18/19 MGMT thread VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

member 290103

The drafts are certainly not a result of Benning's talent evaluation skill. He's one voice in the room and he doesn't seem to be the type to veto his scouts and make the call unless it's close, which shouldn't surprise anyone.

A GM can, however, influence the draft in a big way in terms of asking his scouts to identify players with certain skillsets, valuing certain skillsets/traits over others, overhauling the scouting staff, including bringing in a new director of amateur scouting, allowing the team to draft Russians, wanting to draft goalies using a high pick etc. These things can make a difference. For example, Gillis' "moneypuck" philosophy of not dismissing older prospects who were on a seemingly steep development curve led the Canucks to draft Mallet but also Hutton. Meanwhile, Benning, Weisbrod, and Brackett rate the USHL highly and you see the Canucks draft players like Gaudette and Madden who they thought had underachieved at the USHL level.

Part of the GM's job is to evaluate his staff. I expected Benning to properly evaluate his scouting staff and it looks like he did and made the changes he wanted to make. Gillis did too and made changes but by his and Gilman's admittance they made changes a bit late.

In the same vein, a GM may actually not have a bigger influence on pro scouting as he does on the amateur side. Teams do have a pro scouting staff as well. When Gillis was GM, he relied heavily on Eric Crawford who was initially his director of pro scouting.

Yes, that's fair. Like I said, Benning's management of his scouting staff has been very good. I don't think we would suggest otherwise. I am just trying to say that the identification of players outside of round 1, is not based on his master talent evaluation skills - as some like to suggest.

Regardless, in every other capacity with respect to his position, he has failed miserably.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
AMATEUR SCOUTING AND PRO SCOUTING ARE COMPLETELY DIFFERENT.

Pro scouting is literally a GM’s main job. It’s why Benning has the huge white board in his office. They might send the pro scouts out to do some extra work on a player the GM is interested in, but for every team in the NHL it flows pretty much entirely through the GMs office.

Amateur scouting is run by the head scout and his staff. The GM may lay down some guidelines but NHL GMs don’t have time to be watching USHL games in the middle of an NHL season. There are countless quotes from GMs over the years explaining this. Benning didn’t even know what league Tryamkin was playing in when we drafted him.

That anyone could still not understand this is mind boggling.

Can you cite a single source in support of your claims?

Hollywood Burrows

Jan 23, 2009
EAST VANCOUVER
Benning is perhaps the most active amateur scouting GM in the league. Mark Spector notes that he wishes the Oilers could find a Benning clone. Perception of this management team is becoming very positive around the league.

lmao mark spector, who deleted everything he ever tweeted about chiarelli on the day he was fired, is definitely an accurate judge of front office talent.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Can you cite a single source in support of your claims?

Quotes from Jim Nill to Jarmo Kekäläinen to Ken Holland have been posted here multiple times in the past. Like, this is common knowledge.

In the case of the Canucks, Weisbrod also clearly has huge input. What we see from pro scouting is mainly those two guys.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Quotes from Jim Nill to Jarmo Kekäläinen to Ken Holland have been posted here multiple times in the past. Like, this is common knowledge.

In the case of the Canucks, Weisbrod also clearly has huge input. What we see from pro scouting is mainly those two guys.

And even if it isn't, who's in charge here? Who runs the team and decides who does what? The miserable pro scouting is either a) Benning sucking at pro scouting or b) Benning putting someone who sucks in charge of pro scouting. Take your pick, neither way looks good.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Perception of this management team is becoming very positive around the league.

Same thing happened with the Oilers in the Hall-RNH-Eberle days. Put a couple high profile kids on the ice and it's easy to trick the wider media who may not be paying attention to the smaller details of a team that this team is doing a great job and will be the next big thing. This 'perception' you talk about is being carried single handedly by Pettersson.

Reactions: pomorick and timw33

Bobby Digital

Jun 15, 2006
Roussel, Sutter, Beagle, Eriksson, Gudbranson, Gagner.

Roughly 22 million tied up into this group. Not a single top 4 dman or top 6 foward on a good team.

Even if you think his drafting is excellent you can't build a sustainable contender with this type of cap managment. The guy has no clue when it comes to hand out contracts.

Last edited:

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
I can’t wait to get decimated in the playoffs this year, only to have a huge regression next year, after Aquillini sees playoffs and pushes for win now moves this offseason. Whoop do f***ing do

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
And Sutter to Toews and Bergeron.
And Juolevi to Lidstrom. Am I missing any?

Just yesterday he called Ashton Sautner, who has averaged about 10 assists/80 GP in the AHL over four seasons and is about as pure a glass-and-out guy as it gets, a ‘skill puck moving defender’.

The guy literally has no idea what he’s watching when he’s staring a hockey game. Sometimes he gets dazzled by a hard shot or a hit that makes the boards rattle.

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002
I just wish that Benning would wear a cloak and sit on a throne already. Nevermind what is being watched or studied, with a seer stone Benning is able to read the golden tablets that contain the player's future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad