18/19 MGMT Thread XI. We're totally rebuilding! LalalaIcan'thearyoulalala...!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
Following the signing of Teves, we have 48 contracts, right? Who are these 48 people?

I guess the last two spots tentatively are reserved for Brassard and Lockwood. It's very possible Brassard does not get signed.

Matthew Brassard - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
William Lockwood - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

I guess they could wait until after July 1 for Lockwood which frees up a spot. They can also wait on making a decision on Brassard to see if they are successful in getting one or two of their remaining NCAA UFA targets: Sturm (rumoured), Hutton (my guess), or Keeper (my guess).

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Ed Willes on his podcast says he can see a scenario where Benning and Weisbrod are gone at the end of the season. He'll talk more about it next week. Hoping he's right.

I doubt Aquaman got either the intelligence or the balls to do what is right.

Dude thinks Benning is the best thing happened in hockey since the invention of the puck.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I doubt Aquaman got either the intelligence or the balls to do what is right.

Dude thinks Benning is the best thing happened in hockey since the invention of the puck.

All this talk is getting my hopes up though. I'll probably end up crushed again when it doesn't happen. I do think, realistically, next offseason after the Canucks finish at the bottom of the standings again will be his last. But I'd rather not wait that long. Especially, depending on the damage Benning does in free agency, it's probably going to take a new GM another 3 years or so to clean up Benning's mess.

All of a sudden our down time is looking awfully close to Edmonton's. Laughable how the Benning Bro's screamed that we don't want to become Edmonton, but in the same breath said we need to keep Benning. :laugh:

Reactions: Grip it N RYP it

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
All this talk is getting my hopes up though. I'll probably end up crushed again when it doesn't happen. I do think, realistically, next offseason after the Canucks finish at the bottom of the standings again will be his last. But I'd rather not wait that long. Especially, depending on the damage Benning does in free agency, it's probably going to take a new GM another 3 years or so to clean up Benning's mess.

All of a sudden our down time is looking awfully close to Edmonton's. Laughable how the Benning Bro's screamed that we don't want to become Edmonton, but in the same breath said we need to keep Benning. :laugh:

Whoa, let's not go nuts here.

That team fired their GM (or president or whatever the f*** Chiarelli was) and they have McDavid.

We're not quite on the same page, because they're probably ahead of us by now.
:laugh:

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Aquilini is susceptible to people whispering in his ear. If he’s talking to people around the league that may be all that’s necessary because most experts don’t believe they’ve done a good job.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Interesting podcast by Ed Willes...I think he is fairly reputable (a reporter,not a tabloid writer)....Maybe some posters here will get their wish?...He is basing his prediction on Aqualini's itchy trigger finger.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Aquilini is susceptible to people whispering in his ear. If he’s talking to people around the league that may be all that’s necessary because most experts don’t believe they’ve done a good job.
I think it's 'wishful thinking' for posters who want Benning gone at the end of the season. After five years of basic ineptitude, there's no question that would be the correct decision.

But the Aquaman took such a beating in the media for dumping Linden, I'm not sure he has the gonads to clean house at the end of the season. More likely the broom comes out if the Canucks suck out of the gate next season.

Of course that leaves the entire UFA situation up in the air. If the owners aren't convinced the current regime will last, than they need to keep Jimbo and his hockey ops department on a very short leash come July 1st.

Krnuckfan

Oct 11, 2006

I also remember the benningbro defence to the signings of roussell + beagle + schaller last summer being "we need veterans!!! do you want to be the next edmonton!!!" while completely oblivious to the fact that was exactly what edmonton did when they signed belanger hordichuk eager all in one offseason.

I think even if benning isnt fired at the end next season will be the final straw. Only way I see aquilini not firing him is if he makes the playoffs next year. Does this team have a realistic shot at the playoffs next year? I highly doubt it.

Our only major additions would be Hughes + UFA depth dman + maybe a ferlund/simmonds?

If Markstrom regresses or edler/tanev's play fall off they're done for.

Reactions: TruKnyte

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
The youths at my work have finally come around on the anti-Benning bandwagon. I take that as a good sign.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Ed Willes on his podcast says he can see a scenario where Benning and Weisbrod are gone at the end of the season. He'll talk more about it next week. Hoping he's right.

Is that the white towel podcast?

Phenomenon13

Oct 10, 2011
The discussion isn't even heading towards a discussion about management anymore.

One thing I'd like clarification on is, does Benning have full control of Utica? He's not president of hockey ops, he's gm of the Canucks which means he handles the Canucks. I've always assumed president of hockey ops oversaw the GM of both Canucks and Comets. Or has Jim temporarily assumed responsibility of both roles.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
The discussion isn't even heading towards a discussion about management anymore.

One thing I'd like clarification on is, does Benning have full control of Utica? He's not president of hockey ops, he's gm of the Canucks which means he handles the Canucks. I've always assumed president of hockey ops oversaw the GM of both Canucks and Comets. Or has Jim temporarily assumed responsibility of both roles.
Ryan Johnson is nominally the Comets' gm, although he doesn't really do anything. Henning was the last/only guy in charge of the Comets who took his job seriously and actually made an effort to build a decent team and program. Did a damn good job, too. But he's gone now.

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
Wish one of our powder puff media members would ask this exact question next time they talk to Benning:

"Jim, as a knowledgeable GM you know it's never a good idea to draft for position and always take the best player available; that said, why did you choose Olli Juolevi over Tkachuk when the consensus even among casual hockey fans was that Tkachuk was the better player?"

Reactions: timw33

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Wish one of our powder puff media members would ask this exact question next time they talk to Benning:

"Jim, as a knowledgeable GM you know it's never a good idea to draft for position and always take the best player available; that said, why did you choose Olli Juolevi over Tkachuk when the consensus even among casual hockey fans was that Tkachuk was the better player?"

Alternatively...

"Hey Jim, how does it feel to literally GIFT one of the most dynamic young scoring wingers to a division rival while watching your own draft pick rot into a pile of puke?"

Reactions: mathonwy and B-rock

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
I'd go with the more subtle approach. I want to see his awkward gait and listen how many "ums" and "you knows" stammer out of his lips before he pretends he doesn't understand the question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad