot. Now I know Kovy is not really that high intensity of player but still.

apice3*

I think 25 minutes is where he should be at personally.

More than that is overuse. Less than that is underuse. To an extent, of course.

We're 2-3 when Kovy plays less than 24 minutes.
We're 5-0 when Kovy plays 24-26 minutes.
We're 3-5 when Kovy plays more than 26 minutes.

8 of his 9 lowest TOI totals were against divisional opponents.
8 of his 9 highest TOI totals were against out of division opponents.

There's some rhyme and reason to his ice time.

VaxjoDevil

No kids - Still a person
Nov 11, 2009
Princeton, NJ
I think those stats are a bit skewed since when Devils win they generally have more pp and the reason today for him having less time was that DeBoer gave up in the third and let him rest.

I understand that he is an asset every time he is on ice but he is playing too much because of what we have, or rather don't have, in forward depth, especially with the injuries handed to us. And I know I'm stating the obvious but Parise did leave a gaping hole.

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009
That is exactly my point. People are looking at this game and saying we lost to the 30th place team.

Well we also took the East's top team to OT, we beat the 2nd place team TWICE, and took the next highest team to a shootout. Excluding us, we have points in 4 out of 5 games against three teams in the East with the most points. We also beat the team we just lost to a couple days ago despite brutal officiating for most of the game.

Both situations are picking and choosing.

Look at the Rangers if you want some perspective. They were supposed to be the NHL's best team. They are now seeing a new player miss a game every day, they have a revolving door of bottom six guys and 3rd pairing (and not like us using multiple NHL players to figure things out, they're relying on AHL call ups and inferior defensemen like Gilroy and Bickel.) They also don't have a 1st round pick or any depth on offense or defense so they really can't even make a trade to improve.

But hey, if you want to dwell on today's 12pm loss with our backup goaltender and missing two top 9 guys, please be my guest. We have room for improvement, every team does. The thing is we will have the opportunity to improve, something that teams like the Rangers can not do because of limited assets. This team will be fine. The sky is falling posts are what tick me off.

I'm actually with you for the most part today.

A random regualar season loss isn't gonna get me all in a bundle. Add in we are right back at it tomorrow and should hopefully get a point or two and it's a whatever game.

Especially when I went to see a place to rent next year and the rent is 225 a person. :)

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
just wanted to say- kovy scored from the right!!! he got one!!! stop the clock at 1/4 way through the season.

yeah our top line is a-ok

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I'm actually with you for the most part today.

A random regualar season loss isn't gonna get me all in a bundle. Add in we are right back at it tomorrow and should hopefully get a point or two and it's a whatever game.

Especially when I went to see a place to rent next year and the rent is 225 a person. :)

That is how I am trying to see it. Win tomorrow and we would of played 3 games in 4 days and won 2 out of 3. Makes today's game less sucky.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I give credit for Pete not using Kovy much today. The game was a lost cause. Unlike that Pittsburgh loss where he was out on the very last shift.

You can blame Moose, and say he sunk the team. The fact of the matter is that we had about a minute forty of PP time before that. Had we scored before that clear that gaffe would have never happened.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I give credit for Pete not using Kovy much today. The game was a lost cause. Unlike that Pittsburgh loss where he was out on the very last shift.

You can blame Moose, and say he sunk the team. The fact of the matter is that we had about a minute forty of PP time before that. Had we scored before that clear that gaffe would have never happened.

Ehhh I am not going to buy that. That is just a gaffe that can't happen. There was still time to potentially score on what was left on the PP, and even if we didn't it would of still been a one goal game and we wouldn't have been as deflated, could of scored the equalizer even strength. Like the goal Volch pretty much let up himself against Pitt, gaffe's like that can, and clearly was a back breaker.

Love Moose to death, and one of the best back ups we could have, but lets be real, especially if we can spend all day trashing on the rest of the team. He probably should of had a piece of the 1st goal in the 3rd, and definitely should of never allowed the 2nd goal in the 3rd. He had a bad game and was part of a team wide losing effort.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Ehhh I am not going to buy that. That is just a gaffe that can't happen. There was still time to potentially score on what was left on the PP, and even if we didn't it would of still been a one goal game and we wouldn't have been as deflated, could of scored the equalizer even strength. Like the goal Volch pretty much let up himself against Pitt, gaffe's like that can, and clearly was a back breaker.

Love Moose to death, and one of the best back ups we could have, but lets be real, especially if we can spend all day trashing on the rest of the team. He probably should of had a piece of the 1st goal in the 3rd, and definitely should of never allowed the 2nd goal in the 3rd. He had a bad game and was part of a team wide losing effort.

Just because it was Ovechkin (One of the best shooters in the league) I'd give Moose a pass on the second Ovechkin goal. After all Kovy's on Holtby was indentical. He was playing a bit far out though, and if Marty gave that up damn right he'd be called out on it.

The team did stop playing after that 3rd goal though. They didn't even seem interested in killing the penalty that Ovy completed the hat trick on. I said to myself ''If Washington don't score here they really suck cause our guys aren't moving''. The one Brouwer scored on where Larsson (?) was in the box I admit I wasn't paying much attention. However I did call that someone would score a goal on it.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
As much as DeBoer admires Kovalchuk’s conditioning, he has been trying to limit his minutes some. But, in games like Thursday’s when the Devils have a lot of power-play time, it’s not as easy because Kovalchuk stays out for almost the full two minutes.

“That plays a big factor in it,” DeBoer said. “Those aren’t the hard minutes that 5-on-5 (minutes) are. If it’s a 5-on-5 game, we’re going to try and make a conscious effort to cut it back a little bit.

Link

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Just because it was Ovechkin (One of the best shooters in the league) I'd give Moose a pass on the second Ovechkin goal. After all Kovy's on Holtby was indentical. He was playing a bit far out though, and if Marty gave that up damn right he'd be called out on it.

The team did stop playing after that 3rd goal though. They didn't even seem interested in killing the penalty that Ovy completed the hat trick on. I said to myself ''If Washington don't score here they really suck cause our guys aren't moving''. The one Brouwer scored on where Larsson (?) was in the box I admit I wasn't paying much attention. However I did call that someone would score a goal on it.

Why it was a team loss. Even when it was 3-1 they could of fought harder to pick Moose up for his blunder, but instead they imploded.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad