Post-Game Talk: #18 | Blue Jackets at Flyers | November 19, 2023 | Win 5-2

mr4tno

Oct 13, 2017
I could not watch the game but did record it. Is it worth watching? I mean did the Flyers play an entertaining brand of hockey - skating, passing, etc? or was it more lunch pail, gritty and boring - played 5 feet at a time?

Reactions: Danko

WIP CALLER

Aug 18, 2016
I could not watch the game but did record it. Is it worth watching? I mean did the Flyers play an entertaining brand of hockey - skating, passing, etc? or was it more lunch pail, gritty and boring - played 5 feet at a time?
It was better than the jets-bills game that was on at the same time, that’s for sure.

thedjpd

Sponsor
Dec 12, 2002
San Jose, CA

They have been playing this way most of the season.

Only in a couple games where they are out talented (and some even if not) have they had to play a more defensive style.

Folks can’t accept it because “Torts!”

Will they stay good or play this way? No idea. But they have been so far all season.

Reactions: Ghosts Beer

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
On Snow the Goalie's morning wrap-up following the Carolina win a few days ago, Russ Joy was talking about trading Sean Walker for a 3rd round pick at the trade deadline.

Are you f'ing kidding me? A 3rd round pick? For a RH defenseman playing this well? There can't be a more underrated defenseman in the league right now than Walker. And neither ASF nor Bundy offered any resistance.

If they don't get a 1st round pick, forget it. And they should be trying to extend Walker first and foremost.

The fact that he has an under-the-radar name shouldn't mean more than his play on the ice.
In my inexpert opinion, Walker's value is somewhere between a 1st and a 3rd, but closer at present to the 1st. I'd be leery to pay for his present value due to his injury history and the potential drop-off or reinjury towards the end of the season. However, Walker should be of great interest to teams like Edmonton whose path to a deep playoff run are being derailed by awful team defense.

Reactions: Rebels57

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
If a team offers a first for Walker, there’s no debate, pull the trigger
86o8t1.jpg

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
"We owe it to our fans / this team" is the new FO anti-rebuild shield.
Almost. From the Athletic:

“If we have a chance to make the playoffs I think that’s great, and I’m not going to hinder that,” Briere said. “But at the same time..we’re going to make the decisions that are best for the future of the organization. Not just get stuck in the moment.

“What does that mean? I don’t know yet. We have to keep in mind too that (we) might have some ideas of what we want to do, but you need a partner to dance with when it comes to assets. … I keep the door open, I keep looking around, I have discussions with a lot of different GMs. It doesn’t mean anything is going to happen. I really don’t know. We’re adjusting as we go along here.”

Reactions: BernieParent

BernieParent

Mar 13, 2009

“If we have a chance to make the playoffs I think that’s great, and I’m not going to hinder that,” Briere said. “But at the same time..we’re going to make the decisions that are best for the future of the organization. Not just get stuck in the moment.

“What does that mean? I don’t know yet. We have to keep in mind too that (we) might have some ideas of what we want to do, but you need a partner to dance with when it comes to assets. … I keep the door open, I keep looking around, I have discussions with a lot of different GMs. It doesn’t mean anything is going to happen. I really don’t know. We’re adjusting as we go along here.”
Thanks, Bill. I was quoting Briere's boss.

Reactions: BillDineen

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
If a team offers a first for Walker, there’s no debate, pull the trigger
Yup. Teams rarely offer a first for these types anymore. Take it and run. Can even make a run at him in free agency if you are so inclined. I just can't imagine a scenario where an in-season extension makes sense. It would have to be a hell of a discount to pass on a first rounder.

He's having a career year in a contract year on the verge of 30 and seeing usage he's never seen before. The career year is 18 games. At a certain point you have to look at the back of his hockey card. It's a solid if not unspectacular player.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

It means they’re going to do nothing at the trade deadline.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com

If DB is being honest here with these statements, then he and Tortorella are not on the same page. Torts will pressure for moves to be made in order to make the POs. Look for him to go to Jones and/or Hilferty and circumvent Briere to make what he wants happen.
Sure I like what Torts has done to get better play out of the roster but he's not interested in developing the youth. He's out to win at any expense. Not the right guy for this club at this time.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
In my inexpert opinion, Walker's value is somewhere between a 1st and a 3rd, but closer at present to the 1st. I'd be leery to pay for his present value due to his injury history and the potential drop-off or reinjury towards the end of the season. However, Walker should be of great interest to teams like Edmonton whose path to a deep playoff run are being derailed by awful team defense.
I don’t think Sean Walker has an extensive injury history. Just the one major knee injury & surgery that cost him a season.

We’ve all witnessed how difficult it is to add solid all-around defensemen, particularly with a RH shot. I’m not eager to take a step back & recreate a significant hole by trading Walker from the D if we don’t have to.

The Flyers already have two first rd picks in 2024. Is it really worth removing a key component of their D corps in exchange for a late first round pick?

If they can extend Walker, maybe something around 4 years & $4M per, that’s my first choice. Only if he wants to become a free agent do I trade him.

Reactions: BernieParent

pooch

May 30, 2017
I don’t think Sean Walker has an extensive injury history. Just the one major knee injury & surgery that cost him a season.

We’ve all witnessed how difficult it is to add solid all-around defensemen, particularly with a RH shot. I’m not eager to take a step back & recreate a significant hole by trading Walker from the D if we don’t have to.

The Flyers already have two first rd picks in 2024. Is it really worth removing a key component of their D corps in exchange for a late first round pick?

If they can extend Walker, maybe something around 4 years & $4M per, that’s my first choice. Only if he wants to become a free agent do I trade him.
In my opinion, it's far more advantageous to have young players on Michkov's timeline than it is to sign a 29 yr old D for 4 years (or whatever the contract would be). He's been really good and I like him as a player, but he's the right player at the wrong time. Let's sell high for once.

pit

5th Most Improved Poster
Jun 25, 2005
Toronto

That paragraph scares the crap out of me because it reminds me of my boss when he has no clue what he is doing, but wants to sound like he is.

Says "I don't know" a bunch, says he is looking around and talking to people, says we're figuring it out as we go along, never says anything of vision or substance.

Maybe it's a smoke and mirror thing Danny is doing for the sake of potential trade partners or maybe he doesn't know exactly what he's doing. I guess we'll see.

BernieParent

Mar 13, 2009

Thanks, GB. I seem to remember that his knee injury was a prominent mention around the trade. And we know that his play will prompt higher use, and more ice time means more wear and tear. Plus, when a player is playing far above what is career has shown, a regression to the mean is more likely, not to mention that he just turned 29, which I don't believe aligns with their realistic timeline.

As for 1st round picks, if the Flyers are not selecting top 5 (top 10?), they will almost certainly have to rely on quantity to land a top line/pairing player.

pit

5th Most Improved Poster
Jun 25, 2005
Toronto
Don’t need the first to be this year. Even if it is, you can always trade it for a future one or a player. These are weird arguments.

Did Danny learned from his mentor Chuck that you always trade for a first in the year where the draft class has a worse outlook because then the negotiations go easier and you don't miss out on nap time?

Reactions: FLYguy3911

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad