'18-'19 Pacific Division

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
You think those 2 and some individual regression is worth a 20-25 pt drop in the standings?
Severe.

Same coch, same systems, same D core, same goalies.... same smothering speed.

I agree not much has changed in those respects, but I do prescribe to the perfect storm theory in some measure. I have some doubt as to how much that team was running on adrenaline last year. Factor in that the whole league is going to be in on Karlsson, I feel it will be a fantastically small chance he repeats his numbers. Then you take out Neal, and Perron, and add Statsny, and Tatar. Similar on paper but how much that affects the team chemistry remains to be seen. On top of that Fleury will also be hard-pressed to repeat his performance. Just enough questions to cause problems perhaps.

My biggest concern is burn out with these guys. The system they play requires insane attention to detail, and desire, thus mental acuity, and physicality. Much like Chicago, Pitt, and LA, we see the results a vigorous cup run can have on a team.

You could be right though, they have the same type of pieces, and strategy moving forward.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
I agree not much has changed in those respects, but I do prescribe to the perfect storm theory in some measure. I have some doubt as to how much that team was running on adrenaline last year. Factor in that the whole league is going to be in on Karlsson, I feel it will be a fantastically small chance he repeats his numbers. Then you take out Neal, and Perron, and add Statsny, and Tatar. Similar on paper but how much that affects the team chemistry remains to be seen. On top of that Fleury will also be hard-pressed to repeat his performance. Just enough questions to cause problems perhaps.

My biggest concern is burn out with these guys. The system they play requires insane attention to detail, and desire, thus mental acuity, and physicality. Much like Chicago, Pitt, and LA, we see the results a vigorous cup run can have on a team.

You could be right though, they have the same type of pieces, and strategy moving forward.

Another factor will be that teams are much better prepared for them this year.

Reactions: Jimnastic

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Another factor will be that teams are much better prepared for them this year.
Thats a silly argument, once they started winning games and beating teams easy, the rest a the league became more prepared but still couldnt beat the better quality Las vegas team. Playoffs are playoffs, teams didnt need to wait til next year to be BETTER prepared lol

Reactions: pgj98m3

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
I think the Kings are a very overrated team. Kovy is a wild card but he is 35 and basically the entire team is over 30. I wouldnt be shocked if they finish beneath us.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
I think the Kings are a very overrated team. Kovy is a wild card but he is 35 and basically the entire team is over 30. I wouldnt be shocked if they finish beneath us.
I don't see anyway Kopitar and Brown duplicate last season's production...

Easy prediction for me for missing the playoffs.

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
Sharks - continue with their transition,not really improving in points but other teams regressing around them.
Vegas - bit of a regression as the team comes down to earth somewhat.
Flames - after a slow start,they play to their potential and are a big riser.
Coyotes - finally haul themselves out of the basement and get the last playoff spot.
Oilers - some improvement over last year but no playoffs again.
Ducks - age and injuries take their toll on their forward group and goals are hard to come by
Kings - Last season was their swan song like the 14/15 Canucks.
Canucks - better than expected as Pettersson brings it and the goaltending is much better but still finish last.

Last edited:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Sharks - continue with their transition,not really improving in points but other teams regressing around them.
Vegas - bit of a regression as the team comes down to earth somewhat.
Flames - after a slow start,they play to their potential and are a big riser.
Coyotes - finally haul themselves out of the basement and get the last playoff spot.
Oilers - some improvement over last year but no playoffs again.
Ducks - age and injuries take their toll on their forward group and goals are hard to come by
Kings - Last season was their swan song like the 14/15 Canucks.
Canucks - better than expected as Pettersson brings it and the goaltending is much better but still finish last.
Yes, this projection for standings in the Pacific seems reasonable. And that's what makes the Canucks' UFA binge on July 1st even harder to swallow. Even after signing Beagle, Roussel and Schaller they're still finishing dead last. And the only value in finishing 'dead last' besides your draft position, is the opportunity to audition a younger roster. Hopefully by the trade deadline the Canucks have realized the error of their ways and start shipping more guys out to make way for the kids in Utica.

But unfortunately the list of 'untradeable' players on the Canucks just keeps growing. And three latest UFA signings aren't going anywhere.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Gaudettes still considered a rookie, Einstien :shakehead

Sigh. Its best if your English is better when you are "attempting" to be condescending ...

Gaudettes still considered a rookie, Einstien .... should be

Gaudette is still considered a rookie, Einstein.

1. This is not relevant to the point he was making.

2. Pettersson will make the team, but the f*** ups on the Canucks may send gaudette to Utica, because you know, Beagle, Schaller and Roussel.

3. Oh why bother ....

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Sigh. Its best if your English is better when you are "attempting" to be condescending ...

Gaudettes still considered a rookie, Einstien .... should be

Gaudette is still considered a rookie, Einstein.

1. This is not relevant to the point he was making.

2. Pettersson will make the team, but the **** ups on the Canucks may send gaudette to Utica, because you know, Beagle, Schaller and Roussel.

3. Oh why bother ....
Billy, just a friendly reminder:

When you used "its" it should have been "it's" in your opening paragraph/sentence.

Hopefully we can learn these things together! :nod:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
If Pettersson doesn't make the Canucks out of camp then no other team in the Pacific division will have any rookies on it this season.
A few rookies could make it. I like Yamamoto's chances of sticking in Edmonton; and Rasmus Anderson might crack the deep Flames blueline; Gabe Vilardi might be a kid to watch in L.A.; and it's hard to believe that a low-budget team like Arizona won't have a rookie or two on ELC's make their opening night lineup. But I get your point. The Pacific is top-heavy with veteran-laden rosters.

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
Schmidt suspended for a quarter of a season. That's a factor, he was their best defenseman last year.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Schmidt suspended for a quarter of a season. That's a factor, he was their best defenseman last year.
Yep, Vegas is my pick in the Pacific to come crashing back to earth. They've lost some key pieces from last season like Neal, Perron and now Schmidt. And Fleury is due for a correction. Might not bottom out, but don't see them as a playoff team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad